• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Women In Motor Racing

Devinda_Z

Good find Machan! 663102049_ShirleyMuldowneyStanding.jpg

thanks dude!

i saw a documentary about her in the fox history channel,thats why i knew her,she's one of the pioneers of american women's racing,and one helluva tough broad...you need to be to drive them top fuel dragsters i guess

here's what she looks like now...didnt add this earlier coz i feared it would upset the flow of the thread...lol...but she was a hot babe in her prime.

hrdp090426zshirleymuldo.jpg

Natacha Gachnang (born October 27, 1987 in Vevey, Switzerland) is a Swiss race driver and the cousin of Formula One driver Sébastien Buemi.

On 17 December 2008, it was announced she will be the first female to drive in the new Formula One feeder series FIA Formula Two Championship.

Natacha is Toro Rosso F1 driver Sebastien Buemi's cousin.

Don't forget Lella Lombardi who is the only woman to have scored points in F1, albeit half a point because the race was red-flagged before the scheduled finish. She was in 6th place at the time.

Danica never missed an opportunity to attack Milka Duno and in the past has severely pissed Sarah Fisher off too with her comments. It's always nice to see Danica throwing a tantrum and marching upto the male drivers to read them the riot act. It's even funnier to see the pitlane security guys trying to stop her. Great stuff. :)

• 11 years later...
On 10/23/2009 at 10:31 PM, virensti said:

Nice one mate. Here's my favourite of them all. I think she's a goddess for the way she can drive around that amazing track!

Sabine Schmitz

http://www.telegraph.wisecodes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/FastestWomen_240809.jpg

Sabine Schmitz

Sabine, in 2007.

Born 14 May 1969 (1969-05-14) (age 40)

Adenau, Germany

Other name(s) Sabine Reck

Occupation Racing driver,

Television personality

Official website

Sabine Schmitz (Sabine Reck while married; born 14 May 1969), is a German former professional motor racing driver for BMW, now known for driving the BMW "Ring taxi" around the Nürburgring race track as well as being a television personality.

Contents [hide]

1 Biography

1.1 Nürburgring

1.2 Television career

2 Race results

3 References

4 External links

4.1 Video footage

[edit] Biography

Born to the local hotel and restaurant owning Schmitz family, Sabine and her two elder sisters grew up in the "Hotel am Tiergarten" (in the basement of which is the Pistenklause restaurant) in Nürburg within the Nürburgring Nordschleife.[1]

Sabine trained as Hotelfachfrau and Sommelière. During her marriage to a hotelier she lived in Pulheim, but after her divorce in 2000, up until 2003, she owned a bar-restaurant in Nürburg named the Fuchsröhre (Foxhole) after a track section. In 2004[citation needed] she qualified as a helicopter pilot[2].

Following occasional drives with the family car on the Nordschleife, all three sisters started racing, but only Sabine continued and collected victories. Sabine won in CHC and VLN race events, the VLN endurance racing championship in 1998, and is the first woman to win a major 24h race, the 24 Hours Nürburgring, in 1996 and 1997, all with a BMW M3 entered and co-driven by local veteran Johannes Scheid. In 2006 Sabine and Klaus Abbelen drove the #97 Porsche 997 in the Nürburgring VLN endurance racing series, entered by Land Motorsport. They finished a strong third in the 24h 2008, beaten only by the factory-backed Manthey-entered winners of 2007 and 2006.

[edit] Nürburgring

Sabine came to mass public attention driving one of the two BMW M5 "Ring taxi" around the 20.8 km long race track in an entertaining manner.

According to her own estimates, Sabine has gone around the track more than 20,000 times, increasing by approximately 1200 per year. Her familiarity with the circuit earned her the nicknames "Queen of the Nürburgring" and "the fastest taxi driver in the world". She says her favourite parts of the track are Schwedenkreuz and Fuchsrohre.[3]

Claudia Hürtgen is her main rival, winning the championship in 2006, and scoring pole and victory in the third VLN race of 2008, with a BMW Z4.

Her company, Nürburgring-based Sabine Schmitz Motorsport, offers advanced driver training and a "Ring Taxi" service for passengers.

[edit] Television career

As a result of her popularity as "the fastest taxi driver in the world", Sabine became an occasional motorsport guest commentator, known for her gleefully dry descriptions of driving incidents. Since September 2006, Sabine has co-hosted a motoring show on German television, D Motor on the DMAX TV channel. In each show, Sabine takes on another challenge, for example Sabine in a Ferrari 360 vs. a 1200hp Race Truck, or Sabine in a Formula Renault race car vs. a race sidecar.

In December 2004, Schmitz gained recognition in the United Kingdom after appearing in the BBC television show Top Gear with presenter Jeremy Clarkson. On her only attempt, using the same car, she beat his best lap time of 9 minutes 59 seconds in a Jaguar S-Type diesel by 47 seconds (Season 5, Episode 5), having castigated his best lap with the comment "I tell you something, I could do that lap time in a van".

Thus, in her second appearance on Top Gear, she actually drove a Ford Transit van in an attempt to beat Clarkson's time set in the Jaguar S-Type diesel. Her final time with the Transit stripped (hub caps, spare tyre, toolkit and Richard Hammond removed, and they also drove a Dodge Viper in front to help slipstream or draft the aerodynamically challenged van) was 10 minutes and 8 seconds (Season 6, Episode 7). When trying to film Schmitz, the team couldn't keep up so they used Jaguar test driver Wolfgang Schubauer to drive the Jaguar S-Type R chase car[4].

Her third appearance was at the 2005 Top Gear Awards to collect the award for 'Best German' (Season 7, Episode 6).

In 2007, she appeared in Clarkson's Supercar Showdown DVD where she raced an Audi R8 against The Stig in a Porsche 911 GT3.

Schmitz also appeared in the sixth episode of the Top Gear's 11th series, in a competition between the German motoring show she co-presents, and the British Top Gear team. Both groups engaged each other in a series of challenges, in which Schmitz's main role came in the double decker car race. She and one of her co-presenters beat Jeremy Clarkson and his co-driver, Kiff, to win the event. The overall result was a win for the Top Gear team.

[edit] Race results

24 Hours Nürburgring: Overall winner in 1996 and 1997 (BMW), third in 2008 (Porsche)

Source : <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz</a>

Well, RIP Sabine :(

• Sad 1

Members,

In Sri Lanka we had one Mis. Athapthtu later she was Mrs. Amarasekara who was in Motor racing I think she is not in this Paradise world.

If I remember there was few more lady's also used to do motor racing.

There was one Rally driver to my knowledge who took part in Reliability Trials in 1970 or 1980. I remember her name do not want to state in this Forum

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.