• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dihatsu Charade A Good Buy?

L board

Hi friends. I have been told that the Dihatsu Charade (edd shape) is remarkably economical on diesel. I was told that it does nearly 20km/l in city. Do you know the validity of this? Also are parts (both body and spare) available in the market?

Depends on driver/city/time of day, A/C, etc.

Hi friends. I have been told that the Dihatsu Charade (edd shape) is remarkably economical on diesel. I was told that it does nearly 20km/l in city. Do you know the validity of this? Also are parts (both body and spare) available in the market?

It apparently does very well on fuel, but you would be very lucky to find a decent example with a smooth running engine and decent suspension.

It is fuel efficent but the engine does not last long (3 cylinder 1000CC).

advised to keep well away as the engine is impossible to repair properly and undrivable when under compression (3 cylinder)

Mate! This is an emblematic old fashioned answer!

The world is seriously changed since you heard about the Charade evils!

Its an astounding car and the fuel economy is the key.

There are many charade part vendors in Sri Lanka and they have ample loads of spares both brand-new and used as well as all the body parts.

Regarding the engine overhaul issue, Who said its unfeasible to overhaul since its 3 cylinder and 1000cc Diesel? Obviously you have contacted the absolute wrong technician.

Don’t think twice about buying a Charade! I owned few both diesel and petrol and that’s last I would cite.

If help needs will post the contact details of overhaul technicians and part vendors.

Good Luck mate!

MINIACE

our family owned a pre-egg-shape (box model) non-turbo from 91-97 [32sri34xx] so this might not relate 100% to the model you're looking at.

We had the usual problems related to SL road conditions; we went thru a lot of CV-joints, tie-rods, shocks etc. We changed the timing belt 3 times during that time (cos 1st time mechanic had allowed oil to drip thru t-belt cover)

We also had a nagging problem of the oil-pump allowing air to seep in when sitting for a day or so. I had to pump/siphon/spit/repeat (diesel tastes better than pertol:)) on many days.

Unfortunately for the car, i did most of the driving from 94-97 and after a few years of that, a missed oil change or 2 :( , and some idiot flushing the engine.. it was time for an overhaul. We gave it new piston rings, injectors, sleeves and the works (for about 75KRs back then) and she ran like a champ. It would more than keep up with the petrol cars.

I wouldn't tell you to stay away from it but its probably easier to maintain a petrol than a diesel but then again, I learned most of what I know about cars from working on that charade....sniff sniff

like miniace said, fuel economy is this car's strong point. Back then it was like 60cents per Km. but have the car checked out cos one major repair can eat into all that fuel savings

Edited by dhp

our family owned a pre-egg-shape (box model) non-turbo from 91-97 [32sri34xx] so this might not relate 100% to the model you're looking at.

We had the usual problems related to SL road conditions; we went thru a lot of CV-joints, tie-rods, shocks etc. We changed the timing belt 3 times during that time (cos 1st time mechanic had allowed oil to drip thru t-belt cover)

We also had a nagging problem of the oil-pump allowing air to seep in when sitting for a day or so. I had to pump/siphon/spit/repeat (diesel tastes better than pertol:)) on many days.

Unfortunately for the car, i did most of the driving from 94-97 and after a few years of that, a missed oil change or 2 :( , and some idiot flushing the engine.. it was time for an overhaul. We gave it new piston rings, injectors, sleeves and the works (for about 75KRs back then) and she ran like a champ. It would more than keep up with the petrol cars.

I wouldn't tell you to stay away from it but its probably easier to maintain a petrol than a diesel but then again, I learned most of what I know about cars from working on that charade....sniff sniff

like miniace said, fuel economy is this car's strong point. Back then it was like 60cents per Km. but have the car checked out cos one major repair can eat into all that fuel savings

if i'm not mistaken , the engine gearbox & suspension is same in both EGG shape & the BOX model , the egg shape is slightly less fuel economical due to the body is heavier than the Box model. this is the reason why the Box model is also in the same price bracket as the Egg shape .

one of my very good friends owned a BOX model diesel 32- non turbo ( in very well maintained condition) & we went to ampara & back with A/C & it has done about 25km/ltr . ( i can remember touching 120km/h mark with 3 people in the car with A/C)

finally my friend sold it to a known person about 3yrs back & he is maintaining the car in the same condition .

my friend tried to buy it back recently , but the current owner is not willing to part with it. he says it was his best buy.

as far as i know also part are not a problem as there are lot of guys who get down things , & engine repair is not a major issue and it lasts about 70,000 -80,000kms with out a problem if maintained well . this is for the Non turbo.

but as everyone said finding a car which has less vibration, good body shape, & good interior is quite difficult as due to the fuel economy 99% of the cars are really abused.

