• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Speed & Rpm

HR71

Question

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know how the vehicle speed and RPM are related with the engine capacity. I have driven a 1100cc car at 120kmph with the RPM going up to 4500. In this run I got fuel efficiency of 9.5kmpl. I am interested in knowing, that if I had a bigger engine say like a Rav4 1900cc, what would be the fuel consumption and RPM going at 120kmph or so?

Just trying to see if it would be more economical to buy a RAV4 in long distance driving..... Please give me some real good information. Has anyone driven a 4X4 at these speeds and noted the RPM???

Thanks...

Edited by HR71

3 answers to this question

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know how the vehicle speed and RPM are related with the engine capacity. I have driven a 1100cc car at 120kmph with the RPM going up to 4500. In this run I got fuel efficiency of 9.5kmpl. I am interested in knowing, that if I had a bigger engine say like a Rav4 1900cc, what would be the fuel consumption and RPM going at 120kmph or so?

Just trying to see if it would be more economical to buy a RAV4 in long distance driving..... Please give me some real good information. Has anyone driven a 4X4 at these speeds and noted the RPM???

Thanks...

RPM and speed rarely have anything to do with each other. RPM is the amount of Revolutions in a minute the engine turns at. The speed is the distance your vehicle is covering in a certain amount of time. Rpm's are dependent on the Gear your on. the 1100cc car you drove upto 120 may have been at 4500. but which gear was it on? If it was a manual 5 speed gearbox, maybe on 4th it would've been at 4500 rpm but on 5th it would've been lower, maybe about 3800 rpm. It all varies on the gears. even in an auto gear it depends on which gear your on.

To get maximum fuel efficiency out of any vehicle, you should get to the top gear/ overdrive (in autos) as soon as possible without letting the engine RPM's get up too high. A rav4 may have a 1.9 engine, but it all depends on the gearbox ratios. I'm guessing a rav4 on O/D or topgear at 120 will be about 3500 RPM or so. I dunno about the fuel efficiency though. So if your gonna be at a uniform/constant speed of 120 for a long long time, i'm pretty sure a 1.5 engine will do much better than a 1.9 engine. But it all depends on your driving style and the vehicle weight etc.

I'll shut up now and let the experts give the proper details. :)

Edited by virensti

just do d below: if you want to see how economical your car can ever be ;) always change when d RPM come to 2-3 if its a AUTO push d accelerator up to that limit of 2-3 RPM and slowly take it upwards, so that the gear will be automatically shifted to the next.. when i'm quite lazy - i drive in this mode, and the fuel economy that you get is amazing..

virensti - is correct, you can get a idea of the fuel consumption from d RPM level your mostly on, more higher more waste, lesser means highly fuel efficient. but then if your got a bigger engine, in d usual case the RPM levels would be higher anyways.so 1.5 for a sedan and a 1 for a hatch would b enough if you want power and fuel efficiency at the same time of the run.

Hey Guys,

Thanks...

No one answrered the question correctly. Dont have to dig deeper to answer this question.

Yes machan,Let’s assume you are driving a 1100cc car at 120Kmph speed and you are on 5th gear (manual T) AND your RPM is 4500.

BUT, when you are driving a 2000cc car on 5th gear at the same speed, your RMP would not reach a higher figure as that. But RAV4 (specially the older model) is not a good option for good fuel consumption.