• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Reason For The Toyota's Higher Market Value

JAFF

Well, an interesting topic that has always baffled me as well. I think Toyota realised long time ago that a larger percentages of car buyers are looking for reliable and efficient transportation from point A to B. Thus they`ve worked hard to improve their product to suit the requirements of a majority of buyers. Not to forget extremely efficient manufacturing process and clever market strategies such as brand differentiation (e.g. introduction of Lexus). Toyota do have a good reputation in other countries as well (obviously reflected by millions of sales), I guess the “value for money” factor in terms of build quality and fuel efficiency has contributed for this.

But I’m sure Toyotas have never achieved the status of ‘being worshipped’ as in Sri Lanka, at least not in most of the developed countries (surely not here in Australia). Here it’s just “a car” that you get in keep driving and driving and driving and driving… Not a thing you enjoy and have fun in (at least 90% of the model range).

As far as the Sri Lankan market is concerned, oh well, I have no idea why the hell is the “Corolla” has become an investment and the next best thing to having a couple of million in cash in your pocket. People and their attitudes I believe. :)

Personally, I believe that life is truly just too short to drive a Toyota (Landcruiser and Hilux can be considered as exceptions to this of course) and I have wowed myself not to join billions of ‘Toyotans’ out there. Lolzzz…

Just my two cents, not backed up by statistical figures, rational reasoning etc… :)

mrcat.. i agree.. i too think life is too short to drive a boring car.. bot sometimes u need realible wheels like for ur wife or something. and then nothing to beat a toyota in that department..

So glad to hear there are more people who just don’t think “how good on fuel” and wonder “resale value” even on their sleep..! lol..

Toyos` gud for the wify,so tru, well at least if she is not spoilt by your own car madness. :D I have infected mine so bad with my anti-Toyota virus, she wants a freakin Jeep Wrangler now.. :D

......But I’m sure Toyotas have never achieved the status of ‘being worshipped’ as in Sri Lanka, at least not in most of the developed countries (surely not here in Australia). Here it’s just “a car” that you get in keep driving and driving and driving and driving… Not a thing you enjoy and have fun in (at least 90% of the model range)........

Personally, I believe that life is truly just too short to drive a Toyota (Landcruiser and Hilux can be considered as exceptions to this of course) and I have wowed myself not to join billions of ‘Toyotans’ out there. Lolzzz…

Just my two cents, not backed up by statistical figures, rational reasoning etc… :)

Nothing wrong with the Toyota Corolla or for that matter a Honda Civic. Its unfair to generalize. I mean if it fits your need at that moment/ period of your life, then that's the car for you....I don't have a Toyota, but I wouldn't ever rule out not owning one just on principal.

So glad to hear there are more people who just don’t think “how good on fuel” and wonder “resale value” even on their sleep..! lol..

Toyos` gud for the wify,so tru, well at least if she is not spoilt by your own car madness. :D I have infected mine so bad with my anti-Toyota virus, she wants a freakin Jeep Wrangler now.. :D

yeah thats true.. so far the wify wants a good set of wheels with a good AC.. thats the requirement. and lots of mirrors... hmmm. jeep wrangler huh.. well good luck...

There are many reasons, not to mention the support given by Delkanda junk yards. No offence by calling them junk but in fact they are. So clearly one of the factors contributing high Toyota Corolla sales, exagerated prices is availability of used/recon spare parts.

When it comes to brandnew spares, there's merely a difference between Corolla spare parts vs. other rare breeds at least for most of fast moving items. However, not all Toyotas are fortunate to share the same resale value, perception in SL. For an example IST, check out the prices of IST used spares from Delkanda, they're exorbitantly high and rare. So does some upmarket Toyota sedans and Euro spec Toyotas in SL.

Another reason is the spread and the availability of spares, mechanical/ electrical know how across the island. Therefore, chances are less that you'll left alone without a help, if something goes wrong in a remote location. Which is not the case for Euros or makes/models not known to everyone.

