• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sensor Problems In Fb15

lasi

Dear All,

I wish to buy FB15 YOM 2000, everybody says FB15 has inherent sensor problems, but nobody is so specific.

What actually these problems are? do all models have this problem?

Are there any annoying problems?

The earliest examples of FB15 (amongst other Nissan's) had issues with their Oxygen sensors (probably thanks to our low quality fuel) and they needed to be replaced. But I am fairly confident nearly all the examples on the road right now has had the sensors replaced and the same problem should not recur.

Some also had issues with the cam position sensor but here again most would have had this sensor replaced. The later cars did not seem to suffer as badly as the early cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the air flow sensor replaced of my own 'Sunny' near 50K (abt 2 years back). The first thing you experience is that the car is burning a lot of fuel and the pulling power going down the drains.

I got the sensor from a joint at Hill Street Dehiwala, for 8K and replaced it. A*W recommends an engine tuneup after the replacement so I got it done too, and the car was back to normal (no.. it became better I guess, with better pulling power and less thirsty)

When I asked about the sensor problem from the techies at the workshop they pointed out that the earlier version of the sensor came with 5 connecting leads connecting to it and the newer versions (with the defect fixed) comes with 4 connecting leads. So you can simply check this in the car that you're going to buy. And they also mentioned that the cars manufactured from 2001 have this new sensor as the factory default.

da culprit.

1a554a1bc2.jpg

From my experience this is a good car with 1 design defect apart from the sensor problem. The front suspension assembly sits on one lower arm bush. The lower arm bush tends to break due to the poor condition of our roads. (I think in Corolla there are two lower arm bushes to compensate). Usually you will have to replace the bush at least once a year no matter how carefully you drive. The part is not available at the agents separately (you will have to replace the whole lower arm). The good news is that the separate bush is available at panchikawatte and any mechanic could replace it. Typically the total cost of replacement will be under 3000/=.

Apart from these its a good car.

Edited by isam

I've had the air flow sensor replaced of my own 'Sunny' near 50K (abt 2 years back). The first thing you experience is that the car is burning a lot of fuel and the pulling power going down the drains.

I got the sensor from a joint at Hill Street Dehiwala, for 8K and replaced it. A*W recommends an engine tuneup after the replacement so I got it done too, and the car was back to normal (no.. it became better I guess, with better pulling power and less thirsty)

When I asked about the sensor problem from the techies at the workshop they pointed out that the earlier version of the sensor came with 5 connecting leads connecting to it and the newer versions (with the defect fixed) comes with 4 connecting leads. So you can simply check this in the car that you're going to buy. And they also mentioned that the cars manufactured from 2001 have this new sensor as the factory default.

da culprit.

1a554a1bc2.jpg

From my experience this is a good car with 1 design defect apart from the sensor problem. The front suspension assembly sits on one lower arm bush. The lower arm bush tends to break due to the poor condition of our roads. (I think in Corolla there are two lower arm bushes to compensate). Usually you will have to replace the bush at least once a year no matter how carefully you drive. The part is not available at the agents separately (you will have to replace the whole lower arm). The good news is that the separate bush is available at panchikawatte and any mechanic could replace it. Typically the total cost of replacement will be under 3000/=.

Apart from these its a good car.

Agreeing with you mate. FB15 is a good car apart from few problems you mentioned. As I know the new sensor configuration is available with most of the 2000 models too.

Most people who never used a FB15 will tell that it’s not a good car and fuel consumption is really bad. But if you go to road and count you will find that most of the Japanese cars on road are FB 15's. :blink: