• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Letter From Insurence - Compulsory Excess

corollahv

Question

Dear Friends,

Iam seeking your open minded opinions for the following incident.

My wife got F**** P*** full insurence from SL I******* 10 months ago.

She had 7 claims so far and all were very clear road accidents.

We received claims without worries.

But today we received a letter from SL I******* saying ..

"They have decided to impose a 20,000/= compulsory excess from the next claim for the period of one year, due to bad claims experience"

My Personal View is this,

As far as I know, insurence policy does not have such statement.

We are not making accidents on our will, but after it happens we have right to claim.

I can change the insurence company after 1 year, but to the social benefit, should I take any action againt SL I******* ?

(I have the signed letter with me, so I guess it's ok to publish company names here)

For your comments please.

22 answers to this question

yes, seven claims in 10 months is a lot imo....why not refrain from putting in claims for minor accidents,and fix it yourself...that way you will not be charged an excess,and at the same time get a no claims bonus,anyway i'm no insurence expert.

I agree with HellRazor.... getting small claims all the time affects your risk factor and also your no claim bonus will be affected. 7 in 10 months is too much, no Insurance company will tolerate that kind of risk without imposing extra charges. If you do make a noise all you will do is open yourself up for criticism.

That particular company for me has always been wonderful. My wife's' car had 3 serious dents and each time they came and approved the repair, but we never got it done due to this or that reason. Finally we got them all done at once settled the garage and went on a Saturday morning to show the staff in Vauxhall street for payment approval. They took the photos and said they will send the payment later, I assumed that it will take a few days.

We did our work for that day and we got home around 4 , PRONTO has delivered the cheque for 45K already!!! That is Service, my friend! So, I am thinking that they are within their rights to impose an excess payment due to what in their eyes must be a 'very high risk'. No offense meant.

As a rule, if it''s less than Rs. 5000 I don't claim.

OK Friends.

We'll accept it.

Anyway It would be better, If they had informed their high risk criteria at the time of the agreement.

Thanks for your comments!

This is normal practice in other countries where the premium you pay depends on your age, number of years driving experience, no of past accidents and even where you park your car.

Over here, they insure the car regardless of the driver, so best advice would be to switch to another insurance company next year, and like the others said, avoid claiming insurance for minor damages

OK Friends.

We'll accept it.

Anyway It would be better, If they had informed their high risk criteria at the time of the agreement.

Thanks for your comments!

mate! find a cocky insurance agent, befriend him. get insurance to all you property through him. and recommend him to your family and friends. he'll be so greatful to you that he'll let you claim your accidents to a certain extent and still get your no claim bonus.

no offence but 7 crashes in 10 months would certainly put him off. in fact i'm starting to wonder if your car is still drivable after having 7 crashes thats worth claiming for. :P

just kidding mate. as my collegues said try to repair the minor dents yourself. hope it wasnt the headlamps that got broken on all 7 occasions :lol:

My wife adds a good selling price to the car, because it is doctor driven. :violent-smiley-099:

IMO, you should be aggressive with the insurance company and refuse to pay the excess 20,000. Take a stand. And if they dont budge, try getting a fresh insurance in maybe your name. Either way you wont get a no-claim bonus so u cant LOOSE. And last resort, goto a different insurance company.

Edited by Dilesh

Normally every year most people take atlest one claim, what we do is after the policy expire we put the new policy under different person name, so every year u get the No-Claim bonus too, what i do is 1st year policy under my name, second year under my mothers name, then agian 3rd year under my name

IMO, you should be aggressive with the insurance company and refuse to pay the excess 20,000. Take a stand. And if they dont budge, try getting a fresh insurance in maybe your name. Either way you wont get a no-claim bonus so u cant LOOSE. And last resort, goto a different insurance company.

machan when u start the policy under different name ull get the no claim bonus

Normally every year most people take atlest one claim, what we do is after the policy expire we put the new policy under different person name, so every year u get the No-Claim bonus too, what i do is 1st year policy under my name, second year under my mothers name, then agian 3rd year under my name

i didnt quite get that?

can u pls elaborate?

how can u get the NCB if u insure it under a different name?

and dusnt it hav to be under the owner's name?

i didnt quite get that?

can u pls elaborate?

AFAIK the insurance need not be under the owner;s name

My wife adds a good selling price to the car, because it is doctor driven. :violent-smiley-099:

Sorry to be rude here – Can’t blame the insurance – 7 in 10 months is really height- Basically your wife has /has been the cause of the accident

Thus basically means she’s not carful – Ever thought of the damage the other person had to go through ?? ( Provided that she knocked some one else )

Well guys – Guess what ???? Doctor Owned – does not always mean a great car

i didnt quite get that?

can u pls elaborate?

My car is under my name, after i got it i insured it under my name, after one year when i had to renew i ask them for a new policy under my mothers name, cus i got a claim in the first year so if i renew i dnt get no claim, 2nd year cus im getn a new policy under my mums name we get a no claim bonus,

No it dosent has to be under the owners name,

Sorry to be rude here – Can’t blame the insurance – 7 in 10 months is really height- Basically your wife has /has been the cause of the accident

Thus basically means she’s not carful – Ever thought of the damage the other person had to go through ?? ( Provided that she knocked some one else )

Well guys – Guess what ???? Doctor Owned – does not always mean a great car

Even the 7 claims are only for minor accidents, lets say total value is 1 lack its not gud, but if get 2 big claims per year its ok ( around 2 to 4 lacks)

Sure, They'll allow you to insure the car, but you may have some complications when making a claim against the policy since you're not the registered owner.

No not at all, when u goin to take a claim, policy owner has to do all the paper work, what matter is under whos name the policy is not whos the owner is,