• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diesel Mixing Into Engine Oil?

HardHat

Question

guys, I was was getting a lube change done in my Mitsu SpaceGear (4D56 Turbo) and the guy told me that the oil just removed had a bit of Diesel smell. I do regularly check all fluid levels and have not noticed any rise in engine oil.

if there actually is a leak of fuel into engine oil, where can that be occuring?

10 answers to this question

guys, I was was getting a lube change done in my Mitsu SpaceGear (4D56 Turbo) and the guy told me that the oil just removed had a bit of Diesel smell. I do regularly check all fluid levels and have not noticed any rise in engine oil.

if there actually is a leak of fuel into engine oil, where can that be occuring?

same happened in my j44 with 4dr5 and there's a topic i openned just 2 weeks back. It happened after an engine overhaul and noticed in the second service after the repair. Dismantled the engine and pump to find out the seal in the hand pump damaged which causes the mix. As a result of reduced viscocity 3rd piston and rings got damaged. Check the d values in the pump.

same happened in my j44 with 4dr5 and there's a topic i openned just 2 weeks back. It happened after an engine overhaul and noticed in the second service after the repair. Dismantled the engine and pump to find out the seal in the hand pump damaged which causes the mix. As a result of reduced viscocity 3rd piston and rings got damaged. Check the d values in the pump.

The same thing can happen if the injection nozzles are not atomizing the spray. The bleeding of diesel drip down to sump. This is a very serious issue. If bleeding occurs oil level must rise. But, if the amount of bleed equal to burnt engine oil volume you will not get any increase. Caltex (at Kollupitiya) are doing lubricant tests if you wish to confirm the mix of oil you can give a sample to them. :rolleyes:

The same thing can happen if the injection nozzles are not atomizing the spray. The bleeding of diesel drip down to sump. This is a very serious issue. If bleeding occurs oil level must rise. But, if the amount of bleed equal to burnt engine oil volume you will not get any increase. Caltex (at Kollupitiya) are doing lubricant tests if you wish to confirm the mix of oil you can give a sample to them. :rolleyes:

true, quite possible. And test benching the pump together with injectors will help to see whether its d values or injectors or any other seal in the pump.

thanks for all the responses guys - now I have a clue on where to start the troubleshoot

ironically, I've also got a full engine overhaul done back in january, where the pump also was benched and serviced and injector nozzles were replaced with new as well

thanks for all the responses guys - now I have a clue on where to start the troubleshoot

ironically, I've also got a full engine overhaul done back in january, where the pump also was benched and serviced and injector nozzles were replaced with new as well

from where you got the pump repair done? get hold of the guy who did the pump ... I did and after the 'fix' problem became worst and 1st and 4th cylinders gave up .. eventually had to change the pump guy and now I believe it's in good hands. Today I'm suppose to get the pump back from the 2nd place not to mention the wasted amount of money and time.

the engine job was done at a garage in Kohuwala, small place but the owner / head mechanic who is a German tech guy himself gets his hands on the job so the work appeared to be neat. Same place which the prev owner of the van had got repairs done for years so they knew the machine in and out

they've sent the pump off to a place which they subcontract regualrly, I've got to to see the bills to get the name of the place.

to be honest I don't exactly know whether there is a problem so will start with testing the oil at that Caltex facility at Kollupitiya. Otherwise after the overhalul the engine starts with 1/4 turn everytime and runs great. Just completed 1000km after the job

I'm away again so it will be around Oct when I'll be able to check this out.

BTW, the van remains parked for 2-3 months at a time and can this be degrading the Diesel and have any affect on the pump, seals, nozzles, etc?

Edited by HardHat