• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bringing A Car Or Truck(suv) From Abroad!

XAVIOR

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if i bring a car (lets say it's a 2006 model) to SL, how much Tax do i have to pay? I'm getting mixed information from every one that i know. some says its 200%, some says 300%to 400% and some people told me that if i have a NRFC account for 5 yrs, i can bring a car to SL with little TAX if not Zero tax. Is it true? or there more to it??

Plus one more question?

has anyone seen a Ford Mustangs(new model) or a F150's in SL? or an Escalade? or a charger?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if i bring a car (lets say it's a 2006 model) to SL, how much Tax do i have to pay? I'm getting mixed information from every one that i know. some says its 200%, some says 300%to 400% and some people told me that if i have a NRFC account for 5 yrs, i can bring a car to SL with little TAX if not Zero tax. Is it true? or there more to it??

Plus one more question?

has anyone seen a Ford Mustangs(new model) or a F150's in SL? or an Escalade? or a charger?

http://www.customs.gov.lk/mv.htm

the escalade, f150, H2 and cars and vans of that nature are all here to be converted from LHD to RHD. there is a plant that does it locally before being re-exported.

they are also available for local purchase if you can afford it.

Hey guys,

Plus one more question?

Machang, you have engine capacity ceilings.

Below 1000cc, below 1600cc, upto 2000cc, 2000cc and above.

If its 2006 model the depreciation would be around 77.5%.

So it all depends on what vehicle your hoping to bring down, plus if there is an agent he will need to give you the Brand new value based on your chassis number.

Also with regard to the permit, I am not sure about the NRFC account thing, as far as I know its given by the Import Controller. Go to gov.lk and under departments you will find Import Export Control website.

@ Fuzzo, its a Silverado not a Ford F series.

From what I heard, if you deposit US$50000 in a government bond for 5 years you get a duty free permit. A relative of mine has got a diesel Montero Sport for that permit, but I believe it's non transferable. Considering the fact he's only managed to get a Montero Sports I think there is a limitation of the CIF value - probably around US$18000.

If you are looking to buy a car in US to bring here eventually, you might want to consider a Jeep Wrangler or a Subaru Legacy (wagon) - both vehicles have RHD versions sold in US (for USPS) - if you check eBay or hunt around a bit you should be able to find a used one. This may be easier than buying an LHD vehicle and converting for use here

Thanks machang,

Yeah, I was thinking to bring down a Mustang(v6), Dodge Charger(since they have the RHD conv. for the 300c, It will fit the Charger too), ford F-150(Harley Davidson Ed) or Ram1500(v6). What do you mean by "Agent"? and the "brand new value"? since it's gonna be a 2006? I saw in couple of UK websites that they sell RHD full conv' sets for all these cars that I mentioned.

As for the black Escalade that some one saw in SL, that was a Show piece, It was in SL only for a month. and Shipped abroad( Don't know where).

If all goes well, you guys can see a new Mustang or Charger in SL in a yr or two. and trust me, I will be Racing.

@Saturn- Dude I Don't want to bring down a car that SL already Imports.

and @ Fuzzo- tell me more abt the plant? where is it located? what's being converted? how much is the price? Tel# ?

Thanks to all who replied!

From what I heard, if you deposit US$50000 in a government bond for 5 years you get a duty free permit. A relative of mine has got a diesel Montero Sport for that permit, but I believe it's non transferable. Considering the fact he's only managed to get a Montero Sports I think there is a limitation of the CIF value - probably around US$18000.

Max is this a new rule. first time i'm hearing this. or is this part of the 'income tax' permit???? are they only allowed to bring down brand new vehicles???

Xavior, the whole ordeal will cost over 100k USD. and now you know why no one import these cars to SL

Thanks machang,

Yeah, I was thinking to bring down a Mustang(v6), Dodge Charger(since they have the RHD conv. for the 300c, It will fit the Charger too), ford F-150(Harley Davidson Ed) or Ram1500(v6). What do you mean by "Agent"? and the "brand new value"? since it's gonna be a 2006? I saw in couple of UK websites that they sell RHD full conv' sets for all these cars that I mentioned.

As for the black Escalade that some one saw in SL, that was a Show piece, It was in SL only for a month. and Shipped abroad( Don't know where).

If all goes well, you guys can see a new Mustang or Charger in SL in a yr or two. and trust me, I will be Racing.

@Saturn- Dude I Don't want to bring down a car that SL already Imports.

and @ Fuzzo- tell me more abt the plant? where is it located? what's being converted? how much is the price? Tel# ?

Thanks to all who replied!

No offence, but stock mustangs and chargers aren't really that fast...if you're going to all the trouble of bringing down an American car why not get something more performance orientated like a Cadillac CTS-R? (or for something that will would really turn heads a Corvette Z06 or ZR1?)

Thanks machang,

Agents,

Well normally you need to pass a valuation from agent., but since there arent any agents for the vehicles you have mentioned, maybe you can give the value.

Brand New Value,

B.New value as in how much the car would have cost for agents to get it down CIF basis when it was new.

BTW, the Mustang V6 is not that expensive, is it? $20,000 sorta right? Go for the V8 and not the V6

No offence, but stock mustangs and chargers aren't really that fast...if you're going to all the trouble of bringing down an American car why not get something more performance orientated like a Cadillac CTS-R? (or for something that will would really turn heads a Corvette Z06 or ZR1?)

Talking about big American cars did any of you guys come across this article by Yahoo - Cash for Clunkers

Me thinks this will promote more imports of American big cars

Max is this a new rule. first time i'm hearing this. or is this part of the 'income tax' permit???? are they only allowed to bring down brand new vehicles???

This is different to the income tax permit. And I think you have to get a brand new vehicle.

xavior did we scare you off with the numbers mate??? your enthusiasm has faded

fuzzo is correct the Escalade is still in SL and it'll be here for good. it was converted to RHD and given as a gift to a certain individual (do i need to say more??? ;))

xavior did we scare you off with the numbers mate??? your enthusiasm has faded

fuzzo is correct the Escalade is still in SL and it'll be here for good. it was converted to RHD and given as a gift to a certain individual (do i need to say more??? ;))

That suv had to go towards greasing the democratic wheels did it huh? Hopefully the bugger wrote it off on his tax sheets as a production mule... :D Oh well, at least this particular venture is earning some foreign exchange and is keeping a bunch of Sri Lankan mechanics profitably employed...

guys, any of you gone to that SL customs website and seen the "accessories" list?

since when did "auto transmission" become an accessory to a vehicle?

now you know why automobiles are so expensive in sri lanka. contradicting the popular believe that importers are artificially inflating the market.