• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw M3 Or Mercedes C55 Amg?

madmax

Question

Hi Guys,

If you were to pick between an BMW M3 (E46 model) or a Mercedes C55 AMG (W203 model) which one would you pick considering it will be a daily driver plus a family car. C55 comes in automatic only and the M3 picked will be one with SMG.

• Answers 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Nopes, I whimped out and bought an Altima instead :( Your search for an M3 has been a real eye opener though: I didn't know you could lay hands on a 2005 M3 for 20k or there abouts...Really always wanted to have an M3 but the way I figured it a decent one would set me back at least 40k+ . Not sure how you're getting it for 20-30k but hey man, show me how its done! Perhaps when you're done with it and are ready to upgrade I might be able to buy it off you :D

Im not talking about an 05. You can get an 05 C55 for 20k. But an 03 M3 cost almost the same. You can't expect very low mileage at that price though. Best bet is to find something that's been well maintained.

madmax,

im in chi man...ull get a better deal if u look in a bigger city...are u lookin in cinci or in some bigger city?? good luck man...only a 5 hr drive to chicago to find ur ride..i went on autotrader.com....

good luck mate.........BTW get an SUV i hate driving a car in the snow...i m lookin in to the FJ cruiser.....hate all this snow

I've been looking all way around. From Chicago down to FL and PA, NY. I bought my first SUV last year and figured out it just wasn't for me. And I don't drive a lot. Just a mile or two to college. So the car should be alright. If it doesn't work out I'll buy a winter beater for about 1000 bucks.

Im not talking about an 05. You can get an 05 C55 for 20k. But an 03 M3 cost almost the same. You can't expect very low mileage at that price though. Best bet is to find something that's been well maintained.

Just looked it up on Autotrader, you're right. But its about 2-5k higher where I live and I pay more taxes so things would top out at around 25k-30k. Thats not too bad; despite it being out of my budget range for this year, its certainly food for thought. The main issue with buying a high milage exotic as I see it is the maintenance. You're certainly right about picking a well maintained car though, pick a lemon and that's an another 2-3 grand easy....

Are you buying from a dealer?

Edited by Kavvz

Are you buying from a dealer?

No. Dealers keep a good 3-4k markup on the cars, by doing nothing more than some detailing. I made that mistake on the 325xi I had. You buy from a private owner with good maintenance history and you have some extra bucks left just in case an unexpected repair hits you. Like DHP on the forum said these cars car do nearly 200k miles without a motor rebuild if properly maintained.

No. Dealers keep a good 3-4k markup on the cars, by doing nothing more than some detailing. I made that mistake on the 325xi I had. You buy from a private owner with good maintenance history and you have some extra bucks left just in case an unexpected repair hits you. Like DHP on the forum said these cars car do nearly 200k miles without a motor rebuild if properly maintained.

So you're telling me that the 325xi would have only cost you 12k on the road price inclusive of taxes??! No kidding?!? But then again the dealers do toss in a warranty covering the drive train and engine etc.

Edited by Kavvz

So you're telling me that the 325xi would have only cost you 12k on the road price inclusive of taxes??! No kidding?!? But then again the dealers do toss in a warranty covering the drive train and engine etc.

If it's CPO they offer warranty on it. But otherwise they try to SELL you a 3rd party warranty for an additional cost - which a lot of good reviews will tell you is a waist of money. These americans have a thing about buying extended warranty on just about anything!

Yep, if you check KBB, NADA or Edmunds, private party value is always about 2k-3k less than dealer price and the trade in is even less. I had to learn it the hard way.

Edited by madmax

If it's CPO they offer warranty on it. But otherwise they try to SELL you a 3rd party warranty for an additional cost - which a lot of good reviews will tell you is a waist of money. These americans have a thing about buying extended warranty on just about anything!

lolz. You and me both then! The current wheels came with the rest of the manufacturer's warranty and an additional three year extended warranty :D And I'm a sucker for those warranties on electronics too. (Did you get one for the 40D / 50D ?)

lolz. You and me both then! The current wheels came with the rest of the manufacturer's warranty and an additional three year extended warranty :D And I'm a sucker for those warranties on electronics too. (Did you get one for the 40D / 50D ?)

Hell no! I never get those extended warranties.

Hey I'm thinking of adding more choices to the list and looking for you thoughts - Anyone have reviews/comments on the Infinity G35? I would love to pick up a 350z, you could get a decent one in the high teens, but its a two seater. So that leaves the option of the G35 which apparently shares the same engine but has 4 seats...

