• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Renewing Instrument Face And Backlight

Iroshana

I heard that there is a place at Darley road which they doing renewing of instruments like changing face color, re printing values on the face.. etc.

Also heard that they could change the traditional indicator and numbers in the gauge to illuminate like in new cars. This could be done to speedometer, RPM or any gauge.

Is this true???? if anybody know the place, please advise.

you can find the back lighting systems from more or less all the major car styling joints but i think they are only available for few specific models

As I heard these back lighting material can be bought and carry out a custom print job.. not very sure about this but ask for the blank illuminating dials..

yeah! I also would like to know about this. Please help if any of you guys have an idea about this process or some instrument face renovation processes similar to this. Thanks in advance. :)

I overhauled my instrument cluster completely over the weekend. Had a problem with the RPM meter and went and bought a whole new (used) instrument cluster for only 2500 from Nugegoda. (Nissan P11). Replaced the broken RPM meter with the new working one and cannibalized the rest. Kept the original speedometer and wiped clean the reverse side of the meter facias (***CAREFULLY ***). Replace old faded bulb covers with new ones, wiped the needles (***CAREFULLY***) with cotton tipped buds.

There was a lot of traffic film, soot from the bulbs and dust, careful wiping got rid of them all. Did i Say that you have to be CAREFUL??

Did the same for the AC controls.

Now everything is as GOOD AS NEW!!! Bright as the day it may have looked when it rolled off the factory.

Word of caution though...Unless you know what you are doing, pulling out the meter board is not recommended... :)

I heard that there is a place at Darley road which they doing renewing of instruments like changing face color, re printing values on the face.. etc.

Also heard that they could change the traditional indicator and numbers in the gauge to illuminate like in new cars. This could be done to speedometer, RPM or any gauge.

Is this true???? if anybody know the place, please advise.

I too would like to do this – Looking for a white face instead of the standard black. I’ve seen cars with white dials on Mazda’s

Replacing the bulbs is not a major thing as I’ve done it – the quality of the bulbs is very important as the normal ones discolour after some time.

Please let me know if there is such a place too -

I too would like to do this – Looking for a white face instead of the standard black. I’ve seen cars with white dials on Mazda’s

Replacing the bulbs is not a major thing as I’ve done it – the quality of the bulbs is very important as the normal ones discolour after some time.

Bro, What is the wattage of the bulbs you used to replace the instrument cluster with? Are those 5 W bulbs which are same size as the bulbs coming for the park lights?

I know how to remove the panels infront of the instrument cluster but removing the speedo meter cable and pulling the instrument panel out is a problem for me. Please can someone help me and tell me the way to remove the bulbs and replace with new ones? Procedure is required. Thank you very much!!!

My car is a toyota with old black meters.

By the way, please recommend me a brand of quality bulb as you mention.

Thanks a lot guys. :rolleyes:

Edited by Car Maniac

Machan I'm planing to do the job my self. I will look for any replies for few more days and will try to do it my self. Seems its possible with some digital printing stuff. Will update once the job is done.

Machan I'm planing to do the job my self. I will look for any replies for few more days and will try to do it my self. Seems its possible with some digital printing stuff. Will update once the job is done.

Good luck man :grinning-smiley-004: - So looks like your going to be the Ginny pig :D pls keep us posted - Who know if it works well - name a price and I'll come to u (Reasonable price that is :D )

Bro, What is the wattage of the bulbs you used to replace the instrument cluster with? Are those 5 W bulbs which are same size as the bulbs coming for the park lights?

I know how to remove the panels infront of the instrument cluster but removing the speedo meter cable and pulling the instrument panel out is a problem for me. Please can someone help me and tell me the way to remove the bulbs and replace with new ones? Procedure is required. Thank you very much!!!

My car is a toyota with old black meters.

By the way, please recommend me a brand of quality bulb as you mention.

Thanks a lot guys. :rolleyes:

There was a site but can’t seem to find it.

BE VERY CARFUL – DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE NEEDLES unless u have a spare pannel on stand by.

My panel has no Speedo cable as it’s electronic – but just hump the cable – the bulbs are 5W and vary in size – that means u need to remove the ones in side and take them to a shop where u can buy them-

There’s a shop in panchikawatha – proceed straight from the Theatre /hall pass the MM motors and other shops till u come to a round about- take a left and go about 50M and the shop is on the left side (Can’t remember the name but a tall building – blue color I think)