• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw M3 Or Mercedes C55 Amg?

madmax

Question

Hi Guys,

If you were to pick between an BMW M3 (E46 model) or a Mercedes C55 AMG (W203 model) which one would you pick considering it will be a daily driver plus a family car. C55 comes in automatic only and the M3 picked will be one with SMG.

• Answers 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi Guys,

If you were to pick between an BMW M3 (E46 model) or a Mercedes C55 AMG (W203 model) which one would you pick considering it will be a daily driver plus a family car. C55 comes in automatic only and the M3 picked will be one with SMG.

Auto mag wisdom has it that the SMG gearbox is nowhere near as good as the Manual. At the time the E46 was being made BMW had not yet mastered the concept of SMG transmissions and it apparently shows pretty badly with jerky shifts, a crappy auto mode and sometimes gearbox issues. Fixing costs are supposed to be somewhat higher as well if something does go wrong.

Also the C55 is a four door so it will add to the practicality aspect since it will be a family car. The bonkers C class is no slower than the BM, is said to be nearly as involving to drive, and can play the refined exec cruiser role rather better when necessary. So overall I'd say pick the C class, mostly because the SMG box is a compromise solution on the BM, and it's NOT a good compromise.

Can I just add, You Lucky Bastard! :P

Hi Guys,

If I had the kinda money u have to buy a car I wouldnt go round asking people whot is best..rather would just go around and bought which I simple wanted..I am sure u dont have any problem maintaining either if you could afford to buy any of these 2! And am sure u will only visit the agents ..for repairs..and most hpefully U could hapily afford it!

If I had the kinda money u have to buy a car I wouldnt go round asking people whot is best..rather would just go around and bought which I simple wanted..I am sure u dont have any problem maintaining either if you could afford to buy any of these 2! And am sure u will only visit the agents ..for repairs..and most hpefully U could hapily afford it!

You crazy? I'm not buying a brand new one. It'll cost less than a Corolla 121 back home...

Hi Guys,

M3! ... haven't you looked at the new Stang or the Camaro or a used Vette?.. Saw em in action back in Texas this summer and most are cheaper than an unreg Corolla's in SL!!..

M3! ... haven't you looked at the new Stang or the Camaro or a used Vette?.. Saw em in action back in Texas this summer and most are cheaper than an unreg Corolla's in SL!!..

Let me see....used M3 or a Mustang :hah: tough CHOICE !!! Dude, seriously? You want Madmax to buy a Mustang??!! :blink:

Family car remeber - so the Vette is out. The new Camaro top of the range hasn't dropped yet to be within budget. Just the Mustang wouldn't do. They are just shit. I did look around for a Shelby GT 500, but once again beyond the budget. That said the American muscle cars will loose their value more compared to the two German cars.

Looks like this one's a tie so far - 4 each

Edited by madmax

Looks like this one's a tie so far - 4 each

Let me help tip the scale and vote for a Mercedes. As much as i prefer not to go with Jeremy Clarkson's 'opinions', i have to agree with him the M3 is more or less a showpeice now. C55 would have more class and elegance in it, and you wont look like a c##k in shades and a hands-free kit, unnecessarily reving his engine at the traffic lights.

Plus the 4 doors makes it easy to get the toddler-seat in, yes? :)

After driving quite a few of lesser models from the two brands, even if I've not driven these very models of either, it's possible to guess the to a certain extent what they might feel like. At least I think so.....

So I would go for the M3!

madmax,

i found C55 AMG under $23k here in the midwest which is a great deal in this economy, i guess the M3 would be much more than that. being a 4 door V8 i would definetely go for the mercedes....M3 is not bad either.........just a thought 32k miles for $23k cant beat that...

madmax,

i found C55 AMG under $23k here in the midwest which is a great deal in this economy, i guess the M3 would be much more than that. being a 4 door V8 i would definetely go for the mercedes....M3 is not bad either.........just a thought 32k miles for $23k cant beat that...

Where are you based? I probably looked at the same car! Just negotiating one with 32K miles on it down to $20k - one owner car still under warranty.

Edited by madmax