• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Reset My Ecu

Chris0628

How do i reset the ECU of a 2000 Civic Ex ?

To reset the ECU you simply have to unplug the negative battery cable connection. Theoretically it is best to leave it in this disconnected condition for as long as you can. Practically leaving it disconnected overnight is more than enough.

After having left the cable disconnected for sufficient time you have to connect back the cable. Start the car and keep it running so that it warms up. Once you have done this you have accomplished the ECU resetting. Shut off the engine.

http://www.hondaclub.com/forum/articles/20...erformance.html

What abt doing it @ home ???

Do you mean disconnecting the battery terminals and leave it over night? I don't think this will reset the ECU for all the cars. But still you can try it as there is no harm trying this.

To reset the ECU you simply have to unplug the negative battery cable connection. Theoretically it is best to leave it in this disconnected condition for as long as you can. Practically leaving it disconnected overnight is more than enough.

After having left the cable disconnected for sufficient time you have to connect back the cable. Start the car and keep it running so that it warms up. Once you have done this you have accomplished the ECU resetting. Shut off the engine.

http://www.hondaclub.com/forum/articles/20...erformance.html

I heard from my friend, this process wont work properly. Is this true machan ? I mean is there any error code, have to reset manual ne.

Edited by Prami

I heard from my friend, this process wont work properly. Is this true machan ? I mean is there any error code, have to reset manual ne.

this is the way we reset our ECU's machan, when we do a single mod we do it, it worked for us very well, and no machan no CEL or error code

Agreed with gihan however would like to add one point, after disconnecting your battery its better if you can press your break pedal couple of time ( so that if the sytem has any power left it will be gone once the break lights work :rolleyes: this i saw in the net and dunno how far its true )

once you start your engine do not throttle a loot and let it run idel for some time and then for couple of KM drive at a modarate ( during this time your ECU will remap automatically)

all the best :)

Agreed with gihan however would like to add one point, after disconnecting your battery its better if you can press your break pedal couple of time ( so that if the sytem has any power left it will be gone once the break lights work :rolleyes: this i saw in the net and dunno how far its true )

once you start your engine do not throttle a loot and let it run idel for some time and then for couple of KM drive at a modarate ( during this time your ECU will remap automatically)

all the best :)

+1

yeah its better to press the brake pedal, they say when u start the car wait till fans turn on then switch off and switch on the engine, after that take it for a drive

Hi... tks for the replies... i'm planning to do the ECU reset this weekend..... i have a fuel efficiency issue also... do u think resetting will fix the issue ???

by the way... i have done all the tune-up, cleaning, changing....etc :-) ... agent said the Fuel Injectors are opened for too long ... ( 3.4ms instead of around 2.6ms )..... will a ECU reset fix it ?

Hi... tks for the replies... i'm planning to do the ECU reset this weekend..... i have a fuel efficiency issue also... do u think resetting will fix the issue ???

by the way... i have done all the tune-up, cleaning, changing....etc :-) ... agent said the Fuel Injectors are opened for too long ... ( 3.4ms instead of around 2.6ms )..... will a ECU reset fix it ?

Resetting your ECU will not fix any fuel injection issues that you may have. Your car will run rough for a bit until the computer 're-learns' the proper parameters but it will be back to where you are right now. Have you checked your O2 sensors to make sure that they are functioning properly and the ECU is getting the correct signal? Your car will run on open loop at idle and full throttle. Everything in between will be run in closed loop, which means your ECU need to get the right signals, particularly from your O2 sensors to make the proper air fuel ratio adjustments. Given that your injectors are open for longer, based on your information above, leads me to think that the computer is 'thinking' that the air fuel ratio is off and trying to compensate for it by adding more fuel. This information is taken directly from your O2 sensors.

Resetting your ECU will not fix any fuel injection issues that you may have. Your car will run rough for a bit until the computer 're-learns' the proper parameters but it will be back to where you are right now. Have you checked your O2 sensors to make sure that they are functioning properly and the ECU is getting the correct signal? Your car will run on open loop at idle and full throttle. Everything in between will be run in closed loop, which means your ECU need to get the right signals, particularly from your O2 sensors to make the proper air fuel ratio adjustments. Given that your injectors are open for longer, based on your information above, leads me to think that the computer is 'thinking' that the air fuel ratio is off and trying to compensate for it by adding more fuel. This information is taken directly from your O2 sensors.

OK... that's great news... @ least i;m now getting somewhere with this issue..... where can i get the sensor checked... cos the agent hasn't been much of a help......

OK... that's great news... @ least i;m now getting somewhere with this issue..... where can i get the sensor checked... cos the agent hasn't been much of a help......

O2 sensor can be tested by an obd2 based scan tool and I hope that Scan tools are available with many experts in the trade including Agents.

Actually if it is faulty MIL indicator should come up and there should be some fault code related to O2 sensor and scan tool won't be necessary.

I have got my O2 sensor tested by a scan tool from a professional and he confirmed that my O2 sensor is operating within the parameters.But he wanted to compare the readings with another car (same model) with a good sensor to confirm the condition of the sensor.So I have understood that when the sensor is weak it is very tricky to identify because most of the scan tools cannot see the difference between a good one and a weak one.A weak O2 sensor can be the reason for low fuel consumption and some times you only have to replace the sensor to identify the fault and O2 sensors are expensive too.

By monitoring the sine wave out put of O2 sensors using some scanners it is possible to see the difference of the sine wave ( distorted wave form)generate from a bad sensor when comparing with a another car with a known good sensor.So still I am not sure about the O2 sensor of my es5 and still waiting to know the reason for low fuel consumption.

Hi,

well guys... mine is a EK3 (Exi) so it doesn't come with a )2 sensor in the exhaust... it was confirmed by Stafford, Upul & Rohan.... finally i met up with Rohan, who was recommended by RACERSEDGE... he did some checking & tuning .... now my car is doing 8.5.... gonna run it for a while & see if there will be more improvement.......

Hi,

well guys... mine is a EK3 (Exi) so it doesn't come with a )2 sensor in the exhaust... it was confirmed by Stafford, Upul & Rohan.... finally i met up with Rohan, who was recommended by RACERSEDGE... he did some checking & tuning .... now my car is doing 8.5.... gonna run it for a while & see if there will be more improvement.......

can you PM the details of rohan.Thanks.