• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vios Cv Joints Constantly Breaking! :(

virensti

Question

Well reffering to my earlier problem with the engine rev up issue, (thanks to everyone who helped me out on that) its gonna get sorted at the end of the month, (Apparently has some blocked injectors, so the petrol sometimes goes to the piston even after the throttle valve is closed, and has a stuck VVT-I system, but Bruce Nigel's gonna sort me out on that one :D )

ANYWAYS back to the bloody CV joints!! We are on the 5th CV joint now!! both the left and right one are making the "katakata" noise now which means they're obviously gone! The boots are fine as well!! Does anyone have any idea's as to why this is happening? All the CV joints have been bought from GS auto in Rajagiriya, you think the stuff there are bad? Case I'm quite frankly getting sick of these damn CV joints!!! (5 thousand bucks per CV joint doesnt help either!!) Does anyone have any ideas as to why these might be constantly breaking? Something wrong with the suspension maybe?? And I cant afford the stuff from Toyota cause they sell the entire set (axels and the CV joints together) and that's something like 45 thousand or something!

so once again...

help!!! :unsure:

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It might just be the way you keep thrashing what is essentially a family sedan dude. Its meant to be cheap, a to b transport. Naturally you can't expect performance parts stressed to take repeated hard use to be included in it.

It might just be the way you keep thrashing what is essentially a family sedan dude. Its meant to be cheap, a to b transport. Naturally you can't expect performance parts stressed to take repeated hard use to be included in it.

dude, the last time it got "thrashed" was about 1 and a half months ago! It gets thrashed about 2% of the milage it runs. That's deffinitly not the reason, its not like I take U turns at flat out na. Na man this has something wrong with the suspension or something...

i seem to have the same problem in my vitz which is supposed to share the same cv joints as the vios. i think the problem started coupla months after i got the car. but the thing here is i am actually guilty of flooring the throttle under full lock sometimes. not sure if thats what caused it in the first place. but now i'm just beyond care <_<

i seem to have the same problem in my vitz which is supposed to share the same cv joints as the vios. i think the problem started coupla months after i got the car. but the thing here is i am actually guilty of flooring the throttle under full lock sometimes. not sure if thats what caused it in the first place. but now i'm just beyond care <_<

Hmmm this is really annoying isnt it, and what's more I dont get as to why the cv joints should break just because you floor it under full lock?!?!? The CV joints aren't there to be tenderely used and be pampered with grease every other day! Toyota once again finds a reason to piss me off! I mean come on the differential stops any over strain on the cv joints, I just dont get it. CV= Constant Velocity, its not Slow Constant Velocity... And what's more how many people must be flooring it on full lock? I'm guessing quite alot! Their CV's dont go busting up just cause of that.

Well, I've been using a Vios for 2 years now, and have not faced any CV joint problems. So it cannot be a problem generic to the Vios brand. Perhaps the CV joints you've been replacing are of inferior quality?

Edited by Az

Well, I've been using a Vios for 2 years now, and have not faced any CV joint problems. So it cannot be a problem generic to the Vios brand. Perhaps the CV joints you've been replacing are of inferior quality?

Well I really think that might be the problem, (the inferior brand) but the problem is nearly everywhere I've seen, the cv joints are the same types.. I dunno men, you wouldn't by any chance happen to know a place that sells good CV joints would you? btw is your vios a manual gear? I wanna know how the shifting is.. (e.g if shifting from 1st to 2nd is really hard) but i'm guessing you have an auto gear hehe.

Well I really think that might be the problem, (the inferior brand) but the problem is nearly everywhere I've seen, the cv joints are the same types.. I dunno men, you wouldn't by any chance happen to know a place that sells good CV joints would you? btw is your vios a manual gear? I wanna know how the shifting is.. (e.g if shifting from 1st to 2nd is really hard) but i'm guessing you have an auto gear hehe.

Is the car lowered by any chance? Or has it had front suspension repair from an accident?

Is the car lowered by any chance? Or has it had front suspension repair from an accident?

nope car is completely stock (Actually its gotten slightly higher since we put new tyres about 3 weeks ago) and well it's never even had a small accident since we got it in 07 *touchwood* unless it had a big accident when it was in singapore. but we did put new shocks at the beggining of last year and they were hard as rocks! An STi 9 was more comfortable than this lol. :blink:

i got a prob these days....with my vios

at times when the car goes into one of the many holes in cmb roads, i hear a thud from the back, not when goin over a bumb but when goin down into a ditch.

any idea wht it cud be?

fyi, i do take it to the extreme at times....

at times when the car goes into one of the many holes in cmb roads, i hear a thud from the back, not when goin over a bumb but when goin down into a ditch.

any idea wht it cud be?

probably one or both of your rear shocks bottoming out dude, but to narrow down the cause, does the thud come when the car is falling into the pot hole or when it is climbing out of it?

now, the CV joints problem..well this is unheard of before, especially in a Toyota

may I suggest you get wheel alignment checked? but then again c'mon, even if the camber or carster or tow in/out is out of alignment, should not be a cause to bust a CV joint

any idea wht it cud be?

Check the rear suspension arm bushes. I had the same problem a few week back & had to replace the bushes. It costs about 2200 per bush at Toyota Lanka.

yes, mine is an auto. I still haven't had the misfortune of having to replace a CV joint :) Anyway, it's better to get original parts from Toyota, it'll be a saving in the long run.

now, the CV joints problem..well this is unheard of before, especially in a Toyota

may I suggest you get wheel alignment checked? but then again c'mon, even if the camber or carster or tow in/out is out of alignment, should not be a cause to bust a CV joint

Wheel alignment was done when we got new tyres about 3 weeks ago.. at first we heard the noise coming from the right side joint, but during the weekend I made a U turn in palawatte and I heard the noise from both the left and right sides! I went home and checked the boots (which i've been doing since the 1 set of cv joints we put) and the boots are fine, not even a tear anywhere. and yeah I agree those shouldn't be a reason for the cv joints to go...

any idea wht it cud be?

it could be that your rear shocks are gone too, when ours were gone, there was a big thud everytime we went over pot holes, I think its cause all the gas has gone from the shock, so it cant exactly absorb any shock. But I might be completely wrong. hehe

Well reffering to my earlier problem with the engine rev up issue, (thanks to everyone who helped me out on that) its gonna get sorted at the end of the month, (Apparently has some blocked injectors, so the petrol sometimes goes to the piston even after the throttle valve is closed, and has a stuck VVT-I system, but Bruce Nigel's gonna sort me out on that one :D )

ANYWAYS back to the bloody CV joints!! We are on the 5th CV joint now!! both the left and right one are making the "katakata" noise now which means they're obviously gone! The boots are fine as well!! Does anyone have any idea's as to why this is happening? All the CV joints have been bought from GS auto in Rajagiriya, you think the stuff there are bad? Case I'm quite frankly getting sick of these damn CV joints!!! (5 thousand bucks per CV joint doesnt help either!!) Does anyone have any ideas as to why these might be constantly breaking? Something wrong with the suspension maybe?? And I cant afford the stuff from Toyota cause they sell the entire set (axels and the CV joints together) and that's something like 45 thousand or something!

so once again...

help!!! :unsure:

Hey. it's most likely that you're using a bad brand. 5k per piece is pretty cheap.!

any idea wht it cud be?

To tell you NPP, i am also getting the same problem in my vios. Its just comming once in a while, from rear wheel right side. During my last service, we checked the shocks, nothing wrong with them.

Hey. it's most likely that you're using a bad brand. 5k per piece is pretty cheap.!

Exactly. I bought one for 10k for my FB15 last year at panchikawatte. Obviously Vios parts are way expensive than FB15. So one CV joint will deffa cost you more than 10K.

I owned a Vios for more than a year in Thailand and also never had or heard about CV joint problems. It is not a common problem with Vios at all.

Exactly. I bought one for 10k for my FB15 last year at panchikawatte. Obviously Vios parts are way expensive than FB15. So one CV joint will deffa cost you more than 10K.

I owned a Vios for more than a year in Thailand and also never had or heard about CV joint problems. It is not a common problem with Vios at all.

Wow okay, from where in Panchikawatta? as in do you know the name of the shop?? I dont mind spending if that's going to be IT!! And does anyone know from where I can get a TPS (Throttle postion sensor) for the vios? Thanks.

I am duly shocked and gonna leave it for Nilantha to explain these complaints about Toyota's...

Hahahaa! i was thinking the same thing and was wondering where Nilantha was.....

<<Theme song for sumerman starts playing softly>>

Look! its a bird! its a plane! NO its Nilantha in a Corolla!

oh no, its just a regular corolla...

Edited by Dilesh

Wow okay, from where in Panchikawatta? as in do you know the name of the shop?? I dont mind spending if that's going to be IT!! And does anyone know from where I can get a TPS (Throttle postion sensor) for the vios? Thanks.

New Regent Motors. 214B Panchi.

If you have already changed 5CV joints, I feel some this terribly wrong some where. My toyota corolla is been with us for almost 10 - 12 years so far. Not a single problem occured in this nature.

Isn't this typr of problem occurs when you have issues in wheel allignment also? when you increase your spead and wheel spinning at a rate small allignment issue can cause huge damge some times. So why don't you check it also before go in to another expensive set of CV joints.

If you have already changed 5CV joints, I feel some this terribly wrong some where. My toyota corolla is been with us for almost 10 - 12 years so far. Not a single problem occured in this nature.

Isn't this typr of problem occurs when you have issues in wheel allignment also? when you increase your spead and wheel spinning at a rate small allignment issue can cause huge damge some times. So why don't you check it also before go in to another expensive set of CV joints.

Oh crap sorry I meant 3 CV joints! not 5! sorry :action-smiley-060: But even 3 is alot cause the current pair are gone as well. sigh. The wheel alignment is fine machan, we got new michelins from D*MO's about 3 weeks ago and they did the alignment there. So I doubt that's the reason... unless, MAYBE the alignment was very poor before we got the new tyres, so maybe that MIGHT've cause some damage... :unsure:

Hi mate...Its sad to hear the situ.

Normally the boot cracks / tears leads to CVJ failures or fair wear and tear .But your case is different since you replaced them very short period of time and boots were good.

Did you feel clunks during acceleration?

Did you replace the CVJ only? How about the condition of axel?

Did you use the same make CVJ and the same mechanic for the job?

Inproper torque on the strut bolts lead to pre-mature failures., abuse of the hammer on the axle nut ruins many. In a case of reuseing the axle it is always recommended to use a puller when needed and only few gentle hammer taps.This many average mechanics not aware.These damages cannot be judged by the naked eye sometimes.

Change the CVJ make and the place used for the job next time.

Take your car to a qualified mechanic/engineer.

If need to know where I replace my CVJs (with total trust)..just PM me.I've Done it more than dozen times,never repeated in one vehicle.

Good Luck!

MINIACE