• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

180000 Km Fb-15

Flanker_07

I baught a FB-15 That has 180000 genuine mileage. do i have to change the timing chane?

what are the other main issues that need to keep a watch on ?

Sir,

Your Car is imported to Srilanka by agents new or used in another country and registered here by a used car dealer?

As all used cars in other country's mileage meter is tampered, lowered down to get a better price.

Wijesinghe.

Sir,

Your Car is imported to Srilanka by agents new or used in another country and registered here by a used car dealer?

As all used cars in other country's mileage meter is tampered, lowered down to get a better price.

Wijesinghe.

This is a somewhat reasonable mileage for a 99' FB15.......mileage is not a big issue if the car seems to be well maintained, like a car that has not been well maintained but has done only 60000kms can give you a lot of trouble than a car that has been well maintained with about 100000+kms on the clock. Just make sure that you do the oil, ATF changes and stuff correctly and the car will not let you down.

Btw I dont think that all the imported cars (reconditioned) are clocked........there is some odometer check service available.

I baught a FB-15 That has 180000 genuine mileage. do i have to change the timing chane?

180,000 on SL roads means that you'd have to pay some attention to suspension, etc. :). 180,000 isnt a very big mileage for an engine, if maintained properly. :)

Edited by GearHead

180,000 on SL roads means that you'd have to pay some attention to suspension, etc. :). 180,000 isnt a very big mileage for an engine, if maintained properly. :)

Sir,

I agree with your comment about suspension get your Shocks checked at Nalaka near Richiad Peris Supper market they have a package and go to Kleen park at Navinna or to the Agents get them to check your timing side of the Engine, and ATF with engine oil change with a new oil filter changed.

Today 90% of used Automobile dealers reduce the mileage meter to impress buyers car has done only few KMs.

Only few Japanese latest cars and few European cars the mileage meters cannot be adjusted to my Knowledge.

Wijesnghe.

Sir,

I agree with your comment about suspension get your Shocks checked at Nalaka near Richiad Peris Supper market they have a package and go to Kleen park at Navinna or to the Agents get them to check your timing side of the Engine, and ATF with engine oil change with a new oil filter changed.

Today 90% of used Automobile dealers reduce the mileage meter to impress buyers car has done only few KMs.

Only few Japanese latest cars and few European cars the mileage meters cannot be adjusted to my Knowledge.

Wijesnghe.

ATF change is suggested. There is a confusion whether to get it done through an ATF change machine or mechanically draining similar to engine oil change.Not sure what is the manufacturers advice ?.

ATF change is suggested. There is a confusion whether to get it done through an ATF change machine or mechanically draining similar to engine oil change.Not sure what is the manufacturers advice ?.

Sir,

Almost all modern Auto detailing centers use ATF Change machine I think you should do same.

Wijesinghe

We've had this discussion before.. best google the forum for it... I thought it was believed that the machine was actually bad for the transmission and the filter and some other sensitive parts within the box...

I remember someone posted a nice video of how to DIY at home without hurting the transmission...

Changing the timing belt is necessary. Change other belts along with it. It is recommended to change the water pump along with the timing belt. Im not sure if the FB15 came with a timing belt or timing chain. Changing engine oil, filters etc is no brainer. As for the ATF, getting it done manually should be fine. There should be a pan underneath your car close to where the oil filter is located and it needs to be unbolted, there is no drain plug like for the engine oil. You will need to find out the correct transmission fluid type for your car and the filter inside. You will also need a gasket that goes around the pan when re installing. Your top it off where the dip stick for the ATF is.

Can anyone please explain how the automatic ATF fluid changer works? strange enough I haven't heard about it.

Sir,

Almost all modern Auto detailing centers use ATF Change machine I think you should do same.

Wijesinghe

Mr. Wijesinghe, have you had any experience with the ATF changing machine? All i ever knew was the conventional method of removing the oil pan and draining it out. Atleast my car does not have a drain plug for the ATF. I am just wondering how this Machine operates.

Mr. Wijesinghe, have you had any experience with the ATF changing machine? All i ever knew was the conventional method of removing the oil pan and draining it out. Atleast my car does not have a drain plug for the ATF. I am just wondering how this Machine operates.

Sir,

I do not use a auto Vehicle but I have seen almost on all leading auto service centers and all automobile Agents many times I visit them for my Profession when they call me all leading automobile agents have them as World had changed times with modern equipment i still believe new technology ATF changing is quicker they are there for new Automobiles. You go to Kleen Park Dehiwala or Nadimala they have the machines first of all request a demonstration from their supervisor if they refuse you speek to their boss Mr, R Ratnasena that I directed you to him He is Japanese Qualified Auto after market service provider from 1975 who worked in Japan and pioneer in modern auto service industry.

Wijesinghe

Sir,

I do not use a auto Vehicle but I have seen almost on all leading auto service centers and all automobile Agents many times I visit them for my Profession when they call me all leading automobile agents have them as World had changed times with modern equipment i still believe new technology ATF changing is quicker they are there for new Automobiles. You go to Kleen Park Dehiwala or Nadimala they have the machines first of all request a demonstration from their supervisor if they refuse you speek to their boss Mr, R Ratnasena that I directed you to him He is Japanese Qualified Auto after market service provider from 1975 who worked in Japan and pioneer in modern auto service industry.

Wijesinghe

Thank you Mr. Wijesinghe for the information. I do not own an automatic in SL but when we do, your information would be helpful. I try and do oil changes on my own and hoping to do the ATF soon.

Thank you Mr. Wijesinghe for the information. I do not own an automatic in SL but when we do, your information would be helpful. I try and do oil changes on my own and hoping to do the ATF soon.

Sir,

ATF as far as I know Automatic Transmission Fluid which is used on Automatic Gear Boxes for Torque converter of the gear Box.

Please get them check up if it is non auto then you can change gear oil engine oil.

Wijesinghe.

Sir,

ATF as far as I know Automatic Transmission Fluid which is used on Automatic Gear Boxes for Torque converter of the gear Box.

Please get them check up if it is non auto then you can change gear oil engine oil.

Wijesinghe.

The Generic Term ATF is often misleading today ,since different vehicle manufacturers use different ATFs for their vehicles.

For example Toyota (141) & Mazda (3) use/recommend entirely different kinds of ATFs. Even the ATFs of Mazda BJ &

Mazda3 BK are not really compatible & not same.

Auto service people including so called giants in Sri Lanka do not know these factors and they put same,common ATF on

all vehicles.

The results will be early ruining of the auto transmissions, delayed response & hesitation.

Sir,

Wijesinghe.

Sir,

FYI, ATF is the gear oil used in all the automatic transmissions. Hence it is called ATF(Automatic Transmission Fluid). According to your posts, you are saying that ATF is only used in the torque converter (pls correct me if i am wrong). If this is the case, what oil is supposed to lubricate all the running gears in the gearbox itself?

On another note, i am amazed to see your AFIK comment about a basic ATF question. If i had more than 20years experience in automobile industry and if i spent more that 6hrs a day on the net reading about these development, i would have been able to give a straight forward answer to the OP.

Thanks,

GearHead.

Edited by GearHead

Sir,

FYI, ATF is the gear oil used in all the automatic transmissions. Hence it is called ATF(Automatic Transmission Fluid). According to your posts, you are saying that ATF if only used in the torque converter (pls correct me if i am wrong). If this is the case, what oil is supposed to lubricate all the running gears in the gearbox itself?

On another note, i am amazed to see your AFIK comment about a basic ATF question. If i had more than 20years experience in automobile industry and if i spent more that 6hrs on the net reading about these development, i would have been able to give a straight forward answer to the OP.

Thanks,

GearHead.

Sir,

Good Quality ATF can be used in all Automatic Transmission Gear Boxes.

Wijesinghe

Sir,

Good Quality ATF can be used in all Automatic Transmission Gear Boxes.

Wijesinghe

WRONG!!!!!

This is a misconception that has ruined many a gearbox in this country. ATF has different grades. Different shear points, different heat ranges. What works for one manufacturer is not used by another!

Examples. Dextron classification wont work for some EU cars. Case in point, my E36 has a ZF transmission that uses only Esso designed oil. Use anything else and you can save up for a new GearBox, hence why there are many BMW and Audis in Sri Lanka with busted auto boxes. Lucky for me, I wouldn't take advise from a a person like you.

(These 2 brands use a combination of ZF and GM Gearboxes. GM will take Dextron classified oils where as ZF will not, the type of GB is stamped on the right hand side of the GB with all data)

Another case in point, a freind changed the ATF using D-IV on his Honda VTi with a CVT and 6 months later he had the pleasure of getting a new GB for 80K!! (he also got advise from his FIL, who sounds just like you, who of course denied any involvement). Of course, he knew that CVT oil expensive hence wanted to save a few bucks... serves him right.

