• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mini Compressor

chams_mini

Hi All,

Just want to know if there are several types of compressors which comes for the Mini. I mean do you get a difeerent type compressor for mini 1000 model and 1275 model ? If so how cam you identify??

Appreciate all your comments

Are you talking about an A/C Compressor? Are you trying to retrofit a A/C unit to a mini?

Hi All,

Just want to know if there are several types of compressors which comes for the Mini. I mean do you get a difeerent type compressor for mini 1000 model and 1275 model ? If so how cam you identify??

Appreciate all your comments

I’ve seen 3 types of A/C compressors on MINIs, which have come from Japan.

1. A/C compressor with single pulley.

2. A/C compressor with double pulley with additional mounting holes underneath

3. A/C compressor with double pulley but small in size and has no additional mounts

Unfortunately I do not have part numbers of above as of now. But make sure to buy the same A/C compressor if you want a replacement, unless you buy with all mounting brackets and adjuster. Last week I bought one from Kelaniya of above type 2.

GMI

Hi GMI,

Will there be any kind of impact for the performance of the engine by using any of these compressors?? I mean the compressor model you get for 1000cc and 1275 cc is same rite ?? Or is there any differance??

Can overheating occur due to a default in compressor??

A/C compressors are same for both 998cc and 1275cc engines.

I’ve used double pulley compressors in manual 998cc and 1275cc engines and single pulley compressor in 998cc automatic engine. As of my experience the performance drop is same with all 3 types of compressors. The double pulley compressor tends to slip v belts at high RPMs but the single pulley compressor never slips as it has a separate driving belt from crank pulley.

Overheating due to compressor:

1. If the compressor is faulty or A/C gas is overloaded, and if engine has to put more power in rotating it, there could be belt slipping and could result in overheating.

If your Mini overheats when the A/C is on, it’s worth paying attention to following;

1. Check your main fan leaf’s shape and it’s air flow

2. Check whether your auxiliary electric fan switches on when you hit half in your temperature gauge

3. Check air flow of your auxiliary electric fan. If the fan has noises or a play on it’s spindle, it’s worth to replace it

4. Check the functionality of your thermostat valve. If you run with 88 Celsius one, it’s good to replace with 74C one

5. Check and tight all your fan belts

6. Check for radiator coolant leaks

7. Check your radiator cap

8. Make sure it has an overflow can

9. Make sure ignition timing is set properly

10. Make sure main head gasket is not leaking

11. Make sure that the space between radiator and fender is covered for electric fan to exhaust air only through the radiator

12. Make sure your engine is not running under compression

13. If you have a fuel injected mini, it will automatically shouts off the A/C compression when the engine is overheated

If all the above is taken care of, then your Mini should not be overheating when A/C is on.

Please post your exact problem, so that many of us can share our experiences.

• 2 months later...

Hi GMI,

I checked every thing in the list above.

Recently got a 74 degree and replaced also.

A/C works fine and the condensor does'nt get hot even.

But the only problem is the heat level goes brond half level and stops at a certain point.

Also this happens only in day time.

I replaced the water pump recently too.

The prob is the temp rises beyond half only when i turn on A/C in day time.

The only factor to look at is the radiator.

But that is cleaned recently as well.

Just need to know whether it's ok to run like this neglecting the increase in temp beyond half.

I have an smiths temp guage thus don't know whether there is an faulty as these guages are pretty old.

Also what is the Ampere level of the alternator which comes along with the A/C fitted engines?Is there enough capacity to charge a battery when A/C, Lights and Stereo is switched on.

This is coz most people say that the alternator which comes with this engine doesn't charge properly and you should go for a Nissan march 80 amp alternator. Is this the case?

Hi GMI,

I checked every thing in the list above.

Recently got a 74 degree and replaced also.

A/C works fine and the condensor does'nt get hot even.

But the only problem is the heat level goes brond half level and stops at a certain point.

Also this happens only in day time.

I replaced the water pump recently too.

The prob is the temp rises beyond half only when i turn on A/C in day time.

The only factor to look at is the radiator.

But that is cleaned recently as well.

Just need to know whether it's ok to run like this neglecting the increase in temp beyond half.

I have an smiths temp guage thus don't know whether there is an faulty as these guages are pretty old.

Also what is the Ampere level of the alternator which comes along with the A/C fitted engines?Is there enough capacity to charge a battery when A/C, Lights and Stereo is switched on.

This is coz most people say that the alternator which comes with this engine doesn't charge properly and you should go for a Nissan march 80 amp alternator. Is this the case?

If the temp is constant below red range in the gauge, it's god to go. Slightly above half is the normal range in many Minis. However, if the car is not boiling, nor you feel very hot inside the passenger area, behind the firewall it's good to go. I hope you run with a 3 core radiator. If your engine is for leaded fuel and if you run unleaded, there could be a working temperature increase.

All in all, still there is a fault in your heat exchange system as you experience 2 different working temperatures with and without A/C - when you use a thermostat, working temperature should be constant.

If you have 45Amps alternator, you will experience battery drains if you run short distances with head lights, wipers, A/C, stereo, and fog laps on. It's better to have a 75/90 amp new alternator - you can buy an Indian one for around Rs.3000- or can get a brand new Lucas one for around Rs.6,500-. the same alternator goes in to Land Rover, Massey Ferguson tractor and for some other English cars.

Japanese used alternator is the best option (as charging is controlled by ICs) if you do not worry on using English or English look alike spares.

GMI