I wouldn't tell you to stay away from it but its probably easier to maintain a petrol than a diesel but then again,I learned most of what I know about cars from working on that charade....sniff sniff

I've not owned a diesel Charade, but had a newer model petrol version ( G200S ). Super car, fun to drive, very responsive.

In fact it once took me to Yala in 4.5 hours flat........no stops : ) That was a blast.

It was pretty good on fuel too....approx 10 - 10.5 on the city and approx 16 out of town.

Had a problem selling it though..........the morons who kept calling said "Aiya charade ne, toyota wage nemei" etc etc.

Little did these jokers know that it was the Starlet ep82 in a different skin.....lol

Point is that most people in this country have a miguided notion that the Charade (Daihatsu in general) is a crap car.

It's not by any means. Solidly built, parts easy to find etc. So overall a good car.

And also like Mini says, it's no fuss getting an overhaul done. By the correct technician of course.

So all in all I think you should go for it.........provided you find a good example though.

All the best.

There are many charade part vendors in Sri Lanka and they have ample loads of spares both brand-new and used as well as all the body parts.

Regarding the engine overhaul issue, Who said its unfeasible to overhaul since its 3 cylinder and 1000cc Diesel? Obviously you have contacted the absolute wrong technician.

Don’t think twice about buying a Charade! I owned few both diesel and petrol and that’s last I would cite.

If help needs will post the contact details of overhaul technicians and part vendors.

Good Luck mate!

MINIACE

Yes I agree with you mate! This was a damn good car in 1985 when it was introduced.

AU M**** and Tech M***** do have parts which they claim is original!!.

I had a diesel and did the engine twice but as another user has mentioned it only last for about 50,000KM, So it does not make financial sence to repair as the overall cost is more than the fuel saving.

The user who started the thread wanted an economical car, not permenant recidensy in panchikawatte.

Good Luck mate!

MINIACE

Four years ago Mini when I was looking for a car to buy my sister, I also had a look at this particular model, as I anticipated the same as the original poster, that it would have brilliant fuel economy and it would be a nice nippy car to drive ! I wasn't put off by the cost of overhauling or the rumours that overhauls on this particular engine do not last very long. This opinion was resonated by a number of auto dealers in the Nugegoda area at the time, who happened to be known to my family.

The problem I had was I travelled as far as Kurunagala in search of an example but failed miserably. Most cars I looked at were hacked beyond belief, had a lot of miles on them, poorly maintained, suspension was in a mess, the engines were knocking and frankly they were awful. I think these cars were bought cheap, maintained cheaply and a lot had a hard life. I'm sure a well maintained example would give its owner many happy miles, but finding one I feel would be a very difficult task.

Another car the above applies to is the SB13

I'm not sure if these cars were inherently fragile or if the typical owners of these cars did not care about their motors that much ! Its just an observation !

I do believeI do be of the same opinion with the fact that Charades are tagged as a miserable piece of automotive and majority of examples available are hacked and in poor order.

like wise people condemn LRs and Minis and share similar beliefs.

It’s fact that mishandling and cruelty of charade engines will straightforwardly entail an overhaul owing to its weaknesses.

I know a Charade driven 200k and still going strong and no secret except TLC .besides in this thread heard cars done overhauls every 50K.Where is the dilemma? I see no choice otherthan blaming the usage or standards of overhaul.

Little mechanical knowledge I posses, know many ways where an overhaul could go off beam, similarly I be acquainted with messing up an engine devoid of running 20K.

Its always better to understand the fragileness and pamper the babe in usage and TLC than blaming and talking about taking up residency in panchikawatte.

MINIACE

I've not owned a diesel Charade, but had a newer model petrol version ( G200S ). Super car, fun to drive, very responsive.

In fact it once took me to Yala in 4.5 hours flat........no stops : ) That was a blast.

I bought the same model about two weeks back.. The car has done 235,000, but still runs without any problem at all.. :D (Bytheway, this is in Aussy though, so high milage does not always "eat up" cars because of the driving conditions and good maintenance)

The 1.3l motor is still quite responsive, after a couple of hundred thousand 'k' s. :) And you are so correct about the fuel economy factor bro, I`m still runin with the tank that the previous owner has pumped..!! :jumping-smiley-013:

Edited by MrCat