• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

180000 Km Fb-15

Flanker_07

I baught a FB-15 That has 180000 genuine mileage. do i have to change the timing chane?

what are the other main issues that need to keep a watch on ?

You can get the chain checked for wear and decide on replacement.

When we buy a car which has high (or doubtful - which is mostly the case) mileage this is what we usually do.

Full service with under carriage inspection.

Replacement of belts, washers etc (checking timing chain in Nissans) irrespective of the mileage.

Change of engine, gearbox and diff oil.

Change of filters (oil, air, a/c).

Checking (replacement/servicing) of brake system, pads and liners.

A fuel system, throttle-body cleanup or total tune-up. Checking of plugs and changing if required.

Check cooling sytem, radiator etc.

Electrial Service - Alternator, Starter motor, battery checkup.

Vehicle system scan - You can get this done at the agents or any leading garage with a analyser/scanner. You can check the status of the Airflow, Crank and Cam sensors.

Replacement of tyres if needed and wheel alignment/balancing.

Checking of all switches, A/C vents, general trim, sound systems and making all repairs and replacements.

Any paint or bodywork and touchups.

Cleaning of headlamps.

Repair and replacement of seatcover material.

Interior shampoo/ vacuum.

Rubber Carpeting.

Removable carpets - The standard full set from Arpico

Changing to a fresh number plate also helps to refreshen the car sometimes.

Milindu, for Chains, aren't they supposed to be lifetime? With minimum or no maintenance?

timing chains too subjected to wear and tear. It starts emitting a sound when worn out, at least thats what happened with the timing chain of my 79, 504 GR.

However, these cars aren't old enough to worry about timing chain.

@milindu - great summing up of everything.

timing chains too subjected to wear and tear. It starts emitting a sound when worn out, at least thats what happened with the timing chain of my 79, 504 GR.

However, these cars aren't old enough to worry about timing chain.

@milindu - great summing up of everything.

Yes, great list!

Thi is the 3rd time in as many weeks I heard about the Timing Chain issue. So I was wondering why a component that is supposed to last the lifetime of the car needs to be checked. I have heard the noise coming from worn T Chians in bikes, but not in cars.

Does it have anything to do with teh service intervals?

Yes, great list!

Thi is the 3rd time in as many weeks I heard about the Timing Chain issue. So I was wondering why a component that is supposed to last the lifetime of the car needs to be checked. I have heard the noise coming from worn T Chians in bikes, but not in cars.

Does it have anything to do with teh service intervals?

manufacturers nowadays will hardly put anything into a car that'll last a lifetime unlike good old days :) T belt was introduced to reduce engine noise and there were many T belt failures in high speed cruising and mileage based T belt change too had issues coz idling time of the engine doesn't take in to consideration.

T chain emits noise if worn out, means it'll stretched a fraction over time and become loose causing the said sound. What i don't know is whether this can be adjusted.

Not quite sure whether we can derive anything about service intervals based on this sound.

Edited by harshansenadhir