• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diesel Car - Is It A Good Buy

TharakaWi

Hi guys,

I am considering buying a diesel car. I was looking at toyota CE110 , bluebird and SB14

But most ppl i know advise me not to go for diesel cars. They say tht Toyota CE 110 needs a complete engine-overhaul after 100,000 kms and say that i have to be really carefull in buying. Is this true? hav no idea about SB14 though. Any ideas abt SB14 and Bluebird?

Is maintaining a diesel car horribly expensive (compared to petrol one)? Do you guys recommend?

Hi guys,

I am considering buying a diesel car. I was looking at toyota CE110 , bluebird and SB14

But most ppl i know advise me not to go for diesel cars. They say tht Toyota CE 110 needs a complete engine-overhaul after 100,000 kms and say that i have to be really carefull in buying. Is this true? hav no idea about SB14 though. Any ideas abt SB14 and Bluebird?

Is maintaining a diesel car horribly expensive (compared to petrol one)? Do you guys recommend?

Well my mom's car is a CE110 Sprinter. A very reliable ol' gal she is too. The car I mean :D 217,000 km on the clock with one engine re-build at 180,000 km and she is still going strong. Absolutely no under-compression or any sort of problems. You see, it all depends on your luck at finding a properly maintained diesel car and then taking care of it. If I were you I would do a re-build as soon as I buy one so at least I'm sure of my engine. Any car would start giving you problems if you don't maintain her properly. Quite an economical car too. Full tank of premium diesel (40l) gives me a mileage of about 600 km = 15 km/l. I run a K&N cone type filter as well.

A good buy if you manage to find one in good order. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks STiB4... It was v.helpful. I guess you are talking in the range of 1-2 lakhs when u mean an engine overhaul ;)

problems usually depend on the way the vehicle was used and maintained... a badly looked after / abused petrol car is no better than a diesel, in my experiences..

..and I wouldn't rush into an overhaul, unless I really really have to... it has a probability to give post overhaul issues.. besides, if there's no issue, why try fixing in the first place :)

Petrol and Diesel vehicles of same class usually don't have major differences in maintanance costs... this again based on my experiences...

As for SB14 and Bluebird, assuming U mean the U14, both have same engines and are fairly economical...

CE 110 and the Gallant are great options to consider as well...

Good luck with the search :)

whats wrong with a mitsubishi galant?

thirsty yet powerfull. But in sl market its not holding a good second hand value coz of expensive spares and issues with GDI

about sb 14 cars are notorious about engine over heating issues and various engine related issues. I know couple of my friends had SB14s and both were complaining about fuel efficiency and engine issues. One of them kept about 5 -6 mega bottles filled with water in the back seat if he's going to Kandy. It is no where closer to sb13 in terms of reliability and fuel efficiency.

Edited by harshansenadhir

One of my friends got a CE110 Manufactured in 1997. the engine require a complete overhaul, but he went for a Engine Swap than Overhaul. got good engine from Kurunegala. instead of 2C engine he fixed 3C-E EFI diesel engine. it's seems economical than 2C. some of the Late Corollas (Year 1999-1998) cars came with 3C-E engine. Model code for those i think CE113. have seen so many 4WD (CE114) models but it's good to stay away from them because of lack of spares for suspension, Clutch and low in fuel figures too. (CE114 is a full time 4WD)

Edited by Ruslan

Diesal cars???? HELL NO!!!!

talking based on bad experience or diesel phobia? Both my family and i had about 6 diesel vehicles and we didn't have issues to avoid diesels as such. In diesels its easy to diagnose if engine gives up or hicks up. But if a petrol gives up there are hundreds things to check. It could be worst if its with a carb.

talking based on bad experience or diesel phobia? Both my family and i had about 6 diesel vehicles and we didn't have issues to avoid diesels as such. In diesels its easy to diagnose if engine gives up or hicks up. But if a petrol gives up there are hundreds things to check. It could be worst if its with a carb.

I fully agree with you mate. Diesel engines are more reliable as they have only one circuit (ie. the fuel supply line). But gasolene engines contain two circuites (ie. fuel supply line and ignition). So, if either of them breakes can not start. I always prefer diesel as if problem arises diagnosis is more simpler, If diesel comes it should start and it will run untill the last drop of fuel. I was also looking for a Diesel 110 few weeks back but finally I bought a Diesel corona primio as it contains all the options including crystal lights, Rpm and retract mirrors. But friend finding a carefully used diesel 110 is very very difficult :unsure: