• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hummers In Sri Lanka

Watchman

Comp eng at NUS huh? pretty nice man..gdamn ood school. I was actually considering doing the same thing when I got out of school, but it's really quite a boring career path if you ask me (if you enjoy it, go for it though). I made quite a drastic change of path and decided to go into econ...it's a great subject to study...not too many jobs out there, but it's very rewarding work if you are lucky enough.

You really should consider getting into economics though..trust me, there isn't much memorizing to do. I'm an "economist" in training, and I don't memorize a damn thing:) It's really common sense made complex if you ask me..and you seem to have a decent amount of that, which is something Sri Lanka definitely needs! I'm quite impressed with the calibre of economists coming up in Sri Lanka (and there are quite a few very good sri lankan economists working in various aid agencies all over the place), and I know quite a few people studying in various (and very good) schools in the UK and US in development econ and policy studies...hopefully they'll stay true to their roots and use their training in Sri Lanka once they're done (which is my plan so far too!).

Back to the topic of hummers now...!

Hi there good to have an economist in our forum... fully agree with you man, there is very little or no memorising for economics as you have put it perfectly itz common sense made complex with the use of jargons, talk about drastic turn overs in career paths, I also made a 360 degree turn from Management to IT I did my A/L in commerce in year 2001 (got an island rank too) had completed CIMA upto inter, only to start my IT degree in 2002 and now am a Software Engineer for about 1 year... one thing is for sure we the IT guys use our brains in work so much more than you mgt/economics guys :) (not neccesarily be conceptual brain though)...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there good to have an economist in our forum... fully agree with you man, there is very little or no memorising for economics as you have put it perfectly itz common sense made complex with the use of jargons, talk about drastic turn overs in career paths, I also made a 360 degree turn from Management to IT I did my A/L in commerce in year 2001 (got an island rank too) had completed CIMA upto inter, only to start my IT degree in 2002 and now am a Software Engineer for about 1 year... one thing is for sure we the IT guys use our brains in work so much more than you mgt/economics guys :lol: (not neccesarily be conceptual brain though)...

hey! i hear both of you (ucscsades & isurijosh) man! but i'm very much a maths person... so i think Soft.Eng is my thing.

And Isuru, if i may be a bit 'smart-ass' on you... man, if you make a 360 degree turn its just as you didnt turn at all man! heheheheee! i dont mean no offense man... its jsut me.. luv being cheeky! <_<

and where do you work man? in SL?

anyway, PEOPLE, OUR PEOPLE.. anything new on the H1? btw, is it registered? whats the plate on it?

Hi there good to have an economist in our forum... fully agree with you man, there is very little or no memorising for economics as you have put it perfectly itz common sense made complex with the use of jargons, talk about drastic turn overs in career paths, I also made a 360 degree turn from Management to IT I did my A/L in commerce in year 2001 (got an island rank too) had completed CIMA upto inter, only to start my IT degree in 2002 and now am a Software Engineer for about 1 year... one thing is for sure we the IT guys use our brains in work so much more than you mgt/economics guys <_< (not neccesarily be conceptual brain though)...

Haha..I wouldn't go that far! I've known quite a few hardcore electrical and computer engineering people who've taken econ classes (basic ones at that) to fulfil university requirements, and almost ended up failing after studying their asses off! I guess it's just a different kind of thinking that's required. Less memorizing, and more abstract conceptual stuff I guess. There can be a lot of math if you want there to be, but you could also go into the purely normative and theoretical stuff if you're more of a writing person (which i've been going towards lately cos i've been lazy:p).

But anyway..yes,...keep talking about these hummers, people! They're cool looking vehicles, but being an economist (and a tad bit of an environmentalist) im not the biggest fan of these incredibly inefficient vehicles...especially the H2s and 3s that don't even serve as good off roading vehicles!

hey! i hear both of you (ucscsades & isurijosh) man! but i'm very much a maths person... so i think Soft.Eng is my thing.

And Isuru, if i may be a bit 'smart-ass' on you... man, if you make a 360 degree turn its just as you didnt turn at all man! heheheheee! i dont mean no offense man... its jsut me.. luv being cheeky! :P

and where do you work man? in SL?

anyway, PEOPLE, OUR PEOPLE.. anything new on the H1? btw, is it registered? whats the plate on it?

Yes I agree... you got me there :) ... itz a 180 degree turn to be precise

I am working at IFS.

Haha..I wouldn't go that far! I've known quite a few hardcore electrical and computer engineering people who've taken econ classes (basic ones at that) to fulfil university requirements, and almost ended up failing after studying their asses off! I guess it's just a different kind of thinking that's required. Less memorizing, and more abstract conceptual stuff I guess. There can be a lot of math if you want there to be, but you could also go into the purely normative and theoretical stuff if you're more of a writing person (which i've been going towards lately cos i've been lazy:p).

But anyway..yes,...keep talking about these hummers, people! They're cool looking vehicles, but being an economist (and a tad bit of an environmentalist) im not the biggest fan of these incredibly inefficient vehicles...especially the H2s and 3s that don't even serve as good off roading vehicles!

I have done a bit of both... the weight of brain used in Economics is higher only when you learn the concept and come to conclusions thereafter it is in your blood, but in IT we constantsly have to stress our mind while at day to day work... thatz jst my opinion, there are no definitive answers to that kinda Qs anyway :)

MAn gud lukk ON IT DILESHH

I m also going to go tht way as soon as i finish skooling

So u Know any gud places where i can continue on my it

I NEED to some one who is a hardware engineer ..OR nything sumthin like inventing stuff..PLS tell if u do no.

