• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tyre Help...

ash

Question

I'm in an urgent need of replacing my four tires. Recommended size is 215/50/17. I’m using Dunlop Performa 8000 now. It’s not worn-out, but because of the age of the tire (DoM 2001) it has cracked from the inside ridge.

I have checked few places for tires. Only one place carries that size (50), but that is also Nankang (Taiwan). How is Nankang???

The other available sizes are Dunlop 215/45/17 & 215/55/17, Eagle 1 215/45/17. Has anybody used these sizes? How is the driving feel? Any more suggestions what I should look in to?

Value your quick suggestions.

I'm in an urgent need of replacing my four tires. Recommended size is 215/50/17. I’m using Dunlop Performa 8000 now. It’s not worn-out, but because of the age of the tire (DoM 2001) it has cracked from the inside ridge.

I have checked few places for tires. Only one place carries that size (50), but that is also Nankang (Taiwan). How is Nankang???

The other available sizes are Dunlop 215/45/17 & 215/55/17, Eagle 1 215/45/17. Has anybody used these sizes? How is the driving feel? Any more suggestions what I should look in to?

nankang is good value for money.. but dont try to compare your dunlops to nanakang... but for the back i guess nankang is ok.. provided ur vehicle is FWD :jumping-smiley-013:

• Like 1

Machan did you try Potenza? Try Autodrome....

Machan did you try Potenza? Try Autodrome....

No.. Not even a compatible size, Only Nankang got the exact size. Dunlop, Bridgstone, Hankook, Roadstone all got 215/45/17.

I'm considering going for 45 since 50 is not available. What do you think. :unsure:

Hi Ash, this is just my two cents, but about 4 months back I replaced my front tyres with two new Nankangs (185/65 x 14)

and they were fine for a while, but after a few weeks, my front wheels started wobbling. checked all the suspension bits

and finally brought it down to the tyres.............changed to bridgestones and have had no prob since.

Turns out the kinda soft Nankangs had warped and thus made the wheels wobble. (Aparently theyre of a much softer compound than most other tyres on the market and due to that tend to damage easily on our welll maintained roads :rolleyes: )

Of course this is not a post to dis Nankangs, cause mine could have been an isolated incident, but just thought I'd mention it.

BTW, If youre replacing all four why not go for the Dunlop's or Eagles you'd mentioned..........of course youd have a wee bit less rubber between the rim n road.

nankang is good value for money.. but dont try to compare your dunlops to nanakang... but for the back i guess nankang is ok.. provided ur vehicle is FWD :jumping-smiley-013:

It's a P12 (FWD). What do you mean by, for front Nankang is ok? Why with Nankang braking is not good? I actually need to replace all four.

No.. Not even a compatible size, Only Nankang got the exact size. Dunlop, Bridgstone, Hankook, Roadstone all got 215/45/17.

I'm considering going for 45 since 50 is not available. What do you think.

:unsure:

In my defense, this post wasn't there when I hit the reply button.

And Pila and Vshiz both said Nankang was good when I was looking.

I would go with 215/55/17 if it doesn't knock anywhere considering the condition of our roads and the fact that its your daily ride.

Reminds me that I'll need new rubber very soon as well Ash. Let me know if the guy is willing to give you a deal for 8. Theres nothing wrong with NSII's machan- had them on the civic and they were bang for buck.

I personally would not go for anything less than 50: the ride is stiff as it is. 55 would be ideal i think.

Check Hankook. Right next to Splash in Battaramulla. Or I can send you a dudes phone number once I get home.

Plz...

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

If 215/50R17 is not available the alternate size is 235/45R17

Isn't that too wide? :unsure:

I would go with 215/55/17 if it doesn't knock anywhere considering the condition of our roads and the fact that its your daily ride.

True

Reminds me that I'll need new rubber very soon as well Ash. Let me know if the guy is willing to give you a deal for 8. Theres nothing wrong with NSII's machan- had them on the civic and they were bang for buck.

I personally would not go for anything less than 50: the ride is stiff as it is. 55 would be ideal i think.

Will chk for 8.

Dunlop @ SKM - 45 for 20,117/- & 55 for 18,279/-

Eagle @ pitstop - 45 for 17,871/-

Nankang - 45 for 16,240/-

Will chk the prices of Nankang 55's tomorrow.

Just have to chk whether 55's 'll fit the wells. Looks very big compared.

I'm considering going for 45 since 50 is not available. What do you think.

:unsure:

If 50 is not available I personally prefer 55 over 45 machan. As pila said 45 will give you a stiffy ride and also might harm your suspensions on the long run and also our roads might damage your rims.

I've read on other threads that the Ohtsu Falkens are made of a relatively hard compound thus resulting in more road noise and relatively stiffer ride. Is this true ? Does anybody else have experience with these tyres ?

What do people think about Kumho ECSTA's ? will they not have the size ash is after ?

How about Pirelli P6000, Michelin Pilot Sport, Yokohamas and Falken?

Size 215/50/17 or any compatible size is not available in Michelin (D*MO). Who does Yokos and Falkens? (D*MO)

If 50 is not available I personally prefer 55 over 45 machan. As pila said 45 will give you a stiffy ride and also might harm your suspensions on the long run and also our roads might damage your rims.

I also would like to go 55 over 45’s since it’s my daily drive. The worry of the 55 is though it’ll fix in to the wheel well, whether it’ll touch the suspension with a full turn of the wheel or with a full capacity of 3 passengers in the back (which I very rarely do) and some luggage in the boot.

I've read on other threads that the Ohtsu Falkens are made of a relatively hard compound thus resulting in more road noise and relatively stiffer ride. Is this true ? Does anybody else have experience with these tyres ?

What do people think about Kumho ECSTA's ? will they not have the size ash is after ?

Who are the Kumho agents Don?

Size 215/50/17 or any compatible size is not available in Michelin (D*MO). Who does Yokos and Falkens? (D*MO)

Who are the Kumho agents Don?

Try Michelin with an agent. There's one on Havelock Road opposite the Hindu Kovil. Yokos - U M L . Falken - Amila on Hill Street (I think). Kumhos - ALfred Edirisinghe & Sons Maradana.

I thought I saw a Jag S-type being shod with Pirellis of that size at Amila on Malay Street.

Edited by GTAm

Hi Guys,

I have just checked a wholesaler I buy from here in the UK and they list Michelin Primacy, Pirelli p7, P Zero,Dunlop, Goodyear,Nexen and Wanli in this size from stock. So If you can find a local tyre dealaer for any of these brands you should be able to get them. If you go for a different profile tyre be ware that lowering the profile from 50 to 45 may cause a loss of comfort as the tyre has less cushioning to absorb the pot holes and may damage easily as well.

Maithri

If 215/50R17 is not available the alternate size is 205/55R17

i beg to differ! i came across that exact size last evening!!

I thought I saw a Jag S-type being shod with Pirellis of that size at Amila on Malay Street.

yup right on GTAm - they have that size but Yokohama's

Thank you very much guys for helping me to find a set of tires and on the information.

Finally found a Yokohama C-Drive (Japan) 215/50/17 from Ami*a Tires. Got it fixed today. Good value for money. It’s not a super performance tire, but good balance between performance and comfort.

Special thank goes to Devinda for finding me the tires. Thanks Man…

Thanks again guys.

cdrivegridpe9.gif

cdrivefullif8.jpg

Thank you very much guys for helping me to find a set of tires and on the information.

Finally found a Yokohama C-Drive (Japan) 215/50/17 from Ami*a Tires. Got it fixed today. Good value for money. It’s not a super performance tire, but good balance between performance and comfort.

Special thank goes to Devinda for finding me the tires. Thanks Man…

Thanks again guys.

cdrivegridpe9.gif

cdrivefullif8.jpg

Good Find machan. Can you tell us how much was the cost if you dont mind?

Good Find machan. Can you tell us how much was the cost if you dont mind?

16k each. It was the cheapest I've got (even cheaper than the Thai Nankang). But last set of that size.... :rolleyes: