• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Is Having A Heating Problem. (opel Astra 1999)

MartizBuddy

Question

6 answers to this question

Hi,

I have a Opel Astra 1.4 1999 model car. Now the car is having a heating problem and coolant seems to b leaking too.

When I the car is on mode (not start), radiator fan starts too.

Please advice me on this matter to check the exact problem in the car.

Thx

1. Check radiator for leaks

2. Check radiator horses for leaks

3. Check whether coolant is leaking from water pump seals

4. Check the radiator cap for leaks and operations of it’s valve

5. Check whether the fan belt is tight

6. Check the extra coolant reservoir for any leaks

7. Check and replace your fan switch to correct the fan problem

8. Check whether the radiator fans are in order

If everything above are in order, and still car is heating check following:

1. Check the thermostat valve

2. Check the main head gasket

Once you pay attention to above steps, you should be able to rectify the heating problem for sure.

GMI

Hi,

I have a Opel Astra 1.4 1999 model car. Now the car is having a heating problem and coolant seems to b leaking too.

When I the car is on mode (not start), radiator fan starts too.

Please advice me on this matter to check the exact problem in the car.

Thx

The radiator fan will start when the car is on the "on" position if the air conditioner is on at the time or if the radiator fan fail safe system has been activated due to a component failing in that circuit.

If you are losing coolant you need to follow GMI's instructions. I think rather than you fiddling around with things it is best you take the car to a qualified technician because whatever the fix it wont be a DIY job and it needs to be fixed soon to avoid further damage to the engine.

Opel Astra I heard gives this problem mainly because we do not know how to maintain it right. If you ask the agents they will explian the cause which is most of the time filling the reserves fully. Apparently it is all electronically controlled and when you fill the tanks fully, there will be some bursts which result in leaks. Take the right advice. It is a German car and the common advice you get for Jap cars will not help much.

Edited by L board

Also this could be a leak from one of the water jackets.... hoist the vehicel and check somewhere near the starter motor, somewhere close to the gear box. if there is water dripping while the vehicle is stalled and not when it is moving it could be leaking from the water pump, if the water is still leaking while the vehicle is hot it is from either the hoses or the water jackets....

This model does come with an electric fan .. so there is no fan belt,, since it has a thermostat valve then the fan is electric... is there a strange noise coming out of the fan , if so then the fan is busted ( anotehr way to check this is swicth the enigne on and the fan is rotating just see if the fan is lagging, rotating slowly, or it is rotating at a stady pace..) ( in other word see if the fan serves it purpose or it still rotates.)

GMI

1. Check radiator for leaks

2. Check radiator horses for leaks

3. Check whether coolant is leaking from water pump seals

4. Check the radiator cap for leaks and operations of it’s valve

5. Check whether the fan belt is tight

6. Check the extra coolant reservoir for any leaks

7. Check and replace your fan switch to correct the fan problem

8. Check whether the radiator fans are in order

If everything above are in order, and still car is heating check following:

1. Check the thermostat valve

2. Check the main head gasket

Once you pay attention to above steps, you should be able to rectify the heating problem for sure.

GMI

Good look up GMI. The viscous coupling too can go wrong. worth adding into the lookup list.

This is a common car around here in the uk. The cooling fan has no fail safe device so if the thermo switch fails it will not switch on and cause the car to overheat. These are common for water pump leaks-the pump is driven by the cam belt so a little hard to see, the fan belt does not form a part of the cooling system apart from driving the alternator which provides electricity for the electric fan to run.The coolant tank is clearly marked with MAX so you should not over fill it as this does not leave any space for the hot coolant to expand into.

The down side of this car specially in the 16valve configuration is they will start leaking from the head gasket if you allow the car to over heat, or due to cavitation caused by poor quality coolant.

If you are removing the cylinder head be sure to use new head bolts and tighten according to the manufacturers set angle torque settings.

If the leak is from the water pump, noticable from the drip of water at the front of the engine when running replace the cam belt and all the idlers and the tensioner pulley together as these are due for change with a cam belt and prone to failure once past their recomended milage.

Hopefully you have looked at the very obvious things like the radiator and hoses as well.

Maithri