• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

4x4 Safari Jeeps

madmax

I've seen a large number of restored Mitsubishi Safari Jeeps popping up on the AL classifieds. Obviously these are complete bodies over old chassis/books.

Considering the large number of these on the market are they in such demand? I've seen prices ranging from 1mil close to 2 mi. Just today one came up in the classifieds for 1.75 mil.

What prices are these finally sold? Also what is the legitimacy of the restorations?

There are some people out there who are willing to pay these obscene prices for a restored Jeep. I too am a 4x4 fanatic but gave up the idea of owning a 4x4 due to the crazy prices.

Had you noticed, a couple of years ago these 4x4 didn't fetch more than 500k. The formation of clubs and off-road races have contributed to the price hike..

There are only a hand full of experts in 4x4 restorations... I know two of em, and I would say it is not a rather simple task completely restoring a jeep.

There are only a hand full of experts in 4x4 restorations... I know two of em, and I would say it is not a rather simple task completely restoring a jeep.

I've seen one at work. Athula I think is his name. Restoration is not a simple task. But most these jeeps are not "restorations" but merely "container buds" salvaged from Japan and there is no real restoration effort involved..... so are they really worth that price?

I've seen one at work. Athula I think is his name. Restoration is not a simple task. But most these jeeps are not "restorations" but merely "container buds" salvaged from Japan and there is no real restoration effort involved..... so are they really worth that price?

The selling price for these jeeps in 2004 was 450K from Kurunegala without registration documents. I remember used short wheel base jeeps selling at 180K in 1999 !

The selling price for these jeeps in 2004 was 450K from Kurunegala without registration documents. I remember used short wheel base jeeps selling at 180K in 1999 !

Having a registration doc of a 4x4 is an asset now & there is quite a huge demand for the doc itself.

I know a person who had to pay 1mil for a registraction doc.

Hi folks. I think I can add a bit of valuable information since I have been using jeeps for the past 4 years. I first bought a hacked trooper from a plantation for LKR 700,000 in Jan 2004, did tinkering, painting, interior, new doors, bonets, alloys tyres etc. I didn't have to touch the engine since it was in perfect shape. I spent about LKR 400,000 for that and the process took about 3 months. I used it for about a year and sold it for LKR 1,275,000. Even today I see this jeep on the road and still it is in really good shape. Then I bough my second trooper. Again a complete hack from another plantation for LKR 550,000 in mid 2004 (while I was using the earlier one). For the second trooper I applied for a body permit and got down a complete jeep, of course all parts were dismantled and came in seperate containers. It was 100% legal since I got a body permit (approved by RMV and Imports & Exports dept). I took the chassis of the old trooper and fixed the new body, engine etc and that was a fantastic jeep. By that time the market of 4WDs have sky rocketed and I made a good profit when I sold it recently. Now just the book of trooper will go for 12 lakhs. A book of a Pajero short will go for 12 lakhs. A book of a Pajero long will go for 15 lakhs. A book of a land cruiser police model will go for 18 lakhs.

However I beleive if you want to buy a 4WD at a low budget, the best would be a Pajero short wheel palathsabha model which came from year 1982 to 1986 I think. You can buy one for 16-20 lakhs. Parts are available in plenty and cheap compared to a J44 or BJ40. Very comfortable as it has front suspension. You find ones with intercooler turbo and full option (these are the ones to go for). Even if you buy onewhich is not in good shape for about 16 lakhs since the parts are cheap, you can easily bring them to really good condition (may be by spending just 1 lakh). If properly done, the market will be closer to 20 lakhs. Now good troopers and long wheel Pajeros are out of reach for most of us since they are above 28 lakhs.

Edited by L board

Ah! I forgot to tell another story...why jeeps are priced high. I was using cars before I started using jeeps in 2004. I has Honda Civic EG8 Vtec, Doctor Sunny, Toyota Sprinter AE110 and Honda Civic EK3. There are many advantages of using jeeps. Firstly it is the ideal fr our roads. Our roads get flooded for the lightest rain and poorly maintained. The rack ends, thirod ends and shocks wear off so quckly. Jeeps have high ground clearance and meant for rugged use. I found driving jeeps much more convenient. The driving position is much better and you have a much better view of the road. Three wheelers, motor cycles and buses will not like to challenge you much. When you are in a car, you have to give way to every one, including push cyclists. That will not be the case with a jeep. You can dominate the road much better and the others will give way to you. Small scrapes and scratches will be the least worry unlike owning a new car. Therefore people pay extra to buy jeeps and I believe its fully worth.

However, I think paying 1.7+ millions is not worth for J44 (4RD5) or BJ 40 since their parts are very expensive (a door would cost nearly 50,000) and hard to find. You can find a decent Pajero Short for that price (A door would cost only 12,000) and parts are available anywhere. In fact I saw this Pajero short that was advertised on AutoLanka website for 16 lakhs. I dont see that anymore on the site and obviously the seller may have already sold it. It was a great bargain at 16 lakhs.

Edited by L board

Ah! I forgot to tell another story...why jeeps are priced high. I was using cars before I started using jeeps in 2004. I has Honda Civic EG8 Vtec, Doctor Sunny, Toyota Sprinter AE110 and Honda Civic EK3. There are many advantages of using jeeps. Firstly it is the ideal fr our roads. Our roads get flooded for the lightest rain and poorly maintained. The rack ends, thirod ends and shocks wear off so quckly. Jeeps have high ground clearance and meant for rugged use. I found driving jeeps much more convenient. The driving position is much better and you have a much better view of the road. Three wheelers, motor cycles and buses will not like to challenge you much. When you are in a car, you have to give way to every one, including push cyclists. That will not be the case with a jeep. You can dominate the road much better and the others will give way to you. Small scrapes and scratches will be the least worry unlike owning a new car. Therefore people pay extra to buy jeeps and I believe its fully worth.

I totally agree with you. that was the main reason i went for jeep. only vehicles come against are Tata & Ashok bus drivers. but when comparing comfortability and easy handling car is much better for me.

P.S -- Have you guys notice that even police and army checkpoints hardly stop jeep for checking ;-)