• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Passengers In Parked Cars

mariner

This isn't about a legality in motoring per se, but I wonder if there's anyone out there who can give some advice on this situ.

A week ago a friend of mine had been parked near Independance Square and had been showing his girlfriend some pics from his laptop, cos he had returned from a couple of months abroad. It was probably around 9pm. A cop had come and rapped on the car with his pistol, and had asked my friend to step out, and rudely asked "thamusela h*********?" (Are you'll f-in in there). Funny thing was my friend was parked near a street light, the last place he would've chosen if he had ulterior motives :jumping-smiley-013:

He was told there there is a law saying you can't be with a woman in your own car. My friend replied that he had no knowledge about such a law, and had simply been showing some pictures on his laptop. The cop had been extremely rude to him infront of the girlfriend. My friend isn't very fluent with sinhala but his GF is, and she wasn't very amused. Anyway the cop had threatened to fine him, wen my friend said he would rather take the issue to courts, cos he suspected the cop was asking for a bribe. In the end he got away without paying anything, I guess the cop could see he wasn't guilty. I asked a few people and they couldn't tell us anything about such a law. I don't think calling a police station and asking about it is such a good option for him :P

So does anyone know about a law saying a guy and a girl can't be seated in a parked car alone on the road? I mean yea I can see the possible connotations, and the fact that the car was parked on a public road, but I don't think it's right for cops to assume things either. Not to mention come knocking on the car with a gun. It's your own car after all. I remember on the old forum someone had written about a friend who had been pulled up for a similar thing at parliament grounds, but he happened to be a lawyer and humbled the cop. I doubt I'd be able to find that post though, so any info about this is appreciated.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't about a legality in motoring per se, but I wonder if there's anyone out there who can give some advice on this situ.

A week ago a friend of mine had been parked near Independance Square and had been showing his girlfriend some pics from his laptop, cos he had returned from a couple of months abroad. It was probably around 9pm. A cop had come and rapped on the car with his pistol, and had asked my friend to step out, and rudely asked "thamusela h*********?" (Are you'll f-in in there). Funny thing was my friend was parked near a street light, the last place he would've chosen if he had ulterior motives :jumping-smiley-013:

He was told there there is a law saying you can't be with a woman in your own car. My friend replied that he had no knowledge about such a law, and had simply been showing some pictures on his laptop. The cop had been extremely rude to him infront of the girlfriend. My friend isn't very fluent with sinhala but his GF is, and she wasn't very amused. Anyway the cop had threatened to fine him, wen my friend said he would rather take the issue to courts, cos he suspected the cop was asking for a bribe. In the end he got away without paying anything, I guess the cop could see he wasn't guilty. I asked a few people and they couldn't tell us anything about such a law. I don't think calling a police station and asking about it is such a good option for him :P

So does anyone know about a law saying a guy and a girl can't be seated in a parked car alone on the road? I mean yea I can see the possible connotations, and the fact that the car was parked on a public road, but I don't think it's right for cops to assume things either. Not to mention come knocking on the car with a gun. It's your own car after all. I remember on the old forum someone had written about a friend who had been pulled up for a similar thing at parliament grounds, but he happened to be a lawyer and humbled the cop. I doubt I'd be able to find that post though, so any info about this is appreciated.

Well dude somethin of the similar nature happened to me when i was back in SL this jan....i was goin back home with my sis around 11pm after a party and i took the indy square road to turn off at the royal sports complex road...anyway 4 cops heard my car coming and just before i could turn stopped me...they asked me who the girl in the front seat was and i said it was my sis...anyway they asked me for my license and a cop bugger went aroud the car to my sisters side and asked for her ID...my sis had forgotten to bring it and told the cop....at this point all 4 cops had come to the car and i could see the cop who asked my sis for her ID talking to the other 2 cops behind my car...they were all young buggers too and tried to be funny... the cop who took my license told me that since the coutry was in a state of emergency everyone had to carry their ID's with them...i explained to the guy that we were after a party and i was goin home and that i would make sure that my sis carries her ID next time...this guy was pretty nice and told the others that it was ok...so i just drove away...i guess sometimes its better when u talk nicely to these guys irrespective of what they say to u...i just explained the situ (in my broken sinhalese) and the bugger listened...all cops are not the same though and ive had worse experiences...so thats all i can say for now dude....

hi guys. Its so freaking true its outrageous. Infact I even asked one of my uncles who works for the police what the real...law or whatever it is. And what he said was that it depends on the cop. And basically they can cause you trouble for having a passenger in the car...and being parked somewhere. According to him most come and cause problems to get some money outta you.(he pointed out that even some big shot dude got into trouble)

But still for all, I dont think its their right to come you know ask whats going on inside the vehicle, unless dey have some kind of investigation going on regarding the vehicle. But ahhh I think all of the above posts are by :-D people in their early 20's including mine :P .

Lets see what the Uncles/Aiya's gotta say about....mmm "having a passenger :jumping-smiley-013: in the car and parking at night somewhere..." and the cops coming and making an issue of outta it.

restating the argument "DO U THINK ITS OK FOR THE COPS TO BARGE IN AND ASK WHATS GOING ON FROM 2 PPL in a PARKED CAR AT NIGHT or morning"

ive been pulled up once with my best friend for being parked near his place having a cigarette and with my girlfriend once parked outside her house...

wat happend with my best friend was we were havin a smoke n a bloody patrol jeep came wit abt 8 cops n did a routine ID check n checkd the car the head cop told me off for being out at nite...i was soo f**kin mad dat he was soo f**kin rude that i told him off sayin that if ur fate was to get stabbed or mugged however careful u r it will happen...u cant stay lockd up in ur house all day...n he was like 'ok ok' in english and they drove off...i wudnt hav spoken like that if he hadnt raised his voice at me

incident with my gf was i was jus droppin her home one nite n we jus talkin for abt 5 mins wen dis soldier came up from a checkpoint near douglas devananda's house n tappd at the shutter...i put it down n he was like 'wat r u doin?' pretty damn rude n i was like 'im droppin a friend off is there a problem?'...he replied 'no u cant park arnd here' n b4 i cud say anythng further my gf stoppd me...

both incidents were under street lights bright as hell n my car has absolutely no tint...

Well something like this happened 2 me last Saturday around 1.30pm..near Independance square..but I was alone in the car..I just parked by the road to reply a sms..and I was only there 2 abt 2,3 mins..two cops in a bike came and they wanted 2 know what I was doing there..they said u are not supposed 2 park in this area (this was infront of 80 club) and they wanted 2 check my licence and Id. I told them that I didnt know it was forbidden 2 park here.and I even had the right singal on..So I told them as far as I know I have done nothing wrong here..

Anyway then they said to be carefull from here onwards and took off..

Is it illegal to park in that area? :jumping-smiley-013:

I remember parking in galle road a tad far from a Police No Parking board in wella, i mean i was far from it, hardly can be seen.. but the effin cop charged me, i didnt have my license then, and he kinda understood my singlish, he charged me jus for the parking!! :jumping-smiley-013:, so like someone said up there, good cops do breed in LK... tho the effin f**ker charged me for parking!! :P

How about a testing session?! Get a girl in the backseat, park @ independance sq, and wait for the cops!! lol...

u test...we'll sit back n watch

Damn shame.... all this trouble over the front seat passengers....

hav u forgotten that u want a passenger?

:-D hey dude nice idea how about a test. hehe I'm kidding...but yeah man...they should make Indi a cop free zone. I'd love that....and us good old Sri Lankans when in SL, can take our cars out and hangout there FOR AS LOOONG AS WEE WANT, with WHOEVERRRR WE WANNTTT....

:D

when ever you get into trouble with the cops best thing is to talk to them nicely. i always start the conversation by addressing them as 'ralahami'.

shaq no wonder you got into trouble in park road. it is bit of high security area isnt it? after every thing that happened to devananda no wonder the security is on their toes around the clock.

i can imagine cops keeping an eye out around indi as well, since there are loads of VIPs living in and around that area. but this is no excuse for them to talk in filth.

andi i was surprised to hear that they stopped your car even when you haven’t broken any rules. this is why boys you need to get hold of an european car. im sure these cops have no clue about how much a rex or a skyline worth in there eyes its just another jap car. most of the cops are afraid to stop big shot vehicles if they haven’t done anything wrong for the fear of getting their ass kicked the next day.

These here stories remind me of the time I got busted at Indy. It cost me a thousand bucks but the buggers didn't take it until they were safely out of sight of anybody, practically IN the monument dedicated to a free Sri Lanka. The irony of that was just shocking at the time.

is there some place where you can make a complaint against these ''paga'' taking dogs. ( not dissing the hard working honest police officer, if there is such a thing!!)write down the badge no of the cop and make a complaint ....remembered the time i was caught driving without a license when i was 11 and had to give my tuition money (Rs. 400-) as paga...imagine what u could have done with that money 17 yeras back as a kid. *astards!

is there some place where you can make a complaint against these ''paga'' taking dogs. ( not dissing the hard working honest police officer, if there is such a thing!!)write down the badge no of the cop and make a complaint ....remembered the time i was caught driving without a license when i was 11 and had to give my tuition money (Rs. 400-) as paga...imagine what u could have done with that money 17 yeras back as a kid. *astards!

i think you can forward your complaints to bribery commission don’t know how effective it is though.

KLM why did u get busted at indi? it seems loads of people are getting busted near indi for no reason

:D

when ever you get into trouble with the cops best thing is to talk to them nicely. i always start the conversation by addressing them as 'ralahami'.

shaq no wonder you got into trouble in park road. it is bit of high security area isnt it? after every thing that happened to devananda no wonder the security is on their toes around the clock.

machan im always nice to cops wen they'r polite n wen im actually at fault...once on my way to kandy wit my mum dis cop pulld me over n askd me if the car is diesel cos he was suspicious of the number...i had a silencer leak at the time...i said no n he was like 'start karapang'...i jus kept quiet cos we were on our way to a weddin n cudnt afford to lose time...he realised its a petrol car n let me go...in the car i told my mum wat he said n she askd me to turn back...but i didnt cos she has a reputation for screamin down their throats n reportin it to their superiors n gettin them suspended :D

a few yrs ago i was assaultd by a drunk cop who jumpd out of a van in nuwara eliya wen me n sum frnz were strollin in town in d wee hours of the mornin...he askd us y we were blockin the road...i was closest so he hit me...other cops pulld him back n they took off in the van...one of my frnz who's abt twice preveen's size got his number down n raced arnd lookin for the van cos he wantd to assault him (trust me my frnd is f**kin psycho)...but we convincd him not to n i forgot abt it

most cops r f**kd up man...ive got decades of stories abt em

machan im always nice to cops wen they'r polite n wen im actually at fault...once on my way to kandy wit my mum dis cop pulld me over n askd me if the car is diesel cos he was suspicious of the number...i had a silencer leak at the time...i said no n he was like 'start karapang'...i jus kept quiet cos we were on our way to a weddin n cudnt afford to lose time...he realised its a petrol car n let me go...in the car i told my mum wat he said n she askd me to turn back...but i didnt cos she has a reputation for screamin down their throats n reportin it to their superiors n gettin them suspended :D

a few yrs ago i was assaultd by a drunk cop who jumpd out of a van in nuwara eliya wen me n sum frnz were strollin in town in d wee hours of the mornin...he askd us y we were blockin the road...i was closest so he hit me...other cops pulld him back n they took off in the van...one of my frnz who's abt twice preveen's size got his number down n raced arnd lookin for the van cos he wantd to assault him (trust me my frnd is f**kin psycho)...but we convincd him not to n i forgot abt it

most cops r f**kd up man...ive got decades of stories abt em

WTF? Those are some bad experiences man. Luckily I haven't come across these types. I got copped for speeding recently and have been stopped in the night around mount lavinia many times before, and they were quite polite.

