• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fuel Indicator Problem

monty

Question

Hi Guys,

The fuel level indicator in my car is not working properly since recent. It shows far less than the actual volume in tank. I realized this when I went for a full tank refill when the reading indicated low (above the red mark) and ended up needing only around 24 liters of fuel for full tank :unsure:

Where can I find this gauge and what is the extent of the hassle involved with having it adjusted to indicate the correct fuel level again? I would also like to know what might have caused the indicator to go haywire suddenly.

Thanks Guys !

monty :jumping-smiley-013:

10 answers to this question

Hi Guys,

The fuel level indicator in my car is not working properly since recent. It shows far less than the actual volume in tank. I realized this when I went for a full tank refill when the reading indicated low (above the red mark) and ended up needing only around 24 liters of fuel for full tank :unsure:

Where can I find this gauge and what is the extent of the hassle involved with having it adjusted to indicate the correct fuel level again? I would also like to know what might have caused the indicator to go haywire suddenly.

Thanks Guys !

whats your vehicle model and brand?

As far as I know, in most of the modern and even bit older vehicles (I mean 1990s onwards), the fuel level indicator comes as a electonic system which is either based on a level sensor or sometimes based on a variable resister system. Anyhow the Level Sensor is located in the fuel tank. In most of the cars, you would find this under your back seat. (Once you remove your back seat's lower sitting cushion part, you would be able to find the sensor there with a plug and socket type part and wires coming out of it.) This part may be the thing which has caused your fuel guage to give false readings, so you should take it to a good garage and check the sensor first. By the way, I should ask you the same question. What is your car? Model?

Thanks guys! I will have the level sensor checked. The car is a Honda EK3. Hope this sensor is available for the model in case I need to replace it. Thanks again.

Hi Guys,

Thanks Guys !

Hi Guys,

This problem has turned a bit tricky and weird now. My original assumption was that the level indicator was faulty. This was based on the fact that last week I was only able to fill in about 24 liters of fuel for a full tank when the level reading indicated low. After this full tank fill the reading indicated just above the half-way mark.

I had to do a couple of trips over the weekend and since I was curious to find out whether the indicator was really faulty or whether the tank actually accepted only 24 liters of fuel, I took the risk and ran till the indicator hit low (and even below) and to my surprise I ran out of fuel !! (Yeah, I was ready for it with a filled up petrol can in my trunk and it also happened at a convenient location :D ). The car had done quite close to the miles I expected it to do in terms of economy from around 24 liters.

Now then… it seems the level indicator is actually doing its job but the tank only accepts around 24 liters of fuel. I tried another full tank yesterday and bingo!...only 24. 7 liters again. I'm a bit confused here guys :unsure: . Can this be some kind of an air blockage in the tank that's preventing fuel from entering the tank ?

Are there any garage places you guys recommend for me to have this checked?

Thanks Guys !

Hi Guys,

This problem has turned a bit tricky and weird now. My original assumption was that the level indicator was faulty. This was based on the fact that last week I was only able to fill in about 24 liters of fuel for a full tank when the level reading indicated low. After this full tank fill the reading indicated just above the half-way mark.

I had to do a couple of trips over the weekend and since I was curious to find out whether the indicator was really faulty or whether the tank actually accepted only 24 liters of fuel, I took the risk and ran till the indicator hit low (and even below) and to my surprise I ran out of fuel !! (Yeah, I was ready for it with a filled up petrol can in my trunk and it also happened at a convenient location :D ). The car had done quite close to the miles I expected it to do in terms of economy from around 24 liters.

Now then… it seems the level indicator is actually doing its job but the tank only accepts around 24 liters of fuel. I tried another full tank yesterday and bingo!...only 24. 7 liters again. I'm a bit confused here guys :unsure: . Can this be some kind of an air blockage in the tank that's preventing fuel from entering the tank ?

Are there any garage places you guys recommend for me to have this checked?

Thanks Guys !

What was the capacity u had before?