• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Parking The Car In The Sun

rangerover

Guys,

When i come to work i park my car in the sun. Its in the sun from around 10am - 1.30pm, after that that the sun is covered by the buildings around.

Just want to know what effects the heat build up in the car could cause. I use reflective sun shades to cover the entire front and rear windscreens, and sun shades (full lenght bought on ebay) to cover the side windows. So basically the car interior is 90% sun light proof

However due to the outside tempreature the inside gets heated, what effects could it have on the interior? could it make the interior plastics loose and start making rattling noises? just the heat level for 3.30 hours?

Some feedback from guys who park in the sun the whole day would be greatly appreciated!

Ive heard that the Dashboard gets cracked anyway havnt experienced it.

And also dont leave any perfume bottles inside the other than in the Glove box because they Explode and cause damage to the interior and glasses

I used armoall uv protectant dashboard cleaner once a week. I also fully cover the front and rear windscreens together with the sides. so no sun light gets in. The cracking i hear is because of UV rays

I used armoall uv protectant dashboard cleaner once a week. I also fully cover the front and rear windscreens together with the sides. so no sun light gets in. The cracking i hear is because of UV rays

you can also slightly lower your shutters so the heated air escapes fast and not really build up the temp!

i've seen this solar powered motor thing on ebay sometime back...basically it just latches on to the top of your shutter once it's lowered a bit and helps to pull out hot air from the car! runs by itself with solar power so seems like a quite nifty little gadget if one has to leave the routinely in hot sun

Guys,

When i come to work i park my car in the sun. Its in the sun from around 10am - 1.30pm, after that that the sun is covered by the buildings around.

Just want to know what effects the heat build up in the car could cause. I use reflective sun shades to cover the entire front and rear windscreens, and sun shades (full lenght bought on ebay) to cover the side windows. So basically the car interior is 90% sun light proof

However due to the outside tempreature the inside gets heated, what effects could it have on the interior? could it make the interior plastics loose and start making rattling noises? just the heat level for 3.30 hours?

Some feedback from guys who park in the sun the whole day would be greatly appreciated!

I also lower all 4 shutters a bit.

Do you have more details (link?) of the stuff you bought from ebay?

Tks.

Ive heard that the Dashboard gets cracked anyway havnt experienced it.

And also dont leave any perfume bottles inside the other than in the Glove box because they Explode and cause damage to the interior and glasses

I have seen this is few vehicles, it's only the plastic cover in front of all your meters that cracks.

But strange things happen too. I parked my fathers Toyota in Sun light one day, after 3 , 4 hours I drove back to home and put it to the garage, where i noticed the entire transparent cover in the dashboard is cracked (similar to windscreen that cracked all over but still intact together). But after 2,3 hours i noticed all the cracks are gone just like nothing happened (could be due to expansion of the plastic due to heat)

• Like 1

Ok, so the interior panels etc wont loosen? because i hate rattling noises in my car.

Also, i wax the entire body and lights once a month using 3m paste wax and wash the car 3rice a week using armorall wash and wax. Do you reckon thats enough preventive measurements to avoid car exterior being damaged from being in the sun 4 hours a day?

Ok, so the interior panels etc wont loosen? because i hate rattling noises in my car.

Also, i wax the entire body and lights once a month using 3m paste wax and wash the car 3rice a week using armorall wash and wax. Do you reckon thats enough preventive measurements to avoid car exterior being damaged from being in the sun 4 hours a day?

I think its enough to protect the car' paint getting faded off.

i'm guessing it's the UV rays that causes the paint to fade overtime with exposure to sunlight!

IF that's the case...it's highly unlikely than these polishes will be able to deflect them and and stop the damage.

suppose waxing and polishing will always remove the top most layer of the paint so it will not show any signs of fading for a while

but as you thin the paint out, fading should show up!

just a theory and i can be extremely wrong here :)

IMHO the best is to try as much as you can to get a bit more shady spot!

i tend to drive in early to work when i can cos there are like 2-3 spots that have continuous shade.

only downside is that the trees that provide the shade have those damn crows in em!

so instead of possible heat damage, i always get crow poop all over! :(

i'm guessing for paintwork crow poop must be lot worse than the sun

i'm guessing it's the UV rays that causes the paint to fade overtime with exposure to sunlight!

IF that's the case...it's highly unlikely than these polishes will be able to deflect them and and stop the damage.

suppose waxing and polishing will always remove the top most layer of the paint so it will not show any signs of fading for a while

i tend to drive in early to work when i can cos there are like 2-3 spots that have continuous shade.

only downside is that the trees that provide the shade have those damn crows in em!

but bro Wax makes a layer protecting the paint neda

Ah I forgot to mention.Normally a car is waxed once in 3 months

belive me its a lot worse.. you have to take care of them right away.. have to carry one of those detergent sparys and a clean cloth..

