• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cbr 150r Tire Change

kumudug

Question

Hello guys

I have a Honda CBR150R(2007) bike

I have done 6000km now and I want to change the rear tire. Mainly because the stock tires are really slippery

my existing tires are front - 80/90 and rear 100/80

I wanna get a bit wide rear tire.

I'm gonna get one of these tires

120/70 - this will make the bike 4mm higher. I dont think this will effect much on chain tension. What do you guys think?

130/70 - this will make the bike 11mm higher :action-smiley-060: . Do you think this will effect the chain tension? am I better off with the 120 tire?

I wanna know what kinda effect it will have on the grip.

My bike is only 150kg and since i'm increasing the surface area that weight is distributed on will I increase the slipperiness instead of getting more grip? :blink:

Thanks in advance

9 answers to this question

Hello guys

I have done 6000km now and I want to change the rear tire. Mainly because the stock tires are really slippery

120/70 - this will make the bike 4mm higher. I dont think this will effect much on chain tension. What do you guys think?

130/70 - this will make the bike 11mm higher :action-smiley-060: . Do you think this will effect the chain tension? am I better off with the 120 tire?

My bike is only 150kg and since i'm increasing the surface area that weight is distributed on will I increase the slipperiness instead of getting more grip? :blink:

Thanks in advance

dont have much experience with "street bikes" but in my XR250 wider tires do keep you going in tricky terrain...especially if it's sandy, muddy, slippery etc...

But i never needed wider tires for decently paved roads... even when i really pushed the bike into a corner...

I'd say stick with the stock tyre sizes if you don't push the bike really hard...

If you really want to upgrade...wider tyres are quite ok IMHO....

chain tension is no biggie since it's adjustable anyway....

[My bike is only 150kg and since i'm increasing the surface area that weight is distributed on will I increase the slipperiness instead of getting more grip?]

hmm...good question but i don't think this is the case... good grip on a bike heavily depends on rider skills, quality of tires, air pressure and suspension setup...

Hello guys

Thanks in advance

Going for a 120/70 or a 130/70 tyre on the same wheel is not going to increase the size of the patch that grips the surface. But it will give a curve on the tyre that'll help u lean your bike much more if u are cornering hard. But if u do that u still need to balance that with your front end (maybe a 90/70 or a 100/70).

Chain tension wont be an issue. But u should make sure that the gap between the tyre & chain is adequate. Or else u might find the chain snapping due to constant contact with the edge of the tyre.

If your issue is slippery tyres, U might wanna consider brand of tyre with a softer compound (Dunlops & Bridgestones are generally very grippy on our roads) & stick to the original sizes.

Going for a 120/70 or a 130/70 tyre on the same wheel is not going to increase the size of the patch that grips the surface.

suppose this is different with offroad/dualsport tyres... i used to have 460x18 rear tyres on my XR250... when i went for 510x18 there was a huge difference... :)

same was the case with my old mtx200 which had stock 410x18...which i upgraded to 460x18

suppose this is different with offroad/dualsport tyres... i used to have 460x18 rear tyres on my XR250... when i went for 510x18 there was a huge difference... :)

same was the case with my old mtx200 which had stock 410x18...which i upgraded to 460x18

I guess not ...

But if u had a super-moto conversion it would apply just as well as to the other road machines.

cheers.