• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Carina At212 Ti Myroad Fuel Consumption

ruwansusantha

Question

I recently bought a Toyota Carina Ti MyRoad AT212 99 Model car. It cas clocked 75 k so far. I did a tune-up with plugs, fuel filter, air filter change. The tune up was done using chemical cans without any manual work. Further, I changed engine oil, but there was a considerable amount of sludge, so I had to use a chemical to dissolve that.

The car does only around 8km/litre in city and around 11km/litre outstation even after tune-up.

The ATF is slight pink in color, but I did not change yet.(Though it should be wine red in color). I see water vapour being formed behind the silencer barrel too.

What is the normal fuel consumption experienced by owners of this car?

There is a slight oil leak, which the garage people says from the crank oil seal. Is this due to sludge, if I further remove sludge using chemicals will this resolve?(after the sludge removal in the first attempt, the oil leak reduced considerably.)

Can anyone of your Toyota Carina Owners help me/

dear car owners

I thought of enlightening all on a recent improvement i experienced in my car. I did a proper tune-up 2 months

ago, and observed under various conditions before writing this.

Now my Toyota Carina AT212 Ti MyRoad, Auto,99 model car does 11km/litre in heavy traffic.if in low traffic it does

13km/litre.Long distance (Kandy Colombo) above 14km/l less than 16km/l.

My journey is from Moratuwa(Willorawatta) to Ekala and back in the evening. I start the journey by 0620hrs to reach

my work place by 0830hrs. leaves Ekala by 1630 hrs and reach Moratuwa by 1830hrs.

This is in the school and office times, mostly mixed traffic. On average two persons (including the driver)travelled in

the car.I maintain a constant speed wherever possible, max speed is around 60-70kmph.I try not to raise the RPM above 2k.

Tune-up done at S--r automobiles, Kandana, using 3M kit. They said, they particularly cleaned the idol sensor which was

covered with soot/dust.Replaced the plugs (NGK) instead of Denso.The air filter and auto gear oil is fairly new.Did not

replace the fuel filter.

I think this information would be valuable to carina owners.

• Like 1

8km/L in the city is more towards normal but 11km/L in out is a bit low. But again these figures are always depend on many factors specially the driving style. I own a Carina Si AT211 (1800cc) and it does 10-11 in my daily route (athurugiriya -> kaduwela) and does 13-14 in flat (colombo->galle). It did 8-9 in the city with moderate traffic but I don't travel in the city that much. Carina is a heavy car compared to the Corollas in the same era. Therefore, with the 1500cc engine, it will not do as corollas like AE110.

I did a throttle body cleaning, ATF change, injector cleaning and changed the plugs. They considerably improved the fuel figures. Do a proper analysis at the agents. I did the same and discovered a very tiny oil leak underneath. Since it is minor they suggest to keep it as it is under observation.

Do not compare the fuel figures of a Carina Ti with the Corollas which come with the similar engine. The Carina is hevier by about 100kg than the Corolla & they share the same 5A-FE engine

How hard you are on your right foot has a big impact on fuel consumtion. Hope a member in the forum who owns a similar car will be able to share some figures.

My experience with my bro's AT-211 Premio 1.8 is it can get about 9.5 to 10km/L overall. But will do much better on the long run.

I recently bought a Toyota Carina Ti MyRoad AT212 99 Model car. It cas clocked 75 k so far. I did a tune-up with plugs, fuel filter, air filter change. The tune up was done using chemical cans without any manual work. Further, I changed engine oil, but there was a considerable amount of sludge, so I had to use a chemical to dissolve that.

The car does only around 8km/litre in city and around 11km/litre outstation even after tune-up.

The ATF is slight pink in color, but I did not change yet.(Though it should be wine red in color). I see water vapour being formed behind the silencer barrel too.

There is a slight oil leak, which the garage people says from the crank oil seal. Is this due to sludge, if I further remove sludge using chemicals will this resolve?(after the sludge removal in the first attempt, the oil leak reduced considerably.)

Sounds about right for an Auto Carina 212. You have to be pretty light on the pedal to get anything more. The Si (1800cc model) usually does better on fuel due to the better power to weight ratio provided you don't cane it.

Re-post

Edited by milindu

Thank you guys for your replies. One important thing which I think could relate to fuel consumption- I forgot to write; My front tires are 185/70 R14 Michelin and rear they are 175/70 R 14 Goodyear(recommended tire size). So, the front tires are broader than the rear. Is there an effect?

i think no. b'couse my car tire setup also same like this. 185/65 R14 Michelin and rear 175/70 R 14 (Chines brand) but no effect to fuel yet. (Mine AE110)

8km/L in the city is more towards normal but 11km/L in out is a bit low. But again these figures are always depend on many factors specially the driving style. I own a Carina Si AT211 (1800cc) and it does 10-11 in my daily route (athurugiriya -> kaduwela) and does 13-14 in flat (colombo->galle). It did 8-9 in the city with moderate traffic but I don't travel in the city that much. Carina is a heavy car compared to the Corollas in the same era. Therefore, with the 1500cc engine, it will not do as corollas like AE110.

I did a throttle body cleaning, ATF change, injector cleaning and changed the plugs. They considerably improved the fuel figures. Do a proper analysis at the agents. I did the same and discovered a very tiny oil leak underneath. Since it is minor they suggest to keep it as it is under observation.

Chana,

Would like to share some of the features which I am in doubt. The right side panel on the dash board containing controls for side mirror adjustment, side mirror folding does not illuminate when I put park lights(along with others in the dashboard - in night)because of that, diffcult to control in the night. Is this normal. There is another switch coming with a side mirror indicator and a light on it which does not work in my case, what is this? Can you enlighten me?

Chana,

Would like to share some of the features which I am in doubt. The right side panel on the dash board containing controls for side mirror adjustment, side mirror folding does not illuminate when I put park lights(along with others in the dashboard - in night)because of that, diffcult to control in the night. Is this normal. There is another switch coming with a side mirror indicator and a light on it which does not work in my case, what is this? Can you enlighten me?

Non-illuminated mirror control panel is normal and is a pain at night. What is the other switch you are referring? The switch in the left to the mirror panel? (see the image) If that is the button you mentioned, I thought it is to heat the rear window. :unsure: I'm not sure because I haven't used it... Someone in the forum may enlighten both of us.

panelle8.th.jpgthpix.gif

Edited by chana

Chana,

Using the experience of the Premio (which not much of a difference with the Carina).

The switch with the side mirror indicator is for the mirror electric retract. There are 2 more switches that could be around the same place which are for the fog lamp & the electric coner gauging pole.

Non-illuminated mirror control panel is normal and is a pain at night. What is the other switch you are referring? The switch in the left to the mirror panel? (see the image) If that is the button you mentioned, I thought it is to heat the rear window. :unsure: I'm not sure because I haven't used it... Someone in the forum may enlighten both of us.

panelle8.th.jpgthpix.gif

Chana,

Your photograph shows the button which i am referring to. there is a light on top of that switch, but mine won't illuminate when i toggle it.

by the way do you know any agent selling second hand DVD/TV/ Setups which fits to the dashboard of carina? How much would it cost roughly?

Chana,

Your photograph shows the button which i am referring to. there is a light on top of that switch, but mine won't illuminate when i toggle it.

by the way do you know any agent selling second hand DVD/TV/ Setups which fits to the dashboard of carina? How much would it cost roughly?

For second hand DVD/TVs, do a search in Delkanda area. S*nL*anka, P*tco, Ad*an A*dio have brand new setups (double din type) but expensive.

For second hand DVD/TVs, do a search in Delkanda area. S*nL*anka, P*tco, Ad*an A*dio have brand new setups (double din type) but expensive.

go to japan lanka, Dehiwala US motors, Jayasiri motors Mawanella, Euro Nippon Dambulla. i saw they had lot of stock USED DVD/TVs

Chana,

Some of these units only have the TV, Navi, CD, Casette player & not for VCD & DVD's. You can get one of these for about 15k or even less. No idea on the prices for the units for which are DVD compatible.

... There is another switch coming with a side mirror indicator and a light on it which does not work in my case, what is this? Can you enlighten me?

ruwansusantha,

This switch is to heat the side mirrors. Check the fuse if it is not working in yours. Or may be only the bulb in the switch is busted.

Guys,

On my return back to Sri Lanka, I have already started searching a family sedan. I narrowed down my choice to a Carina AT212 (production year 2000 onward) or Corona Primio is also an option for me.

Can you guys enlight me with specific considrations on selecting a good example of these cars. Specifically,

1. the best engine capacity in terms of fuel consumption (my daily route will be peradeniya to kandy)

2. Any specific issues relevant for these models to be checked by a good machanic.

Many thanks in advance

vitz

Guys,

On my return back to Sri Lanka, I have already started searching a family sedan. I narrowed down my choice to a Carina AT212 (production year 2000 onward) or Corona Primio is also an option for me.

Can you guys enlight me with specific considrations on selecting a good example of these cars. Specifically,

1. the best engine capacity in terms of fuel consumption (my daily route will be peradeniya to kandy)

2. Any specific issues relevant for these models to be checked by a good machanic.

Many thanks in advance

vitz

1) 1.5 manual would be the best choise

but then i have heard that the 1.8 is gud on fuel too, let it be manual or auto, but it depends on the driving conditions i guess, may be chana can give you some help here?

2) as far i know, no such issues, just make sure its properly maintained

*everybody is looking for fuel economy these days :rolleyes: HMMM..

Guys,

Many thanks in advance

vitz

AT212 with a manual transmission will be a good choice for you when considering the area where you live. But if you are considering an auto, better go for a AT211, 1.8L version since it provides the best power/weight ratio for the car. Carina's are pretty reliable cars with no apparent issues as such. They were not produced after 2001. So the available cars are now 7 or more years old. Search the forum to get more specific information on Carinas.

Many thanks Kim and Chana, by going through the forum i also found that 1800 version is good in fuel.

It is good to know that 1500 manual is also an option. Chana, can you give me idea about the current market price, just give me a range.

keep you updated about my hunt

vitz

Many thanks Kim and Chana, by going through the forum i also found that 1800 version is good in fuel.

It is good to know that 1500 manual is also an option. Chana, can you give me idea about the current market price, just give me a range.

keep you updated about my hunt

vitz

Ti (1.5L) from 1.9 - 2.2 mil or may be higher ( I have seen Ti for 2.4 mil advertised in somewhere)

Si (1.8L) from 2.1 mil upwards ( I saw one for 2.3 mil on last Sunday papers)

These are facelifted versions came after 1999 (with so called 'Bee Honey Shell')

Pre-facelift versions are 2-4 lakhs lower than above.

Price vary depending on the options the car has too. The Si version came with rear wiper and Automatic head lights is pricier than the one came without them.

Most of the cars are autos, somewhat difficult to find manual ones. I too tried to find a manual but couldn't and went for the Auto.

Good Luck!

Ti (1.5L) from 1.9 - 2.2 mil or may be higher ( I have seen Ti for 2.4 mil advertised in somewhere)

Si (1.8L) from 2.1 mil upwards ( I saw one for 2.3 mil on last Sunday papers)

These are facelifted versions came after 1999 (with so called 'Bee Honey Shell')

Pre-facelift versions are 2-4 lakhs lower than above.

Price vary depending on the options the car has too. The Si version came with rear wiper and Automatic head lights is pricier than the one came without them.

Most of the cars are autos, somewhat difficult to find manual ones. I too tried to find a manual but couldn't and went for the Auto.

Good Luck!

hmmm those prices just seem a tad steep just by the looks of it...i could be wrong, but just a bit.. :unsure:

Many thanks. I came across few carinas last week end. As you mentioned, for the face-lift model most of people asked above 2.2. I couldnot find any example properly maintained. Being a 7-8 years old cars, the interior looked pretty detoriorated. I couldnot travel to colombo to have a look on other advertised ones.

What I noticed was these cars are higly over-priced irrespective of its condition.

Now I am feeling that its better to go for a newer car, something like Vios produced in the year 2004 (or a mazda BJ5P), rather than pursuing the carina dream.

thanks chana

I recently came across a few carinas (AT 212 Ti MyRoad)made in 99/2000/ 01 whose owners claimed of them doing over 10km/l in the city.

One was unbelievably 13km/l in the city.(year 2000). All these cars were to be sold.

when I came back to my fuel figures 7-8km/l in the city and 15km/l outstation after changing plugs, fuel filter, air filter, engine oil and ATF and tune-up.

I am still trying to increase my city consumption at least to 10km/l.

Recently, when the Toyota experts checked the overall car in an inspection, the condition of the plugs were remarkable with good fuel burning.

(but i did not mention the fuel economy issue) they drove it and there weren't any mention of repair needs except for a steering rack adjustment.

but the car is having a slight oil leak probably from the crank oil seal and packings of the crankcase. the condition of the radiator is bad with a lot of rust.(Am planning to replace the radiator initially.

With all this information, and the plugs being good, do I still have to go for a ECU reset or a sensor check from the Agents? what is your opinion Carina lovers? :action-smiley-060:

I recently came across a few carinas (AT 212 Ti MyRoad)made in 99/2000/ 01 whose owners claimed of them doing over 10km/l in the city.

One was unbelievably 13km/l in the city.(year 2000). All these cars were to be sold.

when I came back to my fuel figures 7-8km/l in the city and 15km/l outstation after changing plugs, fuel filter, air filter, engine oil and ATF and tune-up.

I am still trying to increase my city consumption at least to 10km/l.

Recently, when the Toyota experts checked the overall car in an inspection, the condition of the plugs were remarkable with good fuel burning.

(but i did not mention the fuel economy issue) they drove it and there weren't any mention of repair needs except for a steering rack adjustment.

but the car is having a slight oil leak probably from the crank oil seal and packings of the crankcase. the condition of the radiator is bad with a lot of rust.(Am planning to replace the radiator initially.

With all this information, and the plugs being good, do I still have to go for a ECU reset or a sensor check from the Agents? what is your opinion Carina lovers? :action-smiley-060:

If your carina is an automatic, 7-8 KM/l is about what you can expect in the city mate.. if it's a manual (Not a GT though) then maybe 9 to 10 in city.. The fact that it's doing 15 Outstation is evidence enough that your engine is in good nick... The radiator condition MIGHT have a slight impact because the cooling of the car isnt optimal... but you cant really be certain of that.

As to the wonderful figures claimed by those owners you mentioned... Well, they were trying to get their cars sold weren't they? It's not like they were going to sign a document stating that the cars would meet their fuel claims right? :D