I guess it's definetely a good cop - bad cop thing.

WTF? Those are some bad experiences man. Luckily I haven't come across these types. I got copped for speeding recently and have been stopped in the night around mount lavinia many times before, and they were quite polite.

I guess it's definetely a good cop - bad cop thing.

yea its definitly a good cop bad cop thing

shaq your freind really should have beat the crap out of him.

I'm somewhat amused by this "twice Preveens size" descriptor.

I'm also curious as to what the hell u were up to wandering NE in the wee hours. Likely to be bloody freezing early mornings. At any time of year.

Too bad. I feel like I'm the only guy without these amusing cop stories. Normally nothing upset happens to me like that. Maybe its the size :alc: The only time I remember a cop amusing me was when we got stopped at a checkpoint in the office van, and I was sitting right next to the door, sporting a newly bald head, an Air Force Tshirt and a my dog tags hanging out. Cop opens the door, looks at me and goes "mahathaya Air Force ekenda?" :rolleyes: I got hacked quite a bit for the rest of the ride from my office mates :lol:

yea its definitly a good cop bad cop thing

shaq your freind really should have beat the crap out of him.

nah man it wudv gone to a legal level which i cudnt b fussd dealin wit...i was only 16...by the way there were abt 10 of us :rolleyes: the rest were ahead so dey didnt see it happen but they saw the cops gettin back in

I'm somewhat amused by this "twice Preveens size" descriptor.

I'm also curious as to what the hell u were up to wandering NE in the wee hours. Likely to be bloody freezing early mornings. At any time of year.

i meant that he was twice ur width :lol:

well we were jus goin out for sum fresh air cos we were bored...all our parents were asleep...i like the moderate cold btw

I don't think cops care about whether the car is European or not anymore..I've seen a fair share of mercs and BMW's pulled over for whatever reason. They're probably more prone to asking for the "fine" on the spot when its one of those cars though :alc:

Oh and in reply to ur question, Overdrive, I think you're supposed to be able to complain to the Bribery Commission/Human Rights Commission regarding this, but of course you'll have to know the cops' registration number etc. Apparantly cops get scared when you threaten to complain, cos it messes up their career and stuff, but then again some people offer the bribes without the cops asking for it, and they take it anyway :lol:

Last year I was letting a friend off near raheema close to the turn where Bagatalle road falls onto Cumaratunga mw. I stopped for barely 5 seconds to let the guy off, and pulled off again when a cop pulled me over a little past the turn. He had also ticketed all the cars that were parked there. The funny thing is there was no board or line saying "No parking" in that particular area. There was one a little up ahead, and those concrete things on the pavement, but nobody was parked near those. Even if the people who were parked had done sumthing wrong, I hadn't since I had just stopped for a few seconds, not even on the main road. The guy was so rude that I asked him to show me exactly where it said "no parking" in the place I had stopped, to which he had no answer and said don't park here again :rolleyes:

I spoke to someone at the Cinnamon Gardens police station and asked what the hell this cop had been talking about. his reply : "if he feels like it he can fine people for parking there." I patiently explained that I hadn't "parked," certainly not on the main road, and there was no yellow lines or no-parking sign there. The guy hung up on me :lol:

I don't think cops care about whether the car is European or not anymore..I've seen a fair share of mercs and BMW's pulled over for whatever reason. They're probably more prone to asking for the "fine" on the spot when its one of those cars though :rolleyes:

No what i meant was if its a fancy car chances of getting stopped at a spot check like the situation andi described is very slim. of course if you have broken any laws then you are trouble.

No what i meant was if its a fancy car chances of getting stopped at a spot check like the situation andi described is very slim. of course if you have broken any laws then you are trouble.

Ah yea depends on the situ of course. And I wonder if they're less prone to making a fuss about an European car having tinted windows as opposed to a Japanese one