• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

D90 Or 450d

ash

Which is better??? Nikon D90 or Canon EOS 450D.

Main area of use …. Macro photography

Has anyone used either of them (Peri got a 450D I remember) How is it with Macro photography??? Sharpness and other features. pros & cons of the 2 models???

Has anyone used either of them (Peri got a 450D I remember) How is it with Macro photography??? Sharpness and other features. pros & cons of the 2 models???

canon vs nikon is a bit of a tough one to comment :) but as far as i've seen so far... sharpness has a lot do with the the lenses you use...

my 50d with the kit lens and with a L series lens are worlds apart in terms of sharpness and clarity...

tried out a buddys 70-200L and man that thing rocks :)

on topic... i'm betting Peri would recommend you the 450D :)

Body doesn't matter worth a damn in Macro, except for accuracy of focus. The D90 should be better, seeing as to how it is one grade higher than the 450D. Its also close to twice the price. The Canon that competes on that range is the 50D. I think the Nikon competitor for the 450D is the D60.

However, I am awaiting the launch of the 500D. There's gonna be a 450D on the market once that comes out :) Me likes the rumors I'm hearing.

True Macro lens tend to be expensive. (Not the third part lens with "macro ablility", proper dedicated macro lens). The excellent EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro is just $400 and the EF 100mm f2.8 macro is $490, both can be used on APS-C cameras like the 450D (~$580) and 50D (~$1200) body only. Thats probably the cheapest macro combo you can make from Canon, not counting third party lens or macro adapters. I dunno about the Nikkor macros. Thats for Dilesh.

yep, the D90 offers a LOT LOT more than the 450D simply cos its a range above the 450D.

But something i'm not quite certain about is how this 2 brands will try to rival each other's specific products.. a friend said that the 50D is in fact aiming to compete with the D300. It made sense to me since those are the best you can go for without having to go full-frame. And since the 1000D came in gives rivals to each of Nikon's DX cameras..

But back to the point if can afford it DO go for the D90 rather than the 450D.

Like peri said macro lenses are quite expensive, but if ur on a thin budget you can always use add-on macro filters. I use some (got off ebay) an my friend recently bought one off ebay too. both give decent results for the price you pay.

Guys I like to start photography as a hobby..where should I start? I mean camera, batteris and stuff.. :unsure:

At the moment I only have a nikkon 3200 and 4 sony rechargeble batteries with a charger :ninja:

Start by reading and learning how to use what you have. Once you do that, you will start realizing what you like taking pictures of most. If the gear you have prevents you from getting the pictures of what you want, how and when you want it, then you look into what you can use to upgrade your capability. Remember, a camera is just a tool - and a fool with a tool is still a fool. Gotta learn how to use it.

Start by reading and learning how to use what you have. Once you do that, you will start realizing what you like taking pictures of most. If the gear you have prevents you from getting the pictures of what you want, how and when you want it, then you look into what you can use to upgrade your capability. Remember, a camera is just a tool - and a fool with a tool is still a fool. Gotta learn how to use it.

Peri Thanx for your advise.. :)where can I get information..Google is not that mcuh of a help..most of the sites wants me to pay and join them to learn more..where can i get some good books on this subjects

Edited by tharindu6

You do what you did to learn about cars :) Join a forum! Try Flickr.

Few more

http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog...-to-photograph/

http://www.shortcourses.com/

Search youtube, plenty of free tutorials there too

Edited by Pericles

ppl me think that theres no game for the D90 with a 450d i've used both 50D from canon and the D90 frm nikon and think nikon is a bit better ... but all this depends mostly on the lens you use .... a normal 18-105 nikkor would do the trick for most of your basic photography needs but if your thinking of having a go at the pro leauge lens r a must ...

a nikkor 70-200 mm

or a nikkor 80 -400 mm

would be a good all rounder for the normal semi - pro photographer .... even these lens will hit around 200 - 300 K in SL with out tax so guess no need to talk abt much more advance lens

and as prei said this is just a tool with out proper knowhow it will be a waste of money to go for the above len's

As already pointed out here.. the camera does not necessarily matter much, its the lens which counts.

Pericles has already listed some excellent lens choices for the Canon, as for Nikon, not sure but you can always check at kenrockwell.com

Personally, I'd suggest getting the cheapest body you can get (even a 1000d) and a good lens

Most of all, remember, what matters most is skill. A good photographer can work miracles with basic cheap stuff, so I'd suggest you invest the most in learning :) see the links peri has posted.

Oh, since you mentioned Macro, may I recommend a RING LIGHT

Sorry guys… was outta country for few days.

I think I’ve put the question in the wrong manner… :action-smiley-060: posted the question on the day I left & couldn’t really checked the AL to get it sorted.

Okkk… Here I go…

My intention of the use is photographing of Gemstones. Currently I’m using a Point & shoot digital camera for the purpose. Photos I’m getting from that are not bad, but need some Photoshopping. I want to take a step further. My plan is to buy a DSLR camera with a kit lens. After getting better with the job with basic then I might consider a dedicated Macro lens. I use a light bed & a 5000k light set up to illuminate the object with a sparkling light. Later I want to custom build a better lighting set up and buy a ring sparkle light as Saturn suggested as well.

So my question is with the kit lens which is the better bet in Macro photography. I prefer live view since it’s so much easier with what I’m doing. Have read somewhere D90 live view is not as accurate as it displays. Accuracy/focus is so important in Gemstone photography since it needs to be as sharper it could be.

Appreciate your valuable input. Thanks.

I'd say forget the kit lens, and go with the 450D and EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro. The entire setup will cost you about $1000 (invest in a tripod, tho since the cam and lens are pretty light by SLR standards, you don't need a hi-fi expensive one). I doubt the D90 will offer a significant increase in quality over this combo to justify the price. The EF-S 60mm is praised in all quarters for its absolute quality output.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews...ens-Review.aspx for one.

Combined with the 10x magnification on the 450D Live View, it should be perfect for what you want.

Tell you what tho, if you want to see the results of a 450D and kit lens, I'll be happy to demo it. Then you can decide for yourself.

I'd actually think there is not much use in going for a D90, coz none of the advantages it offers over the 450D will help in that narrow field of work you want it for. There's not much use even going for the 40D. Even the 1000D might be enough once you stick on that 60mm.

Peri is right on the money. The 450D is plenty good and I would strongly recommend the same set up with the EFS 60mm f/2.8 (I use it myself)and if you want to get closer you could add the EF12 or EF25 extention tubes. Specially for product photography If you get a quality tripod and good 5400k temp lighting system (pref. with softbox) you are good to go.