• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Windscreen Repairs

GTAm

Question

Does anyone out there know of a place that can repair tiny cracks on a windscreen and also remove scrape marks? I know these are done in other countries. I knew a place in Colpetty many years ago but can't seem to remember where exactly it was. It was an old house.......

recently a Bullet proof glass was done on a BMW which took 6(SIX) days more than 40 Hours.

it's great that you have all the know how and the equipment to offer a services like this..especially since it's not a service that you get everywhere in a country like SL.

An expensive polish/repair job would make more sense on a situ like the one you've stated here. getting a bulletproof glass as a replacement isn't easy and costs too must be quite high.

but the bottom line is at least in VVTI's case...he managed to find a solution to his problem that's far cheaper than the one you offered him

your side of the story is full understood and i don't think anyone is dissing that...

at the same time...VVTI too has a very valid point as far as i can see...

I think it's better to lay the issue to rest and we all move on

there are enough and more material in this thread already for anybody to get a good idea about this whole process...

small job - DIY seems to be cost effective and practical. I have driven VVTI's car and at the time there were no issues with his windshield. At least i didn't spot any

somewhat bigger job with possible glass filling needed and deeper scratches etc... you seem to offer quite a good service but at a price due to reasons stated by you

All list members.

Please note My Machine is the only exclusive Polisher machine Which uses Vacuum to hold on to the glass surface and cool water running through out the polishing process this will not leave any ripples. This Machine is made in USA.

Polishing compound imported from USA what I use 1 Kg Cost all inclusive is more than Rupees10000.00. Can do only 3 Windshield glasses from 1 Kg of Powder.

Polishing Pad cost Rupees:- 25000.00 10 to 15 Windshield Glasses can do from 1 pad depending the glass area and number of hours of working.

So far all other machines in Srilanka are Angle grinders fitted with a polishing pads.

Using Angle Grinder Polishing Glasses leave ripples on the Glass.

Time taken to do a top surface Polish of W/G is more than 6 hours if wiper scratches are there some times it takes 10 to 12 hours recently a Bullet proof glass was done on a BMW which took 6(SIX) days more than 40 Hours.

Two workers are necessary for a single Polish

Wijesinghe.

Sounds fair enough to me.

can someone tell me a place to buy Silvo?

Looking all over the supermarkets and hardware shops

Sir,

Braso or Silvo both are similar polishing agents some Spray painters after painting I know use said compounds to do the final polishing of the painted area any one of the above two compounds.

I remember there was a Spray painter in Puttlam in late 1960. I think he is no more in this paradise island was the most expensive painter in that town he never polish after painting a vehicle he gets his customer to visit him after 7 days to do the final cut and polish he never used cloth to apply compound he always use his bare hands two palms and apply compound powder mixed with Braso on to the newly painted area and does the final polish.

When ever any one comes to me regarding Windshield polishing I always educate the owner of the Vehicle what is necessary to polish I give three options like half windshield glass,Full windshield glass,Driving area. Please note driving area means the area which helps to get front vision only. This area is the most critical area when we are driving it is oval shape area about 12 inches by 9 inches on the driving side of the windshield.

My machine rotates at with out load around 5000 to 5500 RPM depending the input voltage. When the machine is in operation with polishing pad with the load on the windshield glass this RPM will come down by 10 to 15% depending on the pad load spring the machine operator decides the pad spring load according to the windshield.

I always educate the customer about my service and telephone reputed new windshield glass dealers and find out the cost of new one and let the customer decide to get the polish done or go in for a new replacement.

Please note one above member had mentioned I had used a materiel like braso in my work shop for polishing glasses.

I never use materials available in the Srilanka market AS A INTERNATIONAL FRANCHISE HOLDER I KEEP TO THE WORLD FRANCHISE REGULATIONS STIPULATED BY MY PRINCIPALS IN USA WHERE THE MATERIALS ARE CONCERNED.

Wijesinghe

can someone tell me a place to buy Silvo?

Looking all over the supermarkets and hardware shops

heavily stocked and fancier hardware shops should deffa have it...

Brasso was marketed as for polishing brass goods and Silvo was marketed to be used on silverware and the likes...

