• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Revs Up During Shifts

virensti

Question

Guys need abit of advice. Everytime I change gear, weather at low RPM or high RPM, the revs ALWAYS go up. If I shift at about 2000 rpm's from 1st to 2nd, the revs go up by about 250 rpm's. and yes my foot is completely off the accelerator. If i floor it and at about 2600 rpm's quickly release the accelerator and press the clutch pedal, the rev's jump up to about 3600 rpm's. and at 6000 rpm's if i change gear the rev's go to cut off point (6600) before i can engage the next gear. Yes people i am 100% sure my foot is completely off the acceleretor pedal. The car has done 91,000Km's and it runs on strictly 95oct petrol and mobile super s plus synthetic 10w-40 (semi synth) engine oil and K&N air filter. It has gotten a EFI tune up etc. Other than this problem, the car acceleration is really good, does 10km/l in colombo and has no problems at all. oh its 1.5E Vios by the way. I showed it to the guy at the garage that does our service and tune up etc. he said that its normal in all cars. But I know for a fact that's not true. Any idea's as to why this might be guys?

Edited by virensti

certainly its not normal thats for sure.... so the first thing u should do is reconsider going to that same mechanic......

i am sensing a vaccum leak.. might be tiny but thats what i can think of.. on engine idle if u are lucky u should be able to hear a whistiling noise.. if not u have to test for a vaccum leak..

but lets see what the other guys have to say too...

floor is urs boys....

Guys need abit of advice. Everytime I change gear, weather at low RPM or high RPM, the revs ALWAYS go up. If I shift at about 2000 rpm's from 1st to 2nd, the revs go up by about 250 rpm's. and yes my foot is completely off the accelerator. If i floor it and at about 2600 rpm's quickly release the accelerator and press the clutch pedal, the rev's jump up to about 3600 rpm's. and at 6000 rpm's if i change gear the rev's go to cut off point (6600) before i can engage the next gear. Yes people i am 100% sure my foot is completely off the acceleretor pedal. The car has done 91,000Km's and it runs on strictly 95oct petrol and mobile super s plus synthetic 10w-40 (semi synth) engine oil and K&N air filter. It has gotten a EFI tune up etc. Other than this problem, the car acceleration is really good, does 10km/l in colombo and has no problems at all. oh its 1.5E Vios by the way. I showed it to the guy at the garage that does our service and tune up etc. he said that its normal in all cars. But I know for a fact that's not true. Any idea's as to why this might be guys?

Viren, You certainly need a engine tune up. (Your Idle would have got adjusted to wrong settings) Don't worry Juz gimme a buzz if you want more help 0750-110203.

certainly its not normal thats for sure.... so the first thing u should do is reconsider going to that same mechanic......

i am sensing a vaccum leak.. might be tiny but thats what i can think of.. on engine idle if u are lucky u should be able to hear a whistiling noise.. if not u have to test for a vaccum leak..

but lets see what the other guys have to say too...

floor is urs boys....

Hmm. From where can I get a vaccum test done? On the idle the engine is very smooth and quiet. No whistling or anything. :unsure:

Viren, You certainly need a engine tune up. (Your Idle would have got adjusted to wrong settings) Don't worry Juz gimme a buzz if you want more help 0750-110203.

But machan the idle is perfect and all. 700-750 rpm (without a/c) and its damn smooth no problems. and acceleration and all is damn good (for a potty 1.5l engine) i get 0-100 in 8.9 seconds(launching at 3500rpm and controling wheel spin by from the throttle). Thanks machan I'm working at the moment. I'll call you when i'm free.

Sounds like you may need a new clutch plate/ pressure plate..

Hmm but the Clutch seems fine. I did a clutch test and all its fine. and i get 1st-2nd wheel spin as well, although this does happen only sometime. :unsure: ahh man I regret getting this car. :( It's not even economical. (ok yeah fine 10 km/l in col is not bad. but for a car thats just 1030 Kg's and being shifted at under 2500 rpm all the time) I say its poor. :angry-smiley-024:

personally i dont have an opinion on wha might be wrong but am quite interested in finding out myself....

but 10kmpl in colombo seems quite decent IMO. and you seem to like to thrash it every now and again, so you really cant complain :) and if you really want more milage the easiest think would be to switch to a smaller car like a Maruti or Kelisa. They do wonders on fuel figures, then again you wont be doing your 0-100 in 8.9 :D

personally i dont have an opinion on wha might be wrong but am quite interested in finding out myself....

but 10kmpl in colombo seems quite decent IMO. and you seem to like to thrash it every now and again, so you really cant complain :) and if you really want more milage the easiest think would be to switch to a smaller car like a Maruti or Kelisa. They do wonders on fuel figures, then again you wont be doing your 0-100 in 8.9 :D

Hehe yeah I know thats what I said. but still its rather frustrating at times. and machan the "thrashing" I do is completely off the topic of the fuel economy cause I get to take it alone so damn rarely! Otherwise with my dad He grabs the top handle and freaks out if I go past 70 km/h on 5th gear. :D lol And machan I rather prefer the lovely and more comfier ashok leyland and Tata buses on the road than those horrors!! :lol:

Looks like it is happening only once your activating the clutch ;)

lol. maybe the clutch wants to multi task. dis engage the gearbox from the engine AND rev the engine up.. ;) lol.