Ideas from the Nissan boys?

wanna put my 2 cents here.......my buddy got a 2007 infiniti G35 for $25k with 40k miles 2 weeks ago . i test drove it did a 65 on a 45 zone without even noticing. nice car traction kicks in nicely in the snow but i hate that shit and tunred it off for the RWD fun...i think its a nice car has all u need in a luxury coupe and love the BOSE sound...get it...350z is known to have (older ones) alignment problems where u get uneven tread wastage in ur front axle.....know a guy who sued nissan for this and got his money back..its ur call i like the G but get it stick..

Good luck

No idea about the Seden. You could ask Ajit tho. Its the same as the V35 Skyline, right? Tho his is a 250GT not the 3.5l.

I saw a test on BMI with the G35 Coupe. Held its own against competition like the Z. Not quite up to it, but didn't shame itself.

PS, that engine goes into the Murano too. Tuned for less top end hp but more low end torque. Look it up and see.

Edited by Pericles

No idea about the Seden. You could ask Ajit tho. Its the same as the V35 Skyline, right? Tho his is a 250GT not the 3.5l.

I saw a test on BMI with the G35 Coupe. Held its own against competition like the Z. Not quite up to it, but didn't shame itself.

PS, that engine goes into the Murano too. Tuned for less top end hp but more low end torque. Look it up and see.

BMI put it against the 350z and M3. M3 came first G35 second and 350z last. Strange considering the g35 and 350z sharing the same motor and the G35 being heavier. That point me back at the M3... Damn!

What about adding an Evo VIII, Evo IX to this list? I no it's not in the same league as the C55 or the M3, but just considering that option too. In fact went to see an Evo 8 yesterday. It's got a dealer installed performance kit from a local company called Buschar Racing, claiming 350 BHP and does not void the warranty

Edited by madmax

Buschur Racing is good... didnt think mitsubishi would allow mods from them and still keep the warranty... make sure again! have 3 friends here with evo 8's and 9's and have mods from Buschur and can vouch for the quality... dont forget its easy to get 350 BHP from a few simple mods here in the u.s so make sure u understand what performace kit has been added to the car... either way i love evo's and thats the next step for me when i get bored with the SRT4... cheers!

Buschur Racing is good... didnt think mitsubishi would allow mods from them and still keep the warranty... make sure again! have 3 friends here with evo 8's and 9's and have mods from Buschur and can vouch for the quality... dont forget its easy to get 350 BHP from a few simple mods here in the u.s so make sure u understand what performace kit has been added to the car... either way i love evo's and thats the next step for me when i get bored with the SRT4... cheers!

The Buschur 350 kit was added to the new cars through the a dealership here in OH, and they still honor the warranty. The kit consist of larger intercooler, stainless piping, and exhaust, nothing more. Damn the Evo's have no cruise control

What about adding an Evo VIII, Evo IX to this list? I no it's not in the same league as the C55 or the M3, but just considering that option too. In fact went to see an Evo 8 yesterday. It's got a dealer installed performance kit from a local company called Buschar Racing, claiming 350 BHP and does not void the warranty

Following your heart again? ;)

The Buschur 350 kit was added to the new cars through the a dealership here in OH, and they still honor the warranty. The kit consist of larger intercooler, stainless piping, and exhaust, nothing more. Damn the Evo's have no cruise control

I am positively scandalized! Cruise control?!? Whaddaheck is the matter with you!? I swear, the Americans are making you soft. I have this vision of you coming back here having forgotten how to drive a stick shift! Gah!! :action-smiley-060:

Madmax, why not add a Audi 2003-2004 S4 in to the mix, (I believe the RS4 is above budget). A solid Luxury sedan with good built quality and most importantly performance. 344 bhp, It's quicker than a standard sti8 (UK spec) in a sraight line as i recall. you can get your cruise control as well! It's good to have a Evo as a second car, not as a daily runner if you get my drift :-) (dude you don't want to be branded as the bloke with a midlife crisis..kidding!)

Edited by Overdrive

Madmax, why not add a Audi 2003-2004 S4 in to the mix, (I believe the RS4 is above budget). A solid Luxury sedan with good built quality and most importantly performance. 344 bhp, It's quicker than a standard sti8 (UK spec) in a sraight line as i recall. you can get your cruise control as well! It's good to have a Evo as a second car, not as a daily runner if you get my drift :-) (dude you don't want to be branded as the bloke with a midlife crisis..kidding!)

Yes the RS4 was outta the budget. But I couldn't find the higher specs S4s