• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Basics Of A Radiator

Fiat

Is there anyone who can give me the basics of how the water flows in a radiator?? I feel this is vital for me to resolve a heating problem with a custom built one which was made for my car to replace the old broken one.

I'd appreciate very much if someone can give me a diagram on how the water flows in a radiator from inlet to outlet and if Inlet & Outlet is seperated by a wall inside a radiator.

Thanks & Cheers!

Hello Fiat,

Nice to have another Italophile on board, :)

Sorry no diagram but I have two custom built ones on two of my old cars. And there is no issue. The secret is that the guys who built it had the old one as a sample. They told me that this is important so that they know stuff like required capacity and area etc.

What is your car? Is there another that has the original which you might be able to show the guy who built your custome made radiator?

get the widest possible element/core you can get. If you can't get wide cores, get it made with multiple rows. You basically want as much or more area in the tubes than the inlet/outlet size ... more is better 'cos you'll dissipate more heat 'cos the liquid will flow through slower.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Bu..._cooling_system

Cross_flow_radiators.gif

The custom unit you have isn't working well? Maybe there's not enough core area for the coolant to flow through. As far as I know, there' no baffles or anything within, just two tanks and the core in the middle (that is unless you purposely made a serpentine crossflow system)

Edited by MeanGreenZ28

get the widest possible element/core you can get. If you can't get wide cores, get it made with multiple rows. You basically want as much or more area in the tubes than the inlet/outlet size ... more is better 'cos you'll dissipate more heat 'cos the liquid will flow through slower.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Bu..._cooling_system

Cross_flow_radiators.gif

The custom unit you have isn't working well? Maybe there's not enough core area for the coolant to flow through. As far as I know, there' no baffles or anything within, just two tanks and the core in the middle (that is unless you purposely made a serpentine crossflow system)

Hi MeanGreen,

Thanks for the cross sections, I now have a more clear idea on the basics of how water should flow through in a radiator.

Well, the guy who made my radiator had the old radiator for cross checking, but he failed to seperate the radiator into sections so that the water would flow in a single direction! It is why my cooling system did not work out.

In my car the radiator hoses (inlet & out) is on the same side (Inlet on top & Out on the bottom) and on the tank (bottle) where you fill in the water. The way i see it water coming in from "Inlet" does not go through the "core" but to the tank and then exit to the engine from the tank it self since the tank is not seperated to route the water coming in to the radiator to pass on to the core and then back on to the tank to exit to engine from the radiator "out" which should be the correct way.. This is what i wanted to clarify guys! Thanks for the great help!

Cheers!

Bit curious,Whats the model? Topic is in MINI section.Should be able to help out.

MINIACE

Hi MiniAce,

Well my car is a Fiat Regata. I would need some directions to a good carb tuner though... Any good recomendations???

Hi MeanGreen,

Thanks for the cross sections, I now have a more clear idea on the basics of how water should flow through in a radiator.

Well, the guy who made my radiator had the old radiator for cross checking, but he failed to seperate the radiator into sections so that the water would flow in a single direction! It is why my cooling system did not work out.

In my car the radiator hoses (inlet & out) is on the same side (Inlet on top & Out on the bottom) and on the tank (bottle) where you fill in the water. The way i see it water coming in from "Inlet" does not go through the "core" but to the tank and then exit to the engine from the tank it self since the tank is not seperated to route the water coming in to the radiator to pass on to the core and then back on to the tank to exit to engine from the radiator "out" which should be the correct way.. This is what i wanted to clarify guys! Thanks for the great help!

Cheers!

awesome! glad to have helped. So now all that needs to be done is to pop that side of the tank and put a baffle in to let the coolant flow to the other side and back before flowing back into the engine.