But out of jokes guys. Its been happening for a really long time. ( I think from the time we got the car) I'm wondering if its a throttle sensor problem? Cause I think these cars have sensors for that as well right?

But out of jokes guys. Its been happening for a really long time. ( I think from the time we got the car) I'm wondering if its a throttle sensor problem? Cause I think these cars have sensors for that as well right?

yep, mayb it engages throttle automatically, so that you get better response for the next gear, like doing Heel-and-toe down shifting lol :rolleyes:

Yep, it has a TPS, if its EFI :D

Carbon build up in throttle body?

i still say its vaccum realated or PCV valve related.. once mine did a knight rider on me.. its like picture this... u are driving with a friend chatting and crusing around 40 to 60.. suddenly without u giving any input the car starts acclerating.. and sometime decelarating on its own.. looken at the obovious and then had to replace a small plastic valve going directly to the engine head.. but it was a frightning experince.....

i still say its vaccum realated or PCV valve related.. once mine did a knight rider on me.. its like picture this... u are driving with a friend chatting and crusing around 40 to 60.. suddenly without u giving any input the car starts acclerating.. and sometime decelarating on its own.. looken at the obovious and then had to replace a small plastic valve going directly to the engine head.. but it was a frightning experince.....

:lol: Scary indeed machang....

I had this same problem with my old Corolla 2............replacing the PCV valve sorted it out.

Then again it could possibly be the clutch / pressure plate like Pila said. :unsure:

yep, mayb it engages throttle automatically, so that you get better response for the next gear, like doing Heel-and-toe down shifting lol :rolleyes:

Yep, it has a TPS, if its EFI :D

Hehe I wish it would happen when I downshift then. Cause heel-toe is impossible in this car as the wonderful brainiacs of toyota thailand fitted the accelerator a mile away from the brake !! :violent-smiley-099: I'm trying to change the accelerator pedal and get a straight one so it'll be closer to the brake. but no idea from where I can get one.

Thanks for infor and support guys. I guess i'll have to check the clutch and pressure plate. And I guess the PCV valve should be replaced as well. sigh.. ahh the woes and worries of buying a recon car. hehe

Hehe I wish it would happen when I downshift then. Cause heel-toe is impossible in this car as the wonderful brainiacs of toyota thailand fitted the accelerator a mile away from the brake !! :violent-smiley-099: I'm trying to change the accelerator pedal and get a straight one so it'll be closer to the brake. but no idea from where I can get one.

Motorcade on Brraybrook place

There used to be a G-Speed budget version as well as the full blown RAZO pedal set in blue , with an adjustable metal plates on the acelerator & brake pedals to bring them very close together

Motorcade on Brraybrook place

There used to be a G-Speed budget version as well as the full blown RAZO pedal set in blue , with an adjustable metal plates on the acelerator & brake pedals to bring them very close together

Thanks man, I've been there and I saw those blue pedals there. I think they were 4000 odd. But it still wont be enough machan, cause the accelerator is lower than the brake pedal. So thats why I wanna change the entire pedal. gimmie some idea's from where I can guys. thanks :)

sigh.. ahh the woes and worries of buying a recon car. hehe

well look at this way these woes and worries are much better compared to buying a brand new car at twice the cost and worrying about monthly leasing payments LOL

well look at this way these woes and worries are much better compared to buying a brand new car at twice the cost and worrying about monthly leasing payments LOL

Hehe true that, Unless you've won a lottery ticket and can just write a cheque up forward. ;) Or a minister/ministers son :action-smiley-060:

But machan the idle is perfect and all. 700-750 rpm (without a/c) and its damn smooth no problems. and acceleration and all is damn good (for a potty 1.5l engine) i get 0-100 in 8.9 seconds(launching at 3500rpm and controling wheel spin by from the throttle). Thanks machan I'm working at the moment. I'll call you when i'm free.

Idle for sure, u need tune up with sensor check up..... juz call when free for detailsl!!!

Idle for sure, u need tune up with sensor check up..... juz call when free for detailsl!!!

Thanks man, Can you tell me from where I can get this "sensor check up" from? I cant call you atm no credit. :D lol just tell me from please. thanks

Thanks man, Can you tell me from where I can get this "sensor check up" from? I cant call you atm no credit. :D lol just tell me from please. thanks

Bruce Motor Sports Thalahena...!!!