I think both are somewhat simillar in their cleaning action and my guess is silvo must be a tad bit more finer than brasso in it's abrasive properties...

Sylvi

I think we all have a good idea about the quality aspect of the service you provide. nobody is arguing that

However given the chance, a 15k bill is a tad too steep for something that can be addressed for a couple of hundred bucks and some elbow grease.

I'm finding this really entertaining.... was planning on going to sleep early, but the fuel saver thread was getting so interesting, i just had to read this too.. its nearly 3.00am, but what the hell here goes...

I hope this doesnt count as personal advertising...

I intend to open a chome polishing business in Sri Lanka soon. It will be a a franchise under Santa Clause and all my chrome polishing will be done by elves who Santa has personally trained. They will be doing the polishing by licking every inch of chrome on your car to give it a personal touch. At the same time they will be wiggling their little pointy ears at a RPM of around 200-300 rpm (depending on the humidity of the day, this i different from a normal person wiggling his ears).. To keep the chrome shining for a longer time, just before every polishing job each elf will be given a tube of tooth paste imported from Iceland to brush his teeth with. And to maintain the standards the elves will be fed snow brought all the way from the north pole so that the dietary changes in sri lanka will not affect their chrome licking ability.

In addition to the normal chrome licking (i mean polishing) service we also offer a 2nd package where the elves will sing and dance around your car so that the first light that reflects off the chrome is of a happy and pleasant event, hence making the car shine more vibrantly and pleasantly.

But please try to keep your polishing to be done between January and October since the elves are working only on contract basis and have to go help santa during holiday peak season. And since I am not personally trained in licking chrome all i can do is dance around your car, and personally even i wouldn't want me dancing around my own car. So remember to drop by between January and October for the chome licking (i mean shining) of a lifetime...

hehehe, Sorry for wasting your time in case you didnt find this amusing ....

Dear Dilesh a few questions.

What are you charges for the standard package of licking/shining? and what premium would you charge for dancing. i meant the elves.

Is there anything different from having my dog lick the chrome as oppose to your elves?

I'm finding this really entertaining.... was planning on going to sleep early, but the fuel saver thread was getting so interesting, i just had to read this too.. its nearly 3.00am, but what the hell here goes...

I hope this doesnt count as personal advertising...

I intend to open a chome polishing business in Sri Lanka soon. It will be a a franchise under Santa Clause and all my chrome polishing will be done by elves who Santa has personally trained. They will be doing the polishing by licking every inch of chrome on your car to give it a personal touch. At the same time they will be wiggling their little pointy ears at a RPM of around 200-300 rpm (depending on the humidity of the day, this i different from a normal person wiggling his ears).. To keep the chrome shining for a longer time, just before every polishing job each elf will be given a tube of tooth paste imported from Iceland to brush his teeth with. And to maintain the standards the elves will be fed snow brought all the way from the north pole so that the dietary changes in sri lanka will not affect their chrome licking ability.

In addition to the normal chrome licking (i mean polishing) service we also offer a 2nd package where the elves will sing and dance around your car so that the first light that reflects off the chrome is of a happy and pleasant event, hence making the car shine more vibrantly and pleasantly.

But please try to keep your polishing to be done between January and October since the elves are working only on contract basis and have to go help santa during holiday peak season. And since I am not personally trained in licking chrome all i can do is dance around your car, and personally even i wouldn't want me dancing around my own car. So remember to drop by between January and October for the chome licking (i mean shining) of a lifetime...

hehehe, Sorry for wasting your time in case you didnt find this amusing ....

i don't mind its elves or santa himself licks all chrome parts or entire body (of the car of course, me no dirty) as long as personal advertising aint allowed here. Let a fellow member who has been licked let express their views than you blowing your own trumpet. :P

all in all it was very creative. Let me come up something with oompa loompas.

Mr.Wijesinghe

obviously you are a very experienced gentleman in the field of motoring...so why not share your expertise in autolanka without marketing your workshop in every post.Then in time after you gain the respect of the members,maybe your business will have some autolanka customers...but as of now,I'm afraid to say,you come through as a cheap marketer who's desperate for work.

@ Dilesh...LOL at the licking elves :lol: