• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Problem With Gear Selection

rman2000

I drive a 97 model Mitsubish Carisma GLXi (5fwd,1.6cc)and its a great car but lately has developed a problem with the reverse gear selection

The reverse gear is engaged by pulling the rubber ring which is under the gear knob and then push the gear stick towards the left and push it forward parallel to the 1st gear,but now it does not fall into reverse and keep going to the 1st gear and its only after 3-4 attempts that I can get it right and its a big pain,I assume that the rubber/nylon bush to help select the gear is wasted but im not sure and the garages here are damm expensive (currently im in the UK) and charge about £ 35 per hour and I dont want to get ripped off

Anyone knows what the problem is? and how to get it sorted out form my description,I hope its nothing serious, this model (Mitsubishi Carisma) is almost identical to the Lancer CKi & CKii you get in SL.

If any Auto Lanka members are in the UK and know good reliable garages where they dont rip you off please let me know

I drive a 97 model Mitsubish Carisma GLXi (5fwd,1.6cc)and its a great car but lately has developed a problem with the reverse gear selection

The reverse gear is engaged by pulling the rubber ring which is under the gear knob and then push the gear stick towards the left and push it forward parallel to the 1st gear,but now it does not fall into reverse and keep going to the 1st gear and its only after 3-4 attempts that I can get it right and its a big pain,I assume that the rubber/nylon bush to help select the gear is wasted but im not sure and the garages here are damm expensive (currently im in the UK) and charge about £ 35 per hour and I dont want to get ripped off

Anyone knows what the problem is? and how to get it sorted out form my description,I hope its nothing serious, this model (Mitsubishi Carisma) is almost identical to the Lancer CKi & CKii you get in SL.

If any Auto Lanka members are in the UK and know good reliable garages where they dont rip you off please let me know

AL member "Mathri" owns a garage in UK i think... hopefully he can help you out...

like you said...most probably it's the bushes...

Where are you based rman2000 ?

Its probably an issue with the gear lever bushes or that safety lock that you need to disengage before selecting reverse is faulty. I do not feel this will be a costly repair.

Why don't you take your car to the local garage and get an estimate on the repair and then consider the options.

Where are you based rman2000 ?

Its probably an issue with the gear lever bushes or that safety lock that you need to disengage before selecting reverse is faulty. I do not feel this will be a costly repair.

Why don't you take your car to the local garage and get an estimate on the repair and then consider the options.

I'm based in the UK presently as I came to study and now will work for an year or two here under the post study workers scheme,the local garages will rip you off left right and centre,2 months back I took the car for its annual MOT and they said I had to change the front brake disks and they charged me £ 306!

MOT = £ 56

parts £ 90

rest was for labour!!!!

If you have the AL members contact (guy who has a garage) pls let me know

Hi,

I will not comment on rip off's as you appear to be comparing labour charges in SL to the ones in the UK.

Top line dealers in the UK around London charge in excess of £120.00. Where I am in the East Midlands the BMW MERC AUDI dealers etc charge around £110.00. Us independant Garages range from £35.00 to £50.00.mostly. How ever the time we spend looking at cars giving advice and estimating cost as well as chasing the parts from suppliers which we can't charge for make it very good value for money!

Any way your problem is almost certainly caused by a worn bush or a universal joint in the gear linkage. Mitsubishi's are not very common here so parts may have to be sourced from the dealers at quite high prices. In addition their srock levels are poor and it may take several days even for them to get the parts. So as suggested above get a local garage to inspect it, and give you an estimate,any body that says it wants a new gear box is probably on the wrong trac.

I can be got on 01933 676788 during the day if you want further help or if you live anywhere near Wellingborough in Northamptonshire where my garage is based.

Maithri.