• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Independant Suspension

LRDefender

Guys.........can any one please tell me if any of the numerous SUVs in our country use individual suspension apart from toyota harrier and hummer H3. And if possible, can any of them be used for serious off roading????? :action-smiley-060:

SUV's with independent suspension.... (I'm leaving out the Soft Roaders like the harrier, Rav4, Freelander, X-Trail, Rexton [not sure about the others], Cherokee [not the grand], Outlander, BMW X3, Sorento, Sportage, Santa Fe, Tuscan, New Vitara and such)

1. Mitsubishi Montero which came with english numbers I dont know the series

2. Land Rover Discovery3, Range Rover and Range Rover Sport

3. BMW X5

4. Audi Q7

5. Merc GL, ML

6.original Hummer (the H1) I dont think the others have independent at rear as they're based on trucks

Popular belief is if you have coil springs allround it is independent but its not so, for example the Patrol's, Prado's and LC Sahara's have coil springs allround but they run on live beam axles which doesnt make them independent.

Cons of independent suspension on SUV's it hampers the axle travel and can act independently and will not be able to travel on most terrain vehicles with live beam axles tread. Dont know about the Hummer but the most successful independent suspension SUV for me is the Disco3 with its cross linked air suspension system that gives much better wheel travel.

Guys.........can any one please tell me if any of the numerous SUVs in our country use individual suspension apart from toyota harrier and hummer H3. And if possible, can any of them be used for serious off roading????? :action-smiley-060:

suv's aren't for serious off roading though they can be used for some sort of hard terrain. However honda suvs and rav4, montero are independent sus to my knowledge.

Just to add to the list, the Land Cruiser 100 and 101 (not 105, which is really a 100 body on an 80 chassis) series, 90 series Prado and some of the post 2002 70 series have IFS (independent front suspension).

Edited by terrabytetango