• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Octane You Use??

Kim

Octane grade of fuel you are using?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Pls Vote below:

• 95 Oct
    • 90 Oct

Question

• Answers 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I don't thinks so. Toluene is a chemical that raises the octane level of petrol. Olden day F1 cars ran purely on toluene. It actually has a cooling effect on the engine and because of cleaner and more efficient combustion at the higher octane rating, better overall performance.

The only problem I can see is the fact that Toluene reacts in a corrosive manner with rubber. So if you have rubber fuel lines, that may be a problem. Ofcourse we are talking of great quantities of toluene.

Checking the actual recommended octane rating for the car and adding T in concentrations to match it would probably make that problem negligible IMHO.

Always better to check with the agents for your make of vehicle though. Scooby agents recommend it for the Scoobies over the octane boosters we have freely on the market so that is good enough for me.

The emissions ofcourse I'll not go in to. I ain't no "Tree Hugger". Come to think of it if you are a "Tree Hugger" then drive a Prius! Better yet buy a Donkey. The only emission you'll get out of that ASS is Methane! :D

bro can u pls tell from where v can buy Toluene ? pls PM me or sms me on 0714275302 thnx...

bro can u pls tell from where v can buy Toluene ? pls PM me or sms me on 0714275302 thnx...

Hendrick and Sons, Bankshal Street..

Get on to main street from near Wimaladharma bros, then turn left down China Street, and take the first left again. Shop is on the right side. You can't miss it..

Any idear if this available in Kandy. Or is there any place in New Kandy road from Malabe to Dehiwala (that is the normal route I go if i come for meetings)

Not too sure it's available in Kandy.. you might want check out some of the local chemical retailers..

Is using toluene to 90 octane to increase octane similar to using 95 octane? or is there any difference in the chimical formula in petrol after adding toluene (except for the octane value due to differences in the ratio of adding toluene)

Is using toluene to 90 octane to increase octane similar to using 95 octane? or is there any difference in the chimical formula in petrol after adding toluene (except for the octane value due to differences in the ratio of adding toluene)

wiki says

Toluene can be used as an octane booster in gasoline fuels used in internal combustion engines. Toluene at 86% by volume fueled all the turbo Formula 1 teams in the 1980s, first pioneered by the Honda team. The remaining 14% was a "filler" of n-heptane, to reduce the octane to meet Formula 1 fuel restrictions. Toluene at 100% can be used as a fuel for both two-stroke and four-stroke engines; however, due to the density of the fuel and other factors, the fuel does not vaporize easily unless preheated to 70 degrees Celsius (Honda accomplished this in their Formula 1 cars by routing the fuel lines through the muffler system to heat the fuel). Toluene also poses similar problems as alcohol fuels, as it eats through standard rubber fuel lines and has no lubricating properties as standard gasoline does, which can break down fuel pumps and cause upper cylinder bore wear.

In Australia, toluene has been found to have been illegally combined with petrol in fuel outlets for sale as standard vehicular fuel. Toluene attracts no fuel excise, while other fuels are taxed at over 40%, so fuel suppliers are able to profit from substituting the cheaper toluene for petrol. This substitution is likely to affect engine performance and result in additional wear and tear. The extent of toluene substitution has not been determined.[7][8]

wiki says

Toluene can be used as an octane booster in gasoline fuels used in internal combustion engines. Toluene at 86% by volume fueled all the turbo Formula 1 teams in the 1980s, first pioneered by the Honda team. The remaining 14% was a "filler" of n-heptane, to reduce the octane to meet Formula 1 fuel restrictions. Toluene at 100% can be used as a fuel for both two-stroke and four-stroke engines; however, due to the density of the fuel and other factors, the fuel does not vaporize easily unless preheated to 70 degrees Celsius (Honda accomplished this in their Formula 1 cars by routing the fuel lines through the muffler system to heat the fuel). Toluene also poses similar problems as alcohol fuels, as it eats through standard rubber fuel lines and has no lubricating properties as standard gasoline does, which can break down fuel pumps and cause upper cylinder bore wear.

In Australia, toluene has been found to have been illegally combined with petrol in fuel outlets for sale as standard vehicular fuel. Toluene attracts no fuel excise, while other fuels are taxed at over 40%, so fuel suppliers are able to profit from substituting the cheaper toluene for petrol. This substitution is likely to affect engine performance and result in additional wear and tear. The extent of toluene substitution has not been determined.[7][8]

Agree with the wiki article... an overdose of Toluene can you with devastating results. I learnt it the hard way. But all in all... it does give the car a lil boost and smoother acceleration.

Agree with the wiki article... an overdose of Toluene can you with devastating results. I learnt it the hard way. But all in all... it does give the car a lil boost and smoother acceleration.

What happened? Damaged any fuel lines? :unsure:

What happened? Damaged any fuel lines? :unsure:

The fuel line in my car are steel from fuel tank right up to the engine bay, So I was safe. But the filter in the pump had perished. also the O2 sensor got busted. Yet to replace the 'O' rings and tips on the injectors.

As per my experience, the max dosage for a NA engine car, with a 60ltr full tank, is MAX 1ltr Toluene for a full tank. Rest is up to you...!