• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Got My Self An Off-road Camping Trailer

Duncan

Hi guys/gals

The off-roading/camping guys will like this!

My wife and I got our selves an off-road tailer and then customised it to our requirments.

We load the trailer with all our camping equipment and supplies and then tow it with either our Hilux or Pajero.

The trailer has a loading capacity of 650kg and is built for any off road abuse. It is also water and dust proof once the lids are closed.

It's list of fittings include:-

2X50L water tanks (mounted on either mud guard), 2 X 5Kg gas bottles (mounted on either side), motorised shower, top mounted 2 person tent, dedicated battery to run all electrics, DC-AC converter (for charging camera batteries and Sat Phones), S/Steel kitchen and work top, flourecent lights all round, 2 X 40L Fride/freezers, 4 X 20L Jerry cans (for extra fuel), OME Suspension and ample loading space.

Once at a camping site all we have to do is set up the trailer and then have the towing vehicle free to drive around.

The trailer is built using ultra light materials, even when fully loaded we are able to cruise at 120 - 160km/h on the tar. Once in off-road the trailer chassis and suspension is able to cope with any terrain abuse we throw at it.

dsc7531224mb.jpg

dsc7530225ug.jpg

dsc7534227rf.jpg

dsc7537223zq.jpg

dsc7538226qi.jpg

Cheers

Hey!!! nice trailer indeed!!!!!

especially the tent on top is very original!!!

did you make it or buy it?

my dad too is into camping a lot... he made himself a trailer.. pretty much the same size as yours, but no tent.. plus maybe a bit more volume since everythign is ont he inside.. no holding areas etc ont he outside.. cost him about 30K for the whole job..

will post a pic when i find one...

Hi Dilesh

The outdoor market is very big here. So all the stuff including the trailer was bought off the shelf.

It is up to the individual to pick and chose and build around his requirments.

Nice trailor, definite bragging rights for that!! One thing though, you might want to keep the wheel brace in a safer place than on the spare wheel! U never know, a cheetah or a lion might take a liking to your wheels!! :D

Duncan,

your trialer is dam cool to be used there.. but if it were to be used in SL, your camping trip wont be a lot of fun.. when you stop for a tea break on your way to yala and come back to the jeep/trailer you'll have your fuel barrels and all thigns fitted on the exterior missing :).. not to mention the sparewheel and wheel-brace

:P

Duncan,

your trialer is dam cool to be used there.. but if it were to be used in SL, your camping trip wont be a lot of fun.. when you stop for a tea break on your way to yala and come back to the jeep/trailer you'll have your fuel barrels and all thigns fitted on the exterior missing :D.. not to mention the sparewheel and wheel-brace

:D

forget the sparewheel and wheel-brace.. the entire trailer may be missing :)

nice new toy man... keep up the suprises

forget the sparewheel and wheel-brace.. the entire trailer may be missing :D

nice new toy man... keep up the suprises

Hahaha yes indeed! And I wouldn't be suprised if later on; some enterprising individual tried to sell it back to you!!

But yes, GREAT trailer Duncan!

I think the tent attachment's awesome too. Plus since it set up off the ground you'll always be reasonably dry/warm even if it suddenly rains like mad.

Duncan,

your trialer is dam cool to be used there.. but if it were to be used in SL, your camping trip wont be a lot of fun.. when you stop for a tea break on your way to yala and come back to the jeep/trailer you'll have your fuel barrels and all thigns fitted on the exterior missing :D.. not to mention the sparewheel and wheel-brace

:D

Man that's so true and funny at the same time.

Duncan, nice trailer. Bit of variation from the v-tecs and the turbo's.

:)

Thanks everyone.

My wife and I love the outdoors as much as we love our racing.

Cheers

Thanks everyone.

My wife and I love the outdoors as much as we love our racing.

Cheers

Wow...that is something dude...really really nice...if u dont mind me asking how much would that cost?? cos my famiy and relatives are quite ino the camping scene....

Hi Andrew_GTR_7007

The trailer and the accessories (selected by me) cost US$3,000.00. You can build it cheaper depending on the type of trailer, loading capacity and accessories one decides on.

South African designed and built trailers and Caravans are world famous and one of their major export markets is the US. Can get you more info if you need.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Duncan,

;)

hmmm........ all the SUVs that have spare wheels and fuel tanks outside seems to be surviving

Hi Duncan,

How much does these cost?

dude read the whole thread before you post

wow.... awesome...

how does the tent support itself after it slides out ? is it hardy enough ? doesnt the trailer go out of balance ? we got a ford trailer built in the war days of world warII... my Uncle has the jeep for it... also built for world warII... he had bought it long time back in the 70's for only 5000/=

hmmm........ all the SUVs that have spare wheels and fuel tanks outside seems to be surviving

well, machan, most sparewheels on SUVs come with locks that prevent u from removing the spare wheel without the key.....

same goes for many extra fuel tanks. though they are sometimes manually locked.. there was once a time wher epeople used bicycle locks for this... i remember seeing many a intercooler with a bright green bicycle lock on its external fuel tank.. :D

plus i dont think most of these SUVs with fancy high-rise jacks etc on the outside, are parked in dark gloomy secluded places for too long :D owners come rushing back :D