• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Using Brasso To Remove Paint Scratches

fookie

Hey Guys ,

Need some advice on this . A three wheeler brushed by right back door .So there are his paint scratches left over on my door , one deep scratch on the fender and a small dent near the window.

Scratches seems to be not deep and few people advised me to use brasso to remove those scratches. I want to know whether using Brasso would damage my paint and will it leave yellow spots ? Few other places advised me to paint the whole door :blink:

I think for the fender I have to repaint it, but for the door what would be the best brasso or the repaint the whole thing ??

Thanks.

Hey Guys ,

Need some advice on this . A three wheeler brushed by right back door .So there are his paint scratches left over on my door , one deep scratch on the fender and a small dent near the window.

Scratches seems to be not deep and few people advised me to use brasso to remove those scratches. I want to know whether using Brasso would damage my paint and will it leave yellow spots ? Few other places advised me to paint the whole door :blink:

I think for the fender I have to repaint it, but for the door what would be the best brasso or the repaint the whole thing ??

Thanks.

Yea I think the the trick works, no personal experience though.......first try it on minor scratches (you will have to apply brasso and rub it sooo hard) and see if there is any effect on the paint. But I would recommend using it only on the scratches that are on the lower and much unnoticeable part of the door.

Be careful if you are using it on a metallic paint it would tend to fade or lose its shine.......i guess

If things are very bad, I think repainting the whole door as you also have a dent on the door.

Edited by Killer-B

Thanks a lot for the replies, I am going to get some quotations for the repaint job tomorrow, if the price is not affordable I might try the brasso trick, anyway how much would it cost for a cut and polish job these days ??

Thanks a lot for the replies, I am going to get some quotations for the repaint job tomorrow, if the price is not affordable I might try the brasso trick, anyway how much would it cost for a cut and polish job these days ??

Brasso is good..

For Cut n polish..3M joint Deans road...They charge 4750/- for cars..good job they do...or approach a painter guy with a wax grinder..will cost you 2500-4000.

MINIACE

It would cost between 3000-5000 rupees

Its better to get the Job done by professionals like what Mini has suggested.An inexperienced guy will leave Swirl Marks :)

If the door has a dent, i guess getting it repaired and painted would be the best. If not, use Meguiars Scratchx 2.0 or the 3M scratch remover. These are designed to be used on car paint, unlike brasso, so you would have less to worry about undesired effects

Hey guys,

Repainted the door today, but on the way it started to rain :action-smiley-060: .

Would it effect my fresh paint ??

How long do I have to wait to do a cut and polish job on the whole car since it is fresh paint oh the door ?

No effect....wait 48Hrs and do the job

MINIACE

MINIACE

Hey,

Thanks for the reply MINIACE. But from what I found from internet so far, some would recommend waiting 30 to 60 days before doing it. I am bit worried about this. Please have a look,

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=14359

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthrea...p;threadid=3704

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10723

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Discuss:Why_do_y...a_new_paint_job

http://www.enquirium.com/How-long-before-i...t-q2250218.aspx

MINIACE

I repainted the boot & spoiler in my car about 10 months ago. The cut & polish was done about 24-30 hours after the paint job. I don't see any problems in the paint so far.

Mate,Its always good to refer gossip forums to clarify things..but you should be able to judge,how good the advises and whos advicing....In order to describe the local paint drying behavior, I need to go a little deep into technicals.

Sri Lanka got an average annual relative humidity at 79.8% and average monthly relative humidity ranges from 75% in January to 83% in October. The average temperature in Sri Lanka is 27.0 °C (81 °F). The moisture content of Sri Lanka may vary from 18 % db to over 30 % db .In other words thats the Ideal condition a painter would prefer to have for his job done and post drying and settling.This condition is mostly simulated in SOTA paint-booths.

So a newly done paint coating is ready to take any beating or even a fresh coating in 8-12hrs time and to be cautios,a period of 48 is healthy.

MINIACE

• Like 1

Mate,Its always good to refer gossip forums to clarify things..but you should be able to judge,how good the advises and whos advicing....In order to describe the local paint drying behavior, I need to go a little deep into technicals.

Sri Lanka got an average annual relative humidity at 79.8% and average monthly relative humidity ranges from 75% in January to 83% in October. The average temperature in Sri Lanka is 27.0 °C (81 °F). The moisture content of Sri Lanka may vary from 18 % db to over 30 % db .In other words thats the Ideal condition a painter would prefer to have for his job done and post drying and settling.This condition is mostly simulated in SOTA paint-booths.

So a newly done paint coating is ready to take any beating or even a fresh coating in 8-12hrs time and to be cautios,a period of 48 is healthy.

MINIACE

Hey MINIACE,

thumbs up for the clarification was really helpful. Then I am off to a Cut & Polish ASAP . :jumping-smiley-013: