• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

5.1 Surround Headphones For Gaming?

Ripper

hello fellow gamers and audiophiles...

as some of you know, i play a fair bit 360 games on and off and like many, do like my sound :)

sadly with the baby coming into the picture and neighbors getting a tad pissed at the volume i play some fps games... it has become increasingly difficult to play games with my usual rig of speakers...

so for the past couple of months...i've been using an altec lansing stereo headphone with a long ass cable coupled with my 360.

though there's some bass, most the thump is now non-existent...

....or to be short and to the point...the headphones suck! they just let me play games when under "non-headphones conditions" i would never be able to, but that's about it..

the whole sound experience is gone...

after months of suffering i ran an SOS search on google and to much delight...i'm not the only one with the said problem :)

there seems to be many companies making 5.1 surround headphones that can connect to the 360 optical output to give you surround sound...

or at least that's what they claim...

now my question is... does anybody here use headphones with their consoles or pc's???

any first hand experience with surround sound headphones?

I'm not too optimistic that a headphone can give you true surround sound and decent bass...especially when i some games having surround sound is to your advantage and not having that can be a bit of a bummer...

appreciate any input...

these fancy schmanzy headphones cost quite a bit so i don't want to pull the trigger and end up with some piece of junk that's only good in reviews

hmm...donk know about surround sound bro...but i have two sennheiser and behringer headphones i plug in to the tv itself...ok sound...

anyways you should checkout swedish trading audio visual pvt ltd near the vihara mahadevi park,thats where i bought both of mine,they should have those optical thingies.

swedish trading audio visual pvt ltd

108,dharmaraja mawatha,col 7.

2699934-5

ground floor of the red cross building.

hey ripper u might wanna check this out

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping.../center_tiles/1

:)

not sure if its meant for gaming though

ahem... that's way off my budget m8 :D

if i had that kinda cash for a headset, i would by a ps3 also and somehow suffer with my mid-tier altec lansing headphones machang :)

but thanks for the link...

hmm...donk know about surround sound bro...but i have two sennheiser and behringer headphones i plug in to the tv itself...ok sound...

anyways you should checkout swedish trading audio visual pvt ltd near the vihara mahadevi park,thats where i bought both of mine,they should have those optical thingies.

swedish trading audio visual pvt ltd

108,dharmaraja mawatha,col 7.

2699934-5

ground floor of the red cross building.

mate those two brands are huge names is pro audio circuits... aka sound studios :)

i bet they perform far better than "ok sound" :P

checked a few of those on ebay and even there the high end stuff are quite pricey!

i was mainly looking forward for the surround sound thing cos that really adds to the whole gaming experience a helluva lot..

will check with the swedish folks :)

mate those two brands are huge names is pro audio circuits... aka sound studios :)

i bet they perform far better than "ok sound" :P

checked a few of those on ebay and even there the high end stuff are quite pricey!

i was mainly looking forward for the surround sound thing cos that really adds to the whole gaming experience a helluva lot..

will check with the swedish folks :)

heehee...i bought the cheapst models bro

Sennheiser HD205 7500/-

Behringer HPM1000 3500/-

not exactly cheap but,i dont like to play gta4 out loud when my folks are near by...them liberty city people are all very foul mouthed...lol

Edited by MasterDon

heehee...i bought the cheapst models bro

Sennheiser HD205 7500/-

Behringer HPM1000 3500/-

not exactly cheap but,i dont like to play gta4 out loud when my folks are near by...them liberty city people are all very foul mouthed...lol

oh yeah... gta4 has used language quite "appropriately" within the context of the game :P

i too don't play it too loud for obvious reasons :) and to me it's not one of those games where you need heavy sounds..

things like cod, gears of war, gt, forza etc would suck without good sound

so for the past couple of months...i've been using an altec lansing stereo headphone with a long ass cable coupled with my 360.

though there's some bass, most the thump is now non-existent...

....or to be short and to the point...the headphones suck!

now my question is... does anybody here use headphones with their consoles or pc's???

i find my self VERY disappointed with the Aletec Lansing speakers on my laptop :(

i listen to a fair bit of smooth jazz and all the little expressions seem to just get lost when playing it off of those :angry:

& as such went out and invested in a set of Sennheiser PX 100

I had a set of JVC wireless headphones earlier but they were far too bulky and in our weather wearing full enclosed headphones for prolonged periods of time becomes an issue.. & then there was the weight.. <_<

The Sennheiser's where ideal cuz i was looking for something nice and light that wouldn't squish my ears or head whilst still offering good sound quality for reasonable money

its got some fairly good reviews http://www.audioreview.com/cat/headphones-...18_2750crx.aspx

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sennhei...7-30235779.html

for an entry unit its more than satisfactory

cost about 30 pounds if i recall right

the fact that they fold away to be taken on the go is rather handy as well

an year on, they're still kicking :) & thats with DAILY use - plugging in and pulling out!

but having said all of that i dunno if they'll work for gaming use - haven't really tried cuz all i play is Rugby 08 on the laptop! :lol:

ahem... that's way off my budget m8 :D

if i had that kinda cash for a headset, i would by a ps3 also and somehow suffer with my mid-tier altec lansing headphones machang :)

but thanks for the link...

