• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Grounding Wire Kit For 1nz And 2nz Engined Cars.

JadeyBlitzen

Hi

I found this great write up on how to build your own grounding wire kit http://scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10785.

and after many weeks of daydreaming i finally installed it on my vitz today.

first of all here's a list of cars it's compatible with (courtesy of wiki)

* Scion xA/Toyota ist

* Scion xB/Toyota bB

* Toyota Vios

* Toyota Raum

* Toyota Porte

* Toyota Platz

* Toyota Auris

* Toyota Fun Cargo

* Toyota Premio

* Toyota Allion

* Toyota Sienta

* Toyota WiLL

* Toyota Probox

* Toyota Ractis

* Toyota Corolla

* Toyota Corolla Axio

* Toyota Corolla Fielder

* Toyota Corolla RunX

* Toyota Corolla Allex

* Toyota Yaris/Echo/Vitz

Please make sure your car comes with a 1NZ or a 2NZ engine even if its listed here, as some of these models come with other engine combinations.

The tutorial was for cars with NCP model numbers. other cars would might need longer wires. so its better to take a piece of string and measure the lengths before you start cutting the wires.

Here's how i did it.

I couldn't find the right type of wire so i went for one of the thickest wires i could find. I think it was 16 mil and that's actually closer to 4 gauge wires than 8. I bought it from a shop in pettah and it cost me 930 rupees for 2.5 m of wires and 8 lugs. i just followed the tutorial cos the xa has a similar chassis to mine. but if you are not to sure about the distance between the mount points use the string method. and leave about 2" of slack and another 2" for cutting mistakes.

The mounting part was the trickiest. thats where using such thick wires really started to bother me. it wasn't just about the limited flexibility of wires but also the thickness of the lugs. especially when connecting it to the coil packs. the bolt doesn't go that deep and with 2 really thick lugs it'll only be halfway in. be careful when you tighten this bolt as the soft aluminium threads will get easily ripped out.

The route of the wires is not important. there are many openings on the side of the engine cover so run it through them in the least uncluttered manner. also be careful when flexing the wires after the lugs are mounted. cos if you havent crimped them properly they might get pulled off.

anyway, read the whole thread i posted if you are seriously planning to try this.

344dyz5.jpg

2wf1sw9.jpg

What i experienced...

as soon as i turned the key the radio seemed a lot louder. and it seemed to be a lot crisper at higher volumes. the headlights also seemed brighter, but i'm not entirely sure about that one.

when i started the engine it idled below 1000rpm even though it was a cold start. as it reached the operating temp the revs dropped down to around 600 rpm. thats definitely lower than it was before the installation.

however the digital fuel gauge was fluctuating at a bit. i'll report on that after i've taken it out for a ride. right now it's a bit wet outside so maybe i can try it out tomorrow :D i'm expecting quicker throttle response better shifting and even lower revs at idle.

Anyways a bit OT, always have wondered, is the Scion Tc, US equivalant for the Vios? But it is a coupe :D

no. the tc is an entirely different model and its unique to scion

I was wondering why this is not factory fitted? What are the advantages of installing a grounding wire kit/How does it work?

From where in Pettah did you buy this, and what is the type of wire you asked for?

Sorry for asking too many questions :)

I think you'll find a pretty convincing answer if you went through the whole thread. all i know is all the electrical bits are grounded to the body in a pretty reasonable way. this just stablises the current a little more. and i'm no electrician.

I bought it from a shop called central elecricals or something.

I too have done the same thing - Got the wires from Pet#o - basically high gain amplifier wire would be sufficient - .

Got a detiled diagram but was not sucesful in uploading the DOC file - pls let me know if you want - I can mail it

Edited by mazdaspeed

Great piece of information jadey. Having plans to do the same on 406 but haven't done yet due to the complexity and one more worry. That is what if all equipments are designed considering the voltage drop due to the resistance of the body ®? Then by having separate grounding wires we're overloading equipments isn't it?

Great piece of information jadey. Having plans to do the same on 406 but haven't done yet due to the complexity and one more worry. That is what if all equipments are designed considering the voltage drop due to the resistance of the body ®? Then by having separate grounding wires we're overloading equipments isn't it?

that does explain the brighter headlamps and the louder stereo. anyways I'm a terrible electronics student so i really havent got a proper explanation about the after effects. but with so many companies fitting these kits and so many people fitting them to their cars I havent heard of any serious effects. or maybe its because the sort of cars these devices are fitted don't last that long or don't stay with one owner for long periods of time. Either way the main reason why i fitted this kit was because i wanted extra throttle response. and if one fears that this kit might have an adverse effect on the electrics a swtich can be fitted so that you can close the circuit when needed.

Would advise a bit of caution on the 406 ... it's notorious for extra sensitive and fragile electricals.

For example on BMWs the ECU even measures the resistance of the wiring and would start throwing fault codes if it got any 'Non Standard' readings. Peugeot may have the same issues.

PS: Thanks for the Great Share and Post JadeyBlitzen .... I'm gonna try this out on the Corolla.....!

Edited by nira74

that does explain the brighter headlamps and the louder stereo. anyways I'm a terrible electronics student so i really havent got a proper explanation about the after effects. but with so many companies fitting these kits and so many people fitting them to their cars I havent heard of any serious effects. or maybe its because the sort of cars these devices are fitted don't last that long or don't stay with one owner for long periods of time. Either way the main reason why i fitted this kit was because i wanted extra throttle response. and if one fears that this kit might have an adverse effect on the electrics a swtich can be fitted so that you can close the circuit when needed.

my car was not charging and I went to several electrical guys all of them repaired alternator, stareter motor etc but nothing worked. Finally a smart guy in Yakkala found out engine earth was oxidized and after cleaning the chaging voltage boosted from 11.90-12.20 to 13.2-13.30. Now I realized the importance of the earth and planning to introduce additional set of earth cables to body and to engine both :rolleyes: