• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ban On Used Car Parts???

Sha7

Guys, is there a ban on importing used car parts now? (I’m talking about the stuff there at Delkanda)

I heard the story from a friend who works at customs. But he is not sure whether there are any exceptions for this rule.

might have been referring to cars that are simply chopped in half and brought down, in which case there already IS some sort of restriction on it.. but banning individual parts is quite unreasonable, cos it'll leave people totally at the mercy of the agents by making them buy brand new parts...

Welcome to Paradise. According to the radio in the morning, the govt will impose a limit on the engine capacity of locally assembled vehicles. No idea why.

To cut down on fuel costs I believe. If their plan is to limit those gas guzzling hummers ending up on our roads, I welcome it. Even when the Americans themselves are rejecting this trash why should we in the third world not?

Edited by madmax

Welcome to Paradise. According to the radio in the morning, the govt will impose a limit on the engine capacity of locally assembled vehicles. No idea why.

1600cc for petrol and 2000cc for diesel locally assembled vehicles. Also heard that 30% of the parts that go into the vehicle have to be manufactured locally. Or something to that effect. <_<

To cut down on fuel costs I believe. If their plan is to limit those gas guzzling hummers ending up on our roads, I welcome it. Even when the Americans themselves are rejecting this trash why should we in the third world not?

Would you support a ban on the 2.7l Mercedes Common Rail Diesel? :blink: Besides, hummers aren't locally assembled.

Would you support a ban on the 2.7l Mercedes Common Rail Diesel? :blink: Besides, hummers aren't locally assembled.

I doubt that will be banned, That is engine is economical plus it's rumored "MR" Holdings has a stake in Micro Cars.

1600cc for petrol and 2000cc for diesel locally assembled vehicles. Also heard that 30% of the parts that go into the vehicle have to be manufactured locally. Or something to that effect. <_<

What the hell! if so, u better forget buying a Rexton with 2800CC engine. imagine a Rexton with a 2000CC. lol. this could end up buying cars like 141 Corolla nice car with a small underpowered engine. i agree with the hummers. but this will affect the other vehicles for sure :unsure:

Edited by Ruslan

Optimus, where did you get all these details?

I for one know that I*S bought a Porsche Cayenne to be assembled here and then the customs seized it.

I strongly believe that if you are doing an Assembly you need to have a proper production line (except of course if its all put together manually like the Defender - well its underway FYI)

Is it that the government or whoever has a say wants to stop others from entering the market and eating into their market?

From what I know there are a few Assembly projects in the pipeline, but they still have issues. For instance the BOI and Customs havent come to an agreement with Assembly projects and what you can bring and what not.

So it seems we will be seeing quite a lot of Actyons and the ugly Kyrons on our roads.

30% value addition is acceptable, cos anyway you need to put tyres, then seats, the stereo and etc...

As per Live at 55 on Yes FM (9am yesterday). Sorry, no fancy sources. :)

30% value addition is acceptable, cos anyway you need to put tyres, then seats, the stereo and etc...

Even so, do you think we have the necessary manufacturing capabilities to adhere to the above?

I for one know that I*S bought a Porsche Cayenne to be assembled here and then the customs seized it.

I strongly believe that if you are doing an Assembly you need to have a proper production line (except of course if its all put together manually like the Defender - well its underway FYI)

Is it that the government or whoever has a say wants to stop others from entering the market and eating into their market?

From what I know there are a few Assembly projects in the pipeline, but they still have issues. For instance the BOI and Customs havent come to an agreement with Assembly projects and what you can bring and what not.

So it seems we will be seeing quite a lot of Actyons and the ugly Kyrons on our roads.

The Kyron is ugly?????? Hav u confused it with the Actyon?

Gummy by the way machan on rextons or kyrons what is the 30 % Local Value Addition.

Also does any one know the engine capacity of the Kyron.

They do the seats and stereo here. (the fabric seats are taken out and leather put in place - the leather guy is well known and does a better job than the manufacturer) Stereo is handled by Gu*lbert.

Sorry Jehan been batting on the wrong number.

Thanks Optimus, I checked with my manager and he confirmed the news, which is a bit shocking and bad scene for us.

Pitty what people do to make money.

As far as the Defender goes, you can manufacture the bumpers, side steps, seats, lamp guards locally so that covers more than 30% and it is better than original company stuff.

Just wondered. Locally assembled vehicles inculed buses, right?