The new Toyota will die in 3 months if you use anything BUT what Toyota recommends and that is not what you get at these Mom&Pop shop ATF changing joints.

I think you really should STOP giving advise to people, Mr. Wijesinghe!

My advise is, check on your car make, model. And find out what the manufacturer recommends and use that, even if it costs extra. Its your car, your second biggest investment after a house, so look after it properly.

Don't listen to every Tom, Dick and Sylvi.

WRONG!!!!!

This is a misconception that has ruined many a gearbox in this country. ATF has different grades. Different shear points, different heat ranges. What works for one manufacturer is not used by another!

Examples. Dextron classification wont work for some EU cars. Case in point, my E36 has a ZF transmission that uses only Esso designed oil. Use anything else and you can save up for a new GearBox, hence why there are many BMW and Audis in Sri Lanka with busted auto boxes. Lucky for me, I wouldn't take advise from a a person like you.

(These 2 brands use a combination of ZF and GM Gearboxes. GM will take Dextron classified oils where as ZF will not, the type of GB is stamped on the right hand side of the GB with all data)

Another case in point, a freind changed the ATF using D-IV on his Honda VTi with a CVT and 6 months later he had the pleasure of getting a new GB for 80K!! (he also got advise from his FIL, who sounds just like you, who of course denied any involvement). Of course, he knew that CVT oil expensive hence wanted to save a few bucks... serves him right.

The new Toyota will die in 3 months if you use anything BUT what Toyota recommends and that is not what you get at these Mom&Pop shop ATF changing joints.

My advise is, check on your car make, model. And find out what the manufacturer recommends and use that, even if it costs extra. Its your car, your second biggest investment after a house, so look after it properly.

Some great info. :)

But youy never know, our resident expert :blink: might come up with some BS to cover-up his :action-smiley-081::lol:

Ok I dont understand whats with the bashing and sarcasm. I do realize he did the mistake of stating any Automatic Transmission Fluid can be used in any gear box but the best that could have been done is point out the mistake and move on.

After all I did mention in my earlier post that different gear boxes have different specif ATF types. (I would use the owners manual for the information)

Regardless your car is EU or whatever it should be a no-brainer to realize the differences in ATF types that are specific to your vehicle. There are people who take their cars to some Yaka-baas, take his advise on some generic ATF and bust their gearbox and blame it on the man.

Take whatever info you want, leave whatever you dont and add whatever you can!!! Respect others, atleast their input...

Regardless your car is EU or whatever it should be a no-brainer to realize the differences in ATF types that are specific to your vehicle. There are people who take their cars to some Yaka-baas, take his advise on some generic ATF and bust their gearbox and blame it on the man.

I will not blame the Man, I will blame the owner for being stupid. The random 'yaka-baas' as you chose to name them is in the businesses to make money, even at the expense of someone else's hard earned money.

That's why there is such a thing called the AGENTS in SL.... it takes the guessing out of the game. Though most of them suck at everything, they do have the right information if you go and ask them.

How many of these places know the difference between different classification? For them its a simple, 'If Its Red, Its In!'

If you cant afford to take the car to the agents, fine. But inform and educate yourself via the internet at least. Heck some of us spend 6 hours a day...

I am sure its not rocket science to google what you want.

What we need more is well informed drivers/owners and less of self proclaimed experts on everything mechanical to telecommunication to God knows what else.

WRONG!!!!!

I really appeciate VVTi's comments on misuse of ATF against manufacturers recommendations. Real fault lie in the importers of Lubricant's (they only think profit margins), probably agents of vehicles too and their narrow technical knowledge of elements(People).

As Mr: Wijesinghe said so called pioneers with more than 20 years experience do this same mistake ,by using generic ATF on valuable vehicles. They even not aware the existance of these categories.

In my case , I got the correct version from small motor spares shop in singapore ,where in Sri Lanka the Agent of this car doesn't have and they also use a non compatible AT fluid which is availlable in the market

in their workshop.

Always use Manudacturer Recommended Fluid For Autimatic Transmissions (MRFFAT) , since all ATF are not same and nowadays variations are changing even for same manufacturer for their different models.

Most of the car manudactures (not Mob** or Cast** )are producing vehicle specified correct versions in their own name , but probably not available in Sri Lanka.

We must avoid the word of ATF which is more than 30 years old in use and must talk about MRFFAT.

For your information.

Edited by Rohnd