But I’m sure Toyotas have never achieved the status of ‘being worshipped’ as in Sri Lanka, at least not in most of the developed countries (surely not here in Australia). Here it’s just “a car” that you get in keep driving and driving and driving and driving… Not a thing you enjoy and have fun in (at least 90% of the model range).

Now that's interesting... wonder how many consider Toyota cars as ones you "have fun in" .... ;)

Now that's interesting... wonder how many consider Toyota cars as ones you "have fun in" .... ;)

lolzz.. I'm sure anything with a back seat will serve that purpose.. ;)

I should have written something like "enjoy driving" :D

There are many reasons, not to mention the support given by Delkanda junk yards. No offence by calling them junk but in fact they are. So clearly one of the factors contributing high Toyota Corolla sales, exagerated prices is availability of used/recon spare parts.

When it comes to brandnew spares, there's merely a difference between Corolla spare parts vs. other rare breeds at least for most of fast moving items. However, not all Toyotas are fortunate to share the same resale value, perception in SL. For an example IST, check out the prices of IST used spares from Delkanda, they're exorbitantly high and rare. So does some upmarket Toyota sedans and Euro spec Toyotas in SL.

Another reason is the spread and the availability of spares, mechanical/ electrical know how across the island. Therefore, chances are less that you'll left alone without a help, if something goes wrong in a remote location. Which is not the case for Euros or makes/models not known to everyone.

nicely summed up harsh. another reason i can think of is none of the toyota models had any bad reputation attached to it like the FB 15 air flow sensor issue, Mitus DGI issue, P12 gear box issue etc.

there's more to toyota's superiority than just perception. my belief is social and economic factors play a major role. we are a nation that value money as we work hard for it. we don't just live for the day. most car buyer want a car that gives them trouble/cost free motoring and toyota has addressed that since day one.

not everyone is a car enthusiast that spend hours online trying to find out the reason behind the weird noise coming from the engine/transmission. when you finally take the car for an inspection the mechanic takes you for a ride. we've heard this story million times, haven't we? ever increasing cost of car ownership and the restricted access to debt markets are another reason for people to flock to brands that have a reputation for not bleeding money. make a whole lot of sense doesn’t it?????

Another reason is we Sri lankans like to play it safe, follow the crowd!!!. So a toyota that has ample part and resale value no mattter the condition is a safe bet.

I will not buy a used toyota in SL becouse of these same reasons, the previous owner knowing that he can get a good price will not maintain or replace any item i.e. (like timming belt or even a wiper blade).

Several members earlier mentioned relaibility how I know of an incident when a 1999 corolla met with head on collision and the driver lost his life. But my 1999 subaru or honda has air bags, so before you recommend this reliable toyotas to your wifes think again.

DO not go on the recommendation of the Basses!! (they make money on toyota mania). Maruti's can take you from A to B for less money!!!.

Several members earlier mentioned relaibility how I know of an incident when a 1999 corolla met with head on collision and the driver lost his life. But my 1999 subaru or honda has air bags, so before you recommend this reliable toyotas to your wifes think again.

I dont think its fair to take one single accident that happened 11 years ago can be taken as the sole sample space for judging toyotas. My sympathies to the family of the driver, but the fact is its not the 1st road fatality we've seen. And an accident is more an example of safety than reliability.

As for most of us her, we might be able to call a bluff or at least consult someone if i smell something fishy when we go to a mechanic, so we can probably afford to be a bit more adventurous when choosing a vehicle despite reliability or maintenance issues. But its not unreasonable for someone not that knowledgeable about cars to pay a slightly higher premium and avoid having to face unexpected repairs which could dig even deeper holes in their pockets,

nicely summed up harsh. another reason i can think of is none of the toyota models had any bad reputation attached to it like the FB 15 air flow sensor issue, Mitus DGI issue, P12 gear box issue etc.

there's more to toyota's superiority than just perception. my belief is social and economic factors play a major role. we are a nation that value money as we work hard for it. we don't just live for the day. most car buyer want a car that gives them trouble/cost free motoring and toyota has addressed that since day one.

not everyone is a car enthusiast that spend hours online trying to find out the reason behind the weird noise coming from the engine/transmission. when you finally take the car for an inspection the mechanic takes you for a ride. we've heard this story million times, haven't we? ever increasing cost of car ownership and the restricted access to debt markets are another reason for people to flock to brands that have a reputation for not bleeding money. make a whole lot of sense doesn’t it?????

true enough, common man's vehicle yeah? however people doesn't consider the high initial investment as a burden it seems, they're more concern on the unseen cost of ownership. it was discussed in another thread that euro car would cheap to own but "might be" expensive to run. But still majority go for 121's or Allions spending few millions because you can assure the "money back" guarantee. Yes, we're a risk averse community so more than anything people are concern about to be on the safe side.

I dont think its fair to take one single accident that happened 11 years ago can be taken as the sole sample space for judging toyotas. My sympathies to the family of the driver, but the fact is its not the 1st road fatality we've seen. And an accident is more an example of safety than reliability.

As for most of us her, we might be able to call a bluff or at least consult someone if i smell something fishy when we go to a mechanic, so we can probably afford to be a bit more adventurous when choosing a vehicle despite reliability or maintenance issues. But its not unreasonable for someone not that knowledgeable about cars to pay a slightly higher premium and avoid having to face unexpected repairs which could dig even deeper holes in their pockets,

1+ on that Dilesh!

High Value of Toyota is - WHEN you have a corolla parked in your garage or front porch You become Middle Class!!!

Sri lankans love this middle class thing. They may use the car once a week but as long as the corolla is parked where the negihbours can see. (in the country side this feeling is very strong) there is one happy man!!!

High Value of Toyota is - WHEN you have a corolla parked in your garage or front porch You become Middle Class!!!

Sri lankans love this middle class thing. They may use the car once a week but as long as the corolla is parked where the negihbours can see. (in the country side this feeling is very strong) there is one happy man!!!

Your entitled to your personal opinion. But I dont think its wise to just generalize that most people think like that :action-smiley-060:

no offense mate but that's quite a retarded comment!

I own a corolla myself! I have my own reasons but showing off to the neighbors is definitely not one of them!

Mind you corolla is not at all an image statement kinda car... people own very old mercs and pajeros in the country side as you say for image cos they have some presence i their view! Corollas are mostly used by people who drive about quite a bit and that's why they go for them in the first place for perceived reliability, low running costs, low fuel etc etc

The strange factor is that this so called toyota second hand market is only exsistent in a very limited number of models as mentioned previously. Corolla, Allion, Land cruiser to name a few. I mean the 2003 camry sells at the same price as a 2003 corolla jap version in the second hand market. And even the premio, even though is 85% an allion, doesnt enjoy the same market demand. More than any other factor, market perception is the biggest decider of a price of a car in the second hand market

More than any other factor, market perception is the biggest decider of a price of a car in the second hand market

True, but if you read all posts again, they elaborate how this market "perception" has built up and what are the reasons behind this "perception"

I own a corolla myself! I have my own reasons but showing off to the neighbors is definitely not one of them!

Mind you corolla is not at all an image statement kinda car... people own very old mercs and pajeros in the country side as you say for image cos they have some presence i their view! Corollas are mostly used by people who drive about quite a bit and that's why they go for them in the first place for perceived reliability, low running costs, low fuel etc etc

but spare parts are quiet expensive right?? i heard that a front door panel of corolla 121 costs about 40k

but spare parts are quiet expensive right?? i heard that a front door panel of corolla 121 costs about 40k

don't know the price of that but it would be quite surprising to see a door panel of a corolla going so high!

next time i'm passing one of those joints and have some time to spare...shall look it up and see :)

don't know the price of that but it would be quite surprising to see a door panel of a corolla going so high!

next time i'm passing one of those joints and have some time to spare...shall look it up and see :)

may be he's referring to brand new prices from Agents ;) and if so, this is a possibility