whoopsy..! my plan was to make u buy it and have a listen to it! :P

Do checkout the Bose headphones at Seidles if happen to pass that way, im sure you will be in for a good deal.

i find my self VERY disappointed with the Aletec Lansing speakers on my laptop :(

i listen to a fair bit of smooth jazz and all the little expressions seem to just get lost when playing it off of those :angry:

& as such went out and invested in a set of Sennheiser PX 100

I had a set of JVC wireless headphones earlier but they were far too bulky and in our weather wearing full enclosed headphones for prolonged periods of time becomes an issue.. & then there was the weight.. <_<

The Sennheiser's where ideal cuz i was looking for something nice and light that wouldn't squish my ears or head whilst still offering good sound quality for reasonable money

yeah the px series are excellent but mainly for portable use ne...for gaming you need somthing dishes out the bass...imo the best for gaming are wired supra-aural(closed cup) headphones...sennheiser HD series is the best at this,bose and sony are ok but cant even touch the senn.

5.1 head phones....... :o :o

how can someone assemble 2 rear speakes 2 front speakers 1 center speaker and a sub in to such a small head phone?

most of these headphones and 4 speakers per side mate! you since it's pumping into each of your ears...you don't need 5.1 per ear...

just 5.1 for both ears and then only the whole "surround" effect comes through...

some reviews online claim it can be better that the usual 5.1 systems since those have to positioned properly around you and these just work from get go..

the only issues i have is bass delivery since most small size speakers can't move enough air to give you a good thump...

most of these headphones and 4 speakers per side mate! you since it's pumping into each of your ears...you don't need 5.1 per ear...

just 5.1 for both ears and then only the whole "surround" effect comes through...

some reviews online claim it can be better that the usual 5.1 systems since those have to positioned properly around you and these just work from get go..

the only issues i have is bass delivery since most small size speakers can't move enough air to give you a good thump...

thank you for the infor machan.....

wat about a bose 7.1???

thumping and bumping...

• 2 weeks later...
Try the Stanton... there was a place in MC that had these. But they went bust. Try the HiFi place on Galle road, next to Standard Chartered.

thanks guys!

guess the headphones will have to wait... thought of batting on with my present altec lansing ones after some epoxeing...

gonna use the funds and buy Forza 3 :)

it looks bloody awesome! and 400 odd cars with a GTR also in the mix :D :D

thanks guys!

guess the headphones will have to wait... thought of batting on with my present altec lansing ones after some epoxeing...

gonna use the funds and buy Forza 3 :)

it looks bloody awesome! and 400 odd cars with a GTR also in the mix :D :D

Do let me know how that is mate. One of my mates got it for his 360, gonna play it on sunday! He said it's awesome! :D :D :D

Do let me know how that is mate. One of my mates got it for his 360, gonna play it on sunday! He said it's awesome! :D :D :D

yeah raving reviews all around... some had given it a perfect 10 :rolleyes:

almost US$54 from playasia with shipping to SL...

price tag is the only negative :(

gonna pull the trigger on it in a lil while...aint it a great thing that wives don't read up AL :D

yeah raving reviews all around... some had given it a perfect 10 :rolleyes:

almost US$54 from playasia with shipping to SL...

price tag is the only negative :(

gonna pull the trigger on it in a lil while...aint it a great thing that wives don't read up AL :D

wow 54? That's alot of moola.. Specially cause my friend got it for just 1000 bucks or less.. :blink: Your 360 ain't modified for copies? :unsure:

wow 54? That's alot of moola.. Specially cause my friend got it for just 1000 bucks or less.. :blink: Your 360 ain't modified for copies? :unsure:

nah mate... want to keep the online play option open cos modding the firmware might get you banned from xbox live... :(

high price to pay for that though :(

i think the game is available for downloading in most popular torrent sites... for those with modded boxes

nah mate... want to keep the online play option open cos modding the firmware might get you banned from xbox live... :(

high price to pay for that though :(

i think the game is available for downloading in most popular torrent sites... for those with modded boxes

Oh okay.. I played it y'day.. Not that impressed with the graphics.. Quite dissapointed actually. And inside the car, the driver doesn't change gears (hand doesn't move to the stick) and even full turn is like 20 degree's either side. No cutting angle higher. :(:angry: Very disapointing.. But the split screen is alot of fun, and the car choice is super! Drove a countach and a Diablo along with other cars! :D So that made it worthwhile.. :rolleyes: But other than that.. :unsure::angry:

Oh okay.. I played it y'day.. Not that impressed with the graphics.. Quite dissapointed actually. And inside the car, the driver doesn't change gears (hand doesn't move to the stick) and even full turn is like 20 degree's either side. No cutting angle higher. :(:angry: Very disapointing.. But the split screen is alot of fun, and the car choice is super! Drove a countach and a Diablo along with other cars! :D So that made it worthwhile.. :rolleyes: But other than that.. :unsure::angry:

oh crap!!!for my 54 dollars sake, i hope you're wrong :(

oh crap!!!for my 54 dollars sake, i hope you're wrong :(

Gulp! I'm sorry mate! But I think it's got an interesting career :) Btw you need a harddisk to play it apparently, :unsure: cause its 2 cd game.. Well that's what my friend said, he can't get the bonus cars or summin summin without a HD. .. :unsure: