• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Making A Tv Show On Automobiles

kotte mafia

people .... imagine you get a chance to do your own tv show on automobiles (bikes,boats & cars) what would you guys show and talk about in the program ....

what will be the typical layout of the program you would think & which is practial and more effective on attracting the croud (local)... what would you guys love to see in a perfect automotive Tv show

so shoot your ideas .....

Edited by kotte mafia

people .... imagine you get a chance to do your own tv show on automobiles (bikes,boats & cars) what would you guys show and talk about in the program ....

what will be the typical layout of the program you would think & which is practial and more effective on attracting the croud (local)... what would you guys love to see in a perfect automotive Tv show

so shoot your ideas .....

I'd say everything depends on your TG....or target group...

If it's "petrol heads" what you do would be quite different than if it was for your average car/bike user...

general rule of thumb would be that it should be both informative and be entertaining...

I think you can get some good ideas in these sorta things if you follow similar stuff on history channel, discovery channel etc...

even topgear is a classic example of a good balance in information and entertainment

hmmm....for me it depends whether if the show is about 2 or 4 wheels

if it's a show about cars,i'll make it a rice fiesta,you know with lotsa fibre work,spoilers,stereos and stuff....oh and some classics will make a brief appearence too... :D

if it's about bikes...it'll be all performence,like those japanese tecnical documentaries...i'm a big fan of perfo modding the bikes......and anything under 400cc is strictly prohibited.....and those "mama's boy" bikers can bugger off too...it'll all be performance,performance and more performance

i was thinking about this for quite a while

remember auto vision? that was way too clinicial but at the same time they managed to be very un-factual.

there are reasons why such shows wouldn't work in sl. for one thing we cant be critical about any of the cars. even if its a maruti we'll have to say its fantastic cos a*w will make a phone phone call next day if we did and will get you fired. (this did happen on one occasion)

the other thing is we'll need good cameramen good editing skills and awesome script writer. and at least one really really fast car to be driven around every week. since there's not much of a new car industry so we'll have to resort to stis and evo's etc etc.

the biggest problem would be the language. we can't do it in sinhala cos most importantly the terminology used for anything involving cars is pretty rubbish. and then there's a problem of using television sinhala and being able to be entertaining i.e. funny at the same time.

there should be technical segments but definitely not rice sections cos some idiot will come and say "i closed my eyes and let the design form inside my head" when its clearly straight off some fast and the furious movie <_<

after looking into all your comments ppl let me tell what i had in mind ...

1. the total program of 1hr will be spanning around one car per week and how it will drive along the countryside which it suits the most and will be covered using the most advance film equipment in the market

2. the host will be a well known racing figure in the local or may be in the international racing field who will be telling whats really under the hood and how to make a normal car to a monster and some driving tips ... :angry-smiley-048:

3. the car dealers will get a tap in the back and some bad parts about some cars will be waved off due to the sensitiveness in the market

4. local police and hospital emergency personal will be interviewed in his location as a few tips would be given out on how to drive safely and decently

5. this part i really like ..... i stole it from auto vision .. love to put a mechanic at the show in a weekly basis to explain the problems the general public face and to make the program more interactive for the public

6. goodies time ..... try to talk a sponsor for a free service to the winner who answers the weekly question.

equipment and money won't be a big problem cos we won't be doing this in SL ..... and there's no problem of bringing down hot rides to the show cos a lot of ppl are willing to bring there hot rides for a spin in front of the camera .. so if theres any bright idea please do let me know cos guess i will be the production head of this OPP....

no offence mate but that sounds boring! :)

1. the car should be tested in the environment its used. well just to make it look good that is. sportier cars can be taken to the track. people like tyre shredding action. if thats possible. basically the importers should spend some money on this cos this is would be good for their sales. filters and trick camera movements are a must.

2. having a racing driver is a good idea but i doubt everybody would wanna hear about whats under the hood. the host(s) should be very charismatic. should make even the most boring thing look exciting. and should have an idea what appeals to the audience. and a script should be written for every program

3. the dealers should have no intervention on the reviews cos its their fault if they are marketting a bad car. but we shouldnt be as critical as top gear. but rather focus on the cars flaws for the market they are being offered, like ground clearence fuel economy interior space

4. getting them to give tips sounds catastrophically boring. how about interviewing them on different matters like drunk driving, speeding, car theft on different episodes? but not repeatedly

5. letting the public call you is a problem cos that means the show will have to go live and that brings up a lot of complications. its better to get them to write about their problems and the best and most common ones can be picked out to give a solution. it could be too boring and clinical for some people. but you could probably explain how to carry out routine maintenenace

6. this would get the viewers more involved in the show. also you should let them write in with their suggestions.

i think extras should be added on random weeks. like a segment on the best driving roads, a sports personality, a quirky car of some sort with an interesting history, or some orgnisation.

most importantly you'll need to drive some really fast cars to keep the viewers interested.

thankz mate .... love to hear what all of you think ..cos people like you and me are the guys who are interested in a car show and to keep these people hooked to there seats with a low budget is the trick in this trade .... screen writing and storyboarding will be done by a professional lot but as for all of us we need some good ideas to work on so ....thankz again mate lets see how things turn out cos i don't really want to see my 1st show become a flop .... so keep the good ideas flowing and i'll keep you all posted on the logo and the name of the show if it ever makes it out from the drawing board to the big screen ...