• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

92 Civic Eg8 Suspension

shanX

Hi guys, I have a Civic EG8 VTi, recently I replaced rear shocks, from stock to KYB. Recently while cornering, I cud feel rear tires rubbing fenders, when there are people in the rear. I have 15" wheel rims and the tyre size is 195/55/R15, which is a bit wider size and sticks out of fenders. I guess, I have stock springs. Earlier I didnt have this issue much. So cud this be weak springs? Or is this normal with this tire size? And would I have to lift the car?

Or would I have to go for newer springs?

I would like to have some stiffer springs but luv to hav the car at factory height too. So could you guys suggest me where could I get em? And hw much am looking at?

Advanced Thanks!!! :)

That tire size IMO should not be an issue as its a common size run on most EG's and EK's- however 14" is the recommended factory size. Have you used wheel spacers? That could effect clearance within the wheel arch. At the sametime if you are still using the same springs that came on the car- chances are they have lost stiffness and can no longer take the weight due to their age. That being said Honda's do have a reputation for bottoming out with a rear load. In my old civic as rule of thumb I avoided loading the rear with more than two ‘very light’ passengers ;):)

As Elvis also pointed out the tyre profile seems to be an ok match for 15" wheels. Is your car's suspension modified in anyway? One of my friends is facing similar issues with his EG vtec under similar conditions, but in his case it is mainly due to modified suspension setup. In his case the stock springs had been reduced in length to lower the car and then coupled with aftermarket KYB shocks.Tyres on his car are about the same size as yours, but they fit perfectly inside the wheel wells.As evlis has also pointed out in his post, check for any wheel spacers.

Check if the previous has lowered the car but cutting sections off the stock springs.But if you are 100% sure that the springs arent altered in anyway, then go back to the above post.

EDIT: and also, dont forget to pay some attention to the last sentence of his post...:)

Edited by GearHead

@Elvis: Yeah, I have also heard that EG9 SiR has had this tyre size. And there are people runing 17"s on EGs right?? SO ya tyre size is not the issue. Nope, no wheel spacers. Only recently I bought the car. It had stock shocks and springs also stock I guess. And springs don't seem like cut. heh heh ya hav to agree about rear load matter, but in my case it bottoms out even with light-weight passengers lol.

@GearHead: Ya, there was a suspension mod, it was not lowered, it was the opposite, it was being lifted earlier. Some dumba$$ has forced it to look like a 4x4 lol. I lowered it back to normal height with the shocks upgrade, now it sits at normal height and ya ther's enuff space on wheel wells, but bottoms out on corners with load. Springs dont seem like cut.

Have heard about "rolling fenders", but dont wanna mess with bodywork and also if springs are messes, they would mess up shocks initially right? So guys what should I do?? Should I go for new springs? If so where can I get a good set of aftermarket springs and how much? :)

Edited by shanX

If the springs were stretched in an attempt to increase ride height.. chances are they are f'ed and need to be changed

No, they were not stretched, but they have lifted by placing wood blocks that exactly fit shock mounts. Anyway yeah, springs have to be replaced. I would like to have some sporty springs, but would like to know prices and places, I hope you guys would know ;)

sorry bro, i dont know of any places in SL that would sell these stuff off the shelf for an EG..try ebay. However, if this is your DD then think twice before you drop in some stiff springs as it could seriously reduce the ride comfort of the car, and not only that, it will make the whole interior rattle every time you go over a small bump or a pot whole. This could become a headache after sometime. Lets not talk about the other adverse effects this would have on the car in the long-run.

Edited by GearHead

@Elvis: Yeah, I have also heard that EG9 SiR has had this tyre size. And there are people runing 17"s on EGs right?? SO ya tyre size is not the issue. Nope, no wheel spacers. Only recently I bought the car. It had stock shocks and springs also stock I guess. And springs don't seem like cut. heh heh ya hav to agree about rear load matter, but in my case it bottoms out even with light-weight passengers lol.

@GearHead: Ya, there was a suspension mod, it was not lowered, it was the opposite, it was being lifted earlier. Some dumba$$ has forced it to look like a 4x4 lol. I lowered it back to normal height with the shocks upgrade, now it sits at normal height and ya ther's enuff space on wheel wells, but bottoms out on corners with load. Springs dont seem like cut.

Have heard about "rolling fenders", but dont wanna mess with bodywork and also if springs are messes, they would mess up shocks initially right? So guys what should I do?? Should I go for new springs? If so where can I get a good set of aftermarket springs and how much? :)

i guess you better not go for after market Springs for EG8 cos most of them were stiff sports springs that lowered the vehicle than stock springs. how's the Strut mounts? is it the originals or aftermarket crappy ones? try to find Recon Springs from Delkanda area. bottoming even can happen if the shocks were bad.

Edited by Ruslan

i guess you better not go for after market Springs for EG8 cos most of them were stiff sports springs that lowered the vehicle than stock springs. how's the Strut mounts? is it the originals or aftermarket crappy ones? try to find Recon Springs from Delkanda area. bottoming even can happen if the shocks were bad.

Strut mounts look fine. Only just recently replaced shocks. Yeah planing to look for recon ones too ;)

sorry bro, i dont know of any places in SL that would sell these stuff off the shelf for an EG..try ebay. However, if this is your DD then think twice before you drop in some stiff springs as it could seriously reduce the ride comfort of the car, and not only that, it will make the whole interior rattle every time you go over a small bump or a pot whole. This could become a headache after sometime. Lets not talk about the other adverse effects this would have on the car in the long-run.

Yep, thought about the effects of stiffer springs too. So am planning to get Neuspeed SoftSport (Model no - 55.20.09), which is sort of like 0.75" lower than factory height (when compared to some 1.5"-2" lowered ones) and only 5%-10% stiffer than factory springs.

Edited by shanX