I was under the impression that waxes dont remove parts of the paint. Only abrasive cutting compound does that. Certain waxes are light abrasive, but 3M isnt.

well for wax to make the paint look shinier, i think it has to remove certain amount of top coat!

i too use 3m liquid wax and i'm pretty sure it's lightly abrasive :)

i've used it once on a lightly scratched DVD and it "removed" the scratches! so it's gotta be abrasive

SpeadFreak

well i think most of us wax our cars lot often than in every three months!

If you're using things like eagle one wash and wax, you might be "waxing" your car almost once a week if not more

and about wax making a protective layer...i think that's more to do with tackling light abrasives like dust and slightly more heavier particles, things like crow poop etc etc...

i would very much doubt that coating can neutralize the effect of UV rays

supposedly UVB – range (280-315nm) is the visible part of the sunlight that causes sunburn and paint damage.

i suppose there must be products made specificly to tackle this issue!

the sunscreen creams we use protect you from both uva and uvb so if the wax contains similar properties you should be in the clear

Charitha

yeah man...crow poop really is the worst!

especially if the back drops one on an already heated paint surface!

i've heard that the chemicals in the poop really messes up your paint and it's more visible on darker cars!

and the bad thing is that you really cant be on a crow poop patrol to keep em bastards and their poop away!

well for wax to make the paint look shinier, i think it has to remove certain amount of top coat!

i've used it once on a lightly scratched DVD and it "removed" the scratches! so it's gotta be abrasive

SpeadFreak

well i think most of us wax our cars lot often than in every three months!

If you're using things like eagle one wash and wax, you might be "waxing" your car almost once a week if not more

and about wax making a protective layer...i think that's more to do with tackling light abrasives like dust and slightly more heavier particles, things like crow poop etc etc...

i would very much doubt that coating can neutralize the effect of UV rays

supposedly UVB – range (280-315nm) is the visible part of the sunlight that causes sunburn and paint damage.

i suppose there must be products made specificly to tackle this issue!

the sunscreen creams we use protect you from both uva and uvb so if the wax contains similar properties you should be in the clear

Charitha

yeah man...crow poop really is the worst!

especially if the back drops one on an already heated paint surface!

i've heard that the chemicals in the poop really messes up your paint and it's more visible on darker cars!

and the bad thing is that you really cant be on a crow poop patrol to keep em bastards and their poop away!

oh ryt .Thnkx for the Info Bro

I have seen, cars in the states, specially in texas, which are parked in the drive ways looking shiny all year. I guess waxing puts a protective coating on the uv reflective material that the paint of the car comes with. Similar to the head lights. If you keep waxing, you would prevent that uv layer from deteriorating!

Are you sure a simple wax will remove a certain amount of the top coat??? I highly doubt it. I use 3M liquid wax too. If a bit of the top coat is being removed, the you should at least see some paint transfer on your polishing cloth. I have never noticed this myself.

Are you sure a simple wax will remove a certain amount of the top coat??? I highly doubt it. I use 3M liquid wax too. If a bit of the top coat is being removed, the you should at least see some paint transfer on your polishing cloth. I have never noticed this myself.

good point. i've not seen that happening myself...

BUT...the wax did remove minor scratches from a dvd so how can that happen if it's not abrasive? :unsure:

just fishing for ideas here...but can it be possible that the top coat a wax removes tends to be the clear lacquer on top so it doesn't really show up on a polishing cloth/pad?

Waxes fill in small chips and scratches. And as time goes by it resurfaces again. Thats why you see your car paint scratches sometimes gets covered after wax and re appears when it is time for re application. I think a similar thing could occure even for scratched CD's

Waxes fill in small chips and scratches. And as time goes by it resurfaces again. Thats why you see your car paint scratches sometimes gets covered after wax and re appears when it is time for re application. I think a similar thing could occure even for scratched CD's

I had a red color car sometime back. After applying wax (which is not a good wax as 3M) the cloth I used to wipe out wax became red. Which means a tiny layer of paint is removed by the wax. But then again it is a cheap product which I cannot remember the name even.

I had a red color car sometime back. After applying wax (which is not a good wax as 3M) the cloth I used to wipe out wax became red. Which means a tiny layer of paint is removed by the wax. But then again it is a cheap product which I cannot remember the name even.

Some waxes are lightly abrasive. They are meant for cars that have been slightly neglected, and therefore removes the oxidated part of the paint with abrasive. But as regular maintanance, 3M / Meguiars, Autglym and similar non abrasive paint sealant sorta waxes are ideal.