• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sl Cops - Useful Tips

Ripper

Got this from a friend... feel free to add and correct...

1. A single Cop, CANNOT stop you on the road! (It's prohibited and you are not supposed to Stop either!)

2. A single cop CANNOT seize your driving license!

3. Only a 'traffic control' cop has the authority to request anything MORE than your NIC when you are behind wheels.

4. A single traffic cop NEVER can press charges against you. HE MUST HAVE A WITNESS IF DOES SO.

5. That's why you always find 'two' cops together

6. Police is a peace controlling force. NOT AN ARMED FORCE !!! They are prohibited by LAW to carry anything more than a BATON! (But due to the prevailing WAR, they are issued Guns by a supreme court ruling, till the war ENDS)

7. So, if a Cop pulls a gun on you, YOU CAN sue him!!!

8. If a COP claims that you are drunk, you have the FULL right to ask for a 'balloon test', if they DO NOT HAVE it in their possession on the time of your request, you can GO.

9. Only Traffic Cops have the RIGHT to stop any moving vehicle. (That's why you find at least 1 normal cop in every checkpoint even though they are manned by Army)

10. COPS, CANNOT ENTER YOUR HOME OR WORK PREMISES without a court Order. You have the FULLEST right ASK for it, if they try to enter and also DENY their entrance if you 'feel' like it.

11. A traffic cop CANNOT seize your driving license UNTIL he fully state the crime you have committed and the relating penal code violation. If he is unsuccessful in stating them, you can go free

12. If a traffic cop seizes your license by force and ask you to come to the police station to collect it. DO NOT GO! Lodge a complain directly to Police commission or the 'Provincial IGP', YOU can get the cop SACKED for his misconduct and unruly behaviour.

13. (For girls), If a COP asks for your Identifications and (if you think he's doing it in purpose to harass you......or if he's not a CUTE cop) you CAN deny his request. He cannot arrest you! You have the RIGHT to request for a Female Police officer.

14. (For Girls) If you are asked to be Body checked, it's your right to get it done by a female cop. If they don't have one in present, DENY their action.

14. (For Girls) If you are asked to be Body checked, it's your right to get it done by a female cop. If they don't have one in present, DENY their action.

I think No.14 should be applied to everyone.

I can tell from personal experience that it's not a good feeling when some hairy cop gropes around your no-no area. :speechless-smiley-023:

I can tell from personal experience that it's not a good feeling when some hairy cop gropes around your no-no area. :speechless-smiley-023:

You Mean That needs to be done by Female Officer?? even for guys?? :rolleyes:

1. A single Cop, CANNOT stop you on the road! (It's prohibited and you are not supposed to Stop either!)

3. Only a 'traffic control' cop has the authority to request anything MORE than your NIC when you are behind wheels.

4. A single traffic cop NEVER can press charges against you. HE MUST HAVE A WITNESS IF DOES SO.

6. Police is a peace controlling force. NOT AN ARMED FORCE !!! They are prohibited by LAW to carry anything more than a BATON! (But due to the prevailing WAR, they are issued Guns by a supreme court ruling, till the war ENDS)

8. If a COP claims that you are drunk, you have the FULL right to ask for a 'balloon test', if they DO NOT HAVE it in their possession on the time of your request, you can GO.

9. Only Traffic Cops have the RIGHT to stop any moving vehicle. (That's why you find at least 1 normal cop in every checkpoint even though they are manned by Army)

10. COPS, CANNOT ENTER YOUR HOME OR WORK PREMISES without a court Order. You have the FULLEST right ASK for it, if they try to enter and also DENY their entrance if you 'feel' like it.

11. A traffic cop CANNOT seize your driving license UNTIL he fully state the crime you have committed and the relating penal code violation. If he is unsuccessful in stating them, you can go free

12. If a traffic cop seizes your license by force and ask you to come to the police station to collect it. DO NOT GO! Lodge a complain directly to Police commission or the 'Provincial IGP', YOU can get the cop SACKED for his misconduct and unruly behaviour.

13. (For girls), If a COP asks for your Identifications and (if you think he's doing it in purpose to harass you......or if he's not a CUTE cop) you CAN deny his request. He cannot arrest you! You have the RIGHT to request for a Female Police officer.

Thanks Ripper For the valuable Info, but with the Emergency law, anybody can arrest you without a arrest warrant. am i right?

Thanks Ripper For the valuable Info, but with the Emergency law, anybody can arrest you without a arrest warrant. am i right?

when you put it like that...this is Sri Lanka after all... anybody can do anything and get away with it if they know the right people...

I've had heated arguments with coppers over these sorta issue but finally all work out for them unless you're "connected"

the biggest joke is that when you file an official complaint in police commission against a cop, the so called "investigation" happens at the ASP's office in that area... which is a cop shed...

Try walking into a cop shed and say you're there to proceed with this sort of a case... You get treated like a terrorist from the gate security onwards...

I know this cos i've gone through it once.... not at all something i wanna do again.

especially after coppers bumping off that fella in Negombo for proceeding with a case against them..

l

Ruslan

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Today, 11:08 AM Post #3

Group: Members

Member No.: 11,288

QUOTE(HelRazor @ Oct 13 2008, 12:02 PM)

I can tell from personal experience that it's not a good feeling when some hairy cop gropes around your no-no area.

You Mean That needs to be done by Female Officer?? even for guys??

i Second that with only one consideration...they need to be pretty.... :rolleyes:

Great points here but as its a Land Like No Other I wonder how we could really use these points to talk our way out :action-smiley-060: . But anyway good to know that there are laws like this.

I think this is useful information.

It could be made even more useful if somebody who is a lawyer can confirm these facts and refer us to the acts or sections of law where it is so stipulated

Then we can all get our copy of the motor traffic act, highlight the relevant sections and put it in the cubby hole for the day it might become necessary !

I think this is useful information.

It could be made even more useful if somebody who is a lawyer can confirm these facts and refer us to the acts or sections of law where it is so stipulated

Then we can all get our copy of the motor traffic act, highlight the relevant sections and put it in the cubby hole for the day it might become necessary !

Good idea mate.

I just found out otherwise ;). You can challenge a single cop in court, but thats too much of an mess being dragged through courts. You need two cops to substantiate the evidence only

• 3 months later...

Machan, there are couple of cases (I heard) and I have doubts about them. :unsure:

If we dont stop in this type of situation (in single cop), the perticular cop noting down the number and start a case against the owner that you did not stop the vehicle. Lets say you stoped at Maharagama and you stay in some where else, then cops will file a case against your vehicle and couple of days back your regional police guys will come to your place and arrest you.

1) Can they do that type of arrestment?

2) Can we argue saying that "we did not know if he is a real cop or not"? if so, under what circumstance we can argue?

Sorry If i reopen the thread! :rolleyes: