• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota In More Problems

Rebel

Question

24 answers to this question

in my opinion toyota's problems have been aggravated by the current geo-political landscape more than real problems with their cars. now i know a sticky gas peddle is no joke but dig deep into the problem and you clearly see that US government and US auto giants are trying to take undue advantage of this "hot coffee spill".

Well big business and politics ......

They've also have started facing issues in South Africa so it complicates the whole theory about American auto makers. Unless the plot really thickens and SA is acting up based on Big Brothers instructions and in exchange of cheaper vehicles!

Earlier, Toyota reported a huge swing back into profit in the last quarter of 2009.

Its net income was 153 billion yen ($1.68bn; £1.06bn) after a loss of 164 billion yen a year earlier.

Toyota confirmed its estimate that it would lose about $2bn (£1.23bn) in costs and lost sales from its worldwide recall of potentially faulty vehicles.

It added it had not yet worked out the cost of the latest reports of brake problems with the new Prius - BBC.

Edited by Rebel

in my opinion toyota's problems have been aggravated by the current geo-political landscape more than real problems with their cars. now i know a sticky gas peddle is no joke but dig deep into the problem and you clearly see that US government and US auto giants are trying to take undue advantage of this "hot coffee spill".

I fail to understand how geo-politics can have anything to with the throttle response of a car...

"Toyota earlier Thursday acknowledged design problems with the brakes in its prized gas-electric hybrid, but said it was still deciding how to inform customers and whether a recall is needed."

Unless it's similar to SL presidential elections...

Edited by Bugatti

I fail to understand how geo-politics can have anything to with the throttle response of a car...

you are correct Bugatti there's no direct connection between the two but isurujosh does have a point. US car makers are trying their very best to turn this into their favor.

yepeee are we going to analyze the election results??? can i join can i....

now now super_natural calm down i was just kidding...

How about Brand new Yaris, Corollas came recently to Sri Lanka. Isn't it same model they recall. Any update from Toyota Lanka?

coincidently you pointed out something which we were dicussing in detail, that's loading junk into countries like us where consumer protection is not even heard of. there's a high chance some of those recalls safely lands here may be at a discounted price. I know of a simillar story heard from an insider of a reputed agent supplied vehicles to most of govt. institutions in 70's and 80's. Particular agent had been contacted by principles and informed of a ship load of rejected cars of a particular model and ship was sailing close proximity to SL. Then chairman had agreed to sell all 300+ vehicles and ended up SLPD giving this model of cars to then ASPs. Now guess the make/model and agent :P.

I was thinking, if this happened in SL would we be able to send or demand toyota to recall a single vehicle, not to mention the inferior quality of the production aiming countries like us even of the same brand, Toyota.

coincidently you pointed out something which we were dicussing in detail, that's loading junk into countries like us where consumer protection is not even heard of. there's a high chance some of those recalls safely lands here may be at a discounted price. I know of a simillar story heard from an insider of a reputed agent supplied vehicles to most of govt. institutions in 70's and 80's. Particular agent had been contacted by principles and informed of a ship load of rejected cars of a particular model and ship was sailing close proximity to SL. Then chairman had agreed to sell all 300+ vehicles and ended up SLPD giving this model of cars to then ASPs. Now guess the make/model and agent :P.

I was thinking, if this happened in SL would we be able to send or demand toyota to recall a single vehicle, not to mention the inferior quality of the production aiming countries like us even of the same brand, Toyota.

Damn... this explains why most of the Yaris, Vios and Alion drives are aggressive on the road. It's not cos they do it intentionally.. just that their gas pedal is stuck...! :lol:

Damn... this explains why most of the Yaris, Vios and Alion drives are aggressive on the road. It's not cos they do it intentionally.. just that their gas pedal is stuck...! :lol:

rofl :sarcastic_hand: , that's a good one. But Alions are aggressive? very hardly i've encountered with Alions, may be the body parts are tad bit expensive to risk in day to day traffic?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8499770.stm

On Thursday, the carmaker reported a net income of 153 billion yen ($1.68bn; £1.06bn) for the final three months of 2009, compared with a loss of 164 billion yen a year earlier.

The firm also said it still expected higher sales and to make a profit this year, despite the heavy blow to the company's reputation.

Toyota estimates its losses will reach $2bn (£1.23bn) in costs and lost sales from its worldwide recall of vehicles that might have faulty accelerator pedals, but a recall of Prius models would send this figure even higher.

"The losses could escalate if it turns out that the trust and reputation the company built up over a period of decades has been demolished almost overnight," said BBC business reporter Jorn Madslien.

rofl :sarcastic_hand: , that's a good one. But Alions are aggressive? very hardly i've encountered with Alions, may be the body parts are tad bit expensive to risk in day to day traffic?

Well, not all Alions... just the ones that are cosmetically modified. There was this Black one last Sunday at Attidiya, who didn't seem to care about the cost of body parts, and I didn't let his pass me either.. :D

you are correct Bugatti there's no direct connection between the two but isurujosh does have a point. US car makers are trying their very best to turn this into their favor.

yepeee are we going to analyze the election results??? can i join can i....

now now super_natural calm down i was just kidding...

:lol: you can go nuts if you wihs - he is outta the island and doesn't have Internet access at the moment, so is unlikely to disturb u :)

let me guess - does it start with CAR & end with MART ? :huh:

:lol:

"Toyota earlier Thursday acknowledged design problems with the brakes in its prized gas-electric hybrid, but said it was still deciding how to inform customers and whether a recall is needed."

do you know what gets these peddles to get stuck?

do you know about the "hot coffe spill" analogy that i used in my post?

not so long ago honda fit was found with a factory fault that ignites a fire, there were so many cases of ford exploerers (quite long ago) being dangerous to drive due to factory faults and may more similar recalls by dozens of manufacturers both recently and in past but i do not recall such hype created by politicians about any of those recalls. watch cnn if u have not heard how much hype politicians, media and major US car makers create about this recall.

did u say police, then P......

do you know what gets these peddles to get stuck?

do you know about the "hot coffe spill" analogy that i used in my post?

not so long ago honda fit was found with a factory fault that ignites a fire, there were so many cases of ford exploerers (quite long ago) being dangerous to drive due to factory faults and may more similar recalls by dozens of manufacturers both recently and in past but i do not recall such hype created by politicians about any of those recalls. watch cnn if u have not heard how much hype politicians, media and major US car makers create about this recall.

Err... well... AFAIK Honda is not a US auto maker either. Unless I'm missing something here.

What is the process behind recalled vehicles? i thought the fault is fixed free of charge and the vehicle returned to the owner instead of them getting a replacement or money back.

What is the process behind recalled vehicles? i thought the fault is fixed free of charge and the vehicle returned to the owner instead of them getting a replacement or money back.

Yep it is fixedfree of charge. But if the owner is very persistent on getting his money back I'm sure they would do that too. Companies here in the US are very concerned about customer service. Also certain states have a law called 'Lemon buy back law' that requires the manufacturer to buy the car back from the customer if he doesn't like it. Those cars are then given a 'Lemon title' and resold but they always fetch a lower price due to the title..

Recalls are very common in the US. All BMW E46 models including the M3 has an open recall for rear sub frame damage. All Audis including the model I have has an open recall for the engine coil packs. Since there are so many Toyotas out there this is getting blown out of proportion heavily.

Edited by madmax

lol, agent i almost gave it away me thinks, so does the make. What about the model ;)

I seem to recall a lot of 505s in the PD when I was a kid in late 80s early 90s. Let alone seeing them in the PD, you don't even see them on the road anymore, not that I know of anyway.

Err... well... AFAIK Honda is not a US auto maker either. Unless I'm missing something here.

no i mean to say when honda got it wrong in US market there wasn't as much a buzz created coz honda is not as successful as toyota. (inspite of being another japanese manufacturer) everybody wants to do a toyota. everybody is after the leader. now my post does not mean toyota does not deserve to be punished i mean to say that the hype created is more pronounced than it should to be. nevertheless toyota will rise from these ashes. the damage is assessed at 2 billion USD and that's peanuts for toyota.

Edited by isurujosh

Yep it is fixedfree of charge. But if the owner is very persistent on getting his money back I'm sure they would do that too. Companies here in the US are very concerned about customer service. Also certain states have a law called 'Lemon buy back law' that requires the manufacturer to buy the car back from the customer if he doesn't like it. Those cars are then given a 'Lemon title' and resold but they always fetch a lower price due to the title..

Recalls are very common in the US. All BMW E46 models including the M3 has an open recall for rear sub frame damage. All Audis including the model I have has an open recall for the engine coil packs. Since there are so many Toyotas out there this is getting blown out of proportion heavily.

sad that really is <_<