• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Starter Motor Runs Continuously

harshansenadhir

Question

Jeep has developed a new issue after getting it on the road after staying few months in the paint shop. Starter motor sometimes runs continuously even after releasing of the ignition key from starting position. Only way to stop it is either disconnect battery cables or tap on the place where solonoid switch fits starter motor. Very hard to find this model of starter motor or solonoid switch as this engine is the first series of 4dr5 engine aka 50A engine, which has a normal motor where new series has gear motor. I took the starter motor to three qualified electricians in jeep community and repaired the solonoid switch twice with replacing contact points and dial plate. Has any of you guys encountered this issue and is there any recommendations? Electricians ?

9 answers to this question

Jeep has developed a new issue after getting it on the road after staying few months in the paint shop. Starter motor sometimes runs continuously even after releasing of the ignition key from starting position. Only way to stop it is either disconnect battery cables or tap on the place where solonoid switch fits starter motor. Very hard to find this model of starter motor or solonoid switch as this engine is the first series of 4dr5 engine aka 50A engine, which has a normal motor where new series has gear motor. I took the starter motor to three qualified electricians in jeep community and repaired the solonoid switch twice with replacing contact points and dial plate. Has any of you guys encountered this issue and is there any recommendations? Electricians ?

Not sure of his name, but the Electrician who is near the Kalubowila Hospital seems to be the only guy who performs miracles on SMs. He id down that road right opposite the hospital. Nihal, or Nimal or ranjith. Not sure.

We have had this issue in our 4DR5 many times. I think we had to replace the motor brushes or something like that. Take it to an electrician, wasn't a big deal as I remember ;)

definitely not brushes coz if brushes weak, motor will run slowly or not run at all. However i overhauled the motor with brushes and all bearings using original stuff. This is either solonoid switch or something to with the lever that pulls the starter motor wheel.

definitely not brushes coz if brushes weak, motor will run slowly or not run at all. However i overhauled the motor with brushes and all bearings using original stuff. This is either solonoid switch or something to with the lever that pulls the starter motor wheel.

hmm. I can't remember what's the issue, but am the one who took it to the electrician lol, bad memory :D

Yeah it's a stuck solenoid. Happened to one of our work vans some months back and the battery ran down in minutes (driver was completely unaware of the issues, motor had fried a winding in the process).

This happened to my 4DR5 once. I found that the nut which the battery wire connects to the motor was having a loose connection. So I just tight it .. (not me.. by an electrician.) Be careful. Overrunning the starter motor may damage itself.

Not sure of his name, but the Electrician who is near the Kalubowila Hospital seems to be the only guy who performs miracles on SMs. He id down that road right opposite the hospital. Nihal, or Nimal or ranjith. Not sure.

you are talking about the guy in the temple road right.. wickrama... opposite the hospital..