• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Stop Sales Of The New Prado World Wide.

racerx

Defender ought to be in the 10 Million + bracket i reckon - Gummy will likely be able to clarify

Saw a news flash on Channel News Asia saying that Toyota has temporarily halted all Lexus sales in the USA as well! :o

Defender will be roughly about 11mil. Last time I checked Toyota quoted 19.5mil for Lower spec Prado (2.7l) and 27.5mil for the 4.0l.

If "the rear wheel hits the curb or slides off the pavement" wouldn't ANY vehicle roll-over?? (especially other SUVs with their Centre of Gravity so high up).

And the whole "consumer reports" seems like BS to me... Seems like a lot of US-news experts these days... they come up making big claims/allegation and then smoothly steps back saying something like "but i'm not a expert/engineer so its hard for me to speculate". If they dont know they should shut their traps and sit down.

Has this something to do with the suspension of sales of the Lexus GX460 (which is based on the new Prado)? IMO, it *is* BS what the US regulators are saying about the thingy flipping over while decelerating when taking a corner. They just want to stick it to Toyota when they're already down from the hullabaloo over the stuck pedals in Prius' and Camrys and what not, while giving the big 3 a foothold to climb out of the hole they dug themselves into two years ago.

Edited by terrabytetango

If "the rear wheel hits the curb or slides off the pavement" wouldn't ANY vehicle roll-over?? (especially other SUVs with their Centre of Gravity so high up).

And the whole "consumer reports" seems like BS to me... Seems like a lot of US-news experts these days... they come up making big claims/allegation and then smoothly steps back saying something like "but i'm not a expert/engineer so its hard for me to speculate". If they dont know they should shut their traps and sit down.

Most cars will not flip easily if their rear tire hits the curb during over steer because of the low center of gravity. Other SUV would flip over however I think most are prone to under steer. The issue here is that the traction control system is not stopping the prado from going into over steer quick enough. The discovery and other SUV have this system. BTW its weird it happens on the prado and not 4runner, they its the same chassis.

Defender will be roughly about 11mil. Last time I checked Toyota quoted 19.5mil for Lower spec Prado (2.7l) and 27.5mil for the 4.0l.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I hope nobody actually encourages this kind of pricing and actually buys this stuff...

Most cars will not flip easily if their rear tire hits the curb during over steer because of the low center of gravity. Other SUV would flip over however I think most are prone to under steer. The issue here is that the traction control system is not stopping the prado from going into over steer quick enough. The discovery and other SUV have this system. BTW its weird it happens on the prado and not 4runner, they its the same chassis.

but the Lexus / Prado is heavier and apparently the ESP / TC system has different programming :mellow:

but the Lexus / Prado is heavier and apparently the ESP / TC system has different programming :mellow:

Hmm, I thought the new Prado was supposed to be better equipped than the Disco when it comes to cornering. (Atleast thats what they said in their promotional Videos showing how well the Prado corners against the outgoing Disco3)

Stability control is what keeps the vehicle upright at fast cornering, and if it rolls like that then problem is in the Stability Control not working.

Devinda how does your Defender corner at speed without any electronic help? Or for that matter any of those PSD / MSD Defenders....

And who ever brakes in the corner should be shot as what it does is it brakes the momentum from the corner, your supposed to brake before the corner and accelerate in the corner.

Devinda how does your Defender corner at speed without any electronic help? Or for that matter any of those PSD / MSD Defenders....

Its not as staight forward as it seems - having run on a few brands over the years i reckon a fair bit is down to the tires and the drivers feel of the vehicle

there's not a whole lot scientific going on with these - just instinct and good sense with generous dollops of bravery :D

The actual getting through a corner at 60 -75 kmph, when you have a top end of just south of a 100 requires a fair bit of judgment - you need to line it up in such a way that you allow it to run wide without unsettling it mid corner

it doesn't take a lot to get them to tilt , break traction , slide & flip - i've heard stories and seen the results of others follies :(

Due to recent safety concerns with a sticky peddle. Toyota has decided to be proactive in the safety concerns with the new Prado. What is the price of the new Prado in SL? How much would a new Defender 110 be?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/17/business....html?src=busln

It's not the sticky peddle, it's something about the traction control failing to correct tail sliding. Apparently Toyota has acknowledged the issue. Consumer reports is quite impartial unlike most of the media, so I'm guessing there actually is a problem. But the bigger problems is American consumers want someone else to be responsible for the stupidest action they do. Why can't they just control their own car?

Edited by madmax

Didn't we hear about a couple of accidents involving MSD/PSD defenders rolling over?

Edited by madmax

Didn't we hear about a couple of accidents involving MSD/PSD defenders rolling over?

Yes there were quite a few. But in the hands of experienced drivers the story is different. Once Navy toppled a Defender after just two days after delivery.

But it shows as you pointed out earlier that its the driver who controls the vehicle not the vehicle that controls the driver.

Yes there were quite a few. But in the hands of experienced drivers the story is different. Once Navy toppled a Defender after just two days after delivery.

But it shows as you pointed out earlier that its the driver who controls the vehicle not the vehicle that controls the driver.

bang on!

its all down to the driver and how well he knows his vehicles limits when it comes to older vehicles not equipped with electronic nanny devices or safety features

bang on!

its all down to the driver and how well he knows his vehicles limits when it comes to older vehicles not equipped with electronic nanny devices or safety features

Was wondering whether they'll ban Lamborghini selling their hardcore Balboni editions in the US... They have less gadgets right?

Was wondering whether they'll ban Lamborghini selling their hardcore Balboni editions in the US... They have less gadgets right?

I don't think "consumer" advocates would care. How many Balboni's could possibly come to the US in a year? There is just no percentage in it for groups to make noise.

Besides, Lambos dieing a spectacular and fiery death is practically mandatory. ;) They are mad and Italian.

Guys, could this whole Toyota thing can be a well planned CIA/FBI/US.Gov campaign to bring down the Toyota's market share in long run and bring the Amercian brands and create their market share again.

I mean will any vehicle be 100% secured and will American brands totaly secured to drive. God knows what is happening.

Guys, could this whole Toyota thing can be a well planned CIA/FBI/US.Gov campaign to bring down the Toyota's market share in long run and bring the Amercian brands and create their market share again.

I mean will any vehicle be 100% secured and will American brands totaly secured to drive. God knows what is happening.

American brands have had pretty bad problems themselves in the past, just that Japanese brands did not capitalize on those mistakes. I think this was discussed somewhere on this forum.

In any case, if the CIA is out to get 'em, it isn't working - year on year sales of Toyota were some 40% higher in March than in March 2009 :P