• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Red And Blue Flickering Strobe Lights

xstreme911

Hi. Have seen lots of cars on the roads today with police-style flickering red and blue LED lights on the front grille or windscreen.

These lights are what undercover police cars use in the western world - they are installed inside a standard car and when the need arises you flick the switch and you have the flashing red and blue lights. It allows cars in front of you to have high visibility of your car and move out of the way - very effective for night time driving and very hard to see that these lights are installed in these cars based on just a casual inspection (unless the lights are switched on of course!)

Since the lights are flickering and so bright, apart from the fact that most other cars move out of your way - it gives people high visibility of your car so even when driving out of town at night it alerts people on the road to your presence and so they (esp. pedestrians and cyclists) will move out of the way and therefore it will reduce chances of fatal accidents too.

Is this illegal?

Are you allowed to import these lights?

What about those with sirens (with a different wailing tune in comparison to what the local emergency services use)?

What would happen if the cops happened to stop you while you were driving around with these lights flashing - would the excuse that "so many cars, jeeps, buses, 3 wheelers etc have these lights on all the time so why can't I" work?

Your views / opinions will be appreciated.

The most annoying I've come across are:

- Ultrabright flashing multi colour LEDs pointed straight at the face of the driver behind them

- Flashing red/yellow/green/blue strobe type lights, once again flashing in your face, mostly when the brake pedal is pressed (distracting the driver behind you at a most critical time)

- Those who make up for their under developed manhood by switching on every single light on the front of their car thus blinding oncoming traffic (they're called fog lights for a reason you idiots), sometimes using them alone and no headlamps.

- The ass hats who fit red bulbs in the front park lights (I hope a large Tata lorry collides with you head on on a dark road thus removing you from the gene pool and proving Mr. Darwin correct once again)

A cop won't stop you for the above though because:

1) His knowledge of traffic law is sketchy at best

2) There is the possibility of getting into a long drawn argument with the driver about 1)

3) He's not paid enough to explore the extent of 2)

Edited by terrabytetango

A cop won't stop you for the above though because:

1) His knowledge of traffic law is sketchy at best

2) There is the possibility of getting into a long drawn argument with the driver about 1)

3) He's not paid enough to explore the extent of 2)

That's not necessarily true. About a month ago late on a Friday night some idiot in a Subaru Legacy with those flashing strobe lights almost hit me when overtaking on the wrong side of Duplication road (not one way part), only to race right into the outstretched arms of some traffic cops :D When I passed by half an hour later, the car was still there, with the police still staring at the front windscreen and talking to the owner who was on his cellphone.

Whatever the outcome is, don't be sure that the cops will do nothing when you're so blindingly stupid. And to the OP, you aren't asking this because you're considering employing these devices are you? And a siren?? No offense, but what makes you or anyone who decides to use any of these more important than anyone else on the road that they need to use strobe lights and sirens? It's nothing but a distraction to everyone else on the road.

Orly? Well that is a first. It must've been more for his reckless maneuvering rather than the strobe that got him stopped. I've seen people in Col 3 and 4 get stopped for being retarded. I suppose it's a beginning, but forgive me for still being skeptical of our Police force's policing aptitude. A fluke will always occur, when it starts becoming regular is when they're actually doing their job. Kinda like Sanath and his recent batting performance vs the good old days.

To SeanD - Not planning on using them at all - just wondering about the legality of it..............

I've seen so many vehicles on our roads with these lights etc. and was wondering if there is actually a law against it or what?

As for the sirens - every 3 wheeler and some buses have them - and although you know that it's not an emergency services vehicle behind you it sounds similar enough to distract you for a while!

So I wanted to know how these people get these things into the country in the first place - is it by hand carrying them when flying into SL? If so if it's so illegal won't they be stopped at customs?

And once they've got them in here is there not a law in place that will allow the cops to fine them?

One with basic electronic knowledge and soldering skills can make a siren quite easily. Emergency vehicles these days use electronic sound modulation rather than the old school Klaxon style motor driven impellers.

Those are required, IMO. Pedestrians and motorcycles simply refuse to get out of the way. And there are those bright sparks who are compelled to ride the lane dividing lines, and flashing your lights from behind does nothing, you have to lean on your horn.