YEah see n the h2 many times ..h3 sukks my uncle in the US gt 1 for 27000 usd he says its super 4 weel drive BUT ACTS LIKE A 4 wheel monster...No luxury ,no nuthin JST a box tin .A h2 crussheddd into sumthin more small like the mini Ipod but has less functions than the h2

MAn gud lukk ON IT DILESHH

I m also going to go tht way as soon as i finish skooling

So u Know any gud places where i can continue on my it

I NEED to some one who is a hardware engineer ..OR nything sumthin like inventing stuff..PLS tell if u do no.

h3 sukks my uncle in the US gt 1 for 27000 usd he says its super 4 weel drive BUT ACTS LIKE A 4 wheel monster...No luxury ,no nuthin JST a box tin .A h2 crussheddd into sumthin more small like the mini Ipod but has less functions than the h2

Hey man….

You know… we’ve been talking a lot of ‘career’ things on this thread!!! Maybe you should start a new one! It’ll give us all a chance to get to know the members and their lines of work better… cos right now, I’m sure for most of us(sadly like me), still know very little about our fellow members except for their log-in names…

And as for the H3.. by the looks I thought they’d have concentrated more on the luxury and usability of it as a SUV than a Off-roader….and I think it’s too small to try to uphold the image of the H1 or H2… its simply too small… like dehydrated, malnourished H2…

And what’s the engine the H3 runs on?

Hi guys,

I've been following the autolanka forums for some time now but never really got involved in the conversations...

But this is definitely something i've got to share with you!

I saw the black hummer being pulled over by a cop last evening near the Royal roundabout, whats interesting is that I saw the cop indicating towards the front crash guard!

I thought that the law against crash guards in SL was forgotten!

Whoosh

today i was going down Maya Avenue, when i saw a couple of cops having pulled up a Toyota Pick-up and pointing to the bumper on the pick-up.....

it was one of those metal hardcore 4x4 bumpers... and from what i understood from what i was seeing, the issue was regarding the 'crash-guard' for the lights and grill that comes as part of the bumper....

so are those illegal now? that kinda bans a whole lot of 4x4s out there... including almost ALL the pick-ups and Prados in the SLMM.... :lol:

as i remember correct, the law says that the crash guard cant be used if it is sticking out of the vehicle.. meaning, if a person is hit by this vehicle, the crash guard cant be the 1st thing to hit him....

as i remember correct, the law says that the crash guard cant be used if it is sticking out of the vehicle.. meaning, if a person is hit by this vehicle, the crash guard cant be the 1st thing to hit him....

kinda defeats the purpose of the crash guard if it's not the first thing to come in contact.

^

|

|

|

translation wud b nice cos my sinhala is bad

Translation: They are going to bring in a new regulation to ban all 'unwanted' (direct translation) and vivid color lamps installed on vehicles. high powered lamps affect oncoming drivers and colorful lights distract other drivers. Removal orders will be issued for vehicles with such lamps and will be strictly enforced.

Hope they know the difference between factory installed Bi-Xenon and a after market dispersed beam lamp. Otherwise those factory adjusted late model vehicle owners also will go through a tough time.

Our off roader buddys with powerful lighting will have to carry lights in the back of the truck and mount them when they turn in to trail.. :huh:

When will they start going after real road hazards ??

Air quality in Colombo had gone down so badly it seems. How many antique junkers u see on road..

Translation: They are going to bring in a new regulation to ban all 'unwanted' (direct translation) and vivid color lamps installed on vehicles. high powered lamps affect oncoming drivers and colorful lights distract other drivers. Removal orders will be issued for vehicles with such lamps and will be strictly enforced.

Hope they know the difference between factory installed Bi-Xenon and a after market dispersed beam lamp. Otherwise those factory adjusted late model vehicle owners also will go through a tough time.

Our off roader buddys with powerful lighting will have to carry lights in the back of the truck and mount them when they turn in to trail.. :huh:

Air quality in Colombo had gone down so badly it seems. How many antique junkers u see on road..

thanks dude

kinda defeats the purpose of the crash guard if it's not the first thing to come in contact.

well, the crach gaurd cant be the first things to come on contact with the PERSON... i know.... if you run into a tree or a wall, you'd want the crash guard to actually GUARD you... but these new heavy-metal 4x4 bumpers give more than enough protection even without the crash-guard....

and as for the 'unwanted' lights.. i hear that its ok to have thenm on the vehicle as long as its got a plastic/canvas cover... meaning they arent used unless really necessary (a.k.a: in the woods).. so i dont think that's be that much of an issue...

Our off roader buddys with powerful lighting will have to carry lights in the back of the truck and mount them when they turn in to trail.. :)

Yeah but dont you just hate it when some stupid montero's go around on main roads on high beam?? man you cant see a damn thing with the Xenon's!! If they get cought, it'll be hard to say 'they dont deserve it'!

Yeah but dont you just hate it when some stupid montero's go around on main roads on high beam?? man you cant see a damn thing with the Xenon's!! If they get cought, it'll be hard to say 'they dont deserve it'!

Yah, u r correct...The Montero's have a really brightttt head beam. If u meet one face to face, no way of seeing the way. I was jus wonderin whether those were original stuff or after market stuff??

:)

OH this is Troublee ..JSt got xenon lights on the land cruiser..Will they also catch the blue lites installed inside the vehicle (Roof mount)?

WEll according to my uncle who is working with the president,,HE said the srilankan police doesnt no much abt the lights if they say remove it thts it ..Abt drag racers they no alot ..After sum 2 racers killed A child who was walking on the yellow line ..They got very serious about and has many info on racers..So better Keep tha noise down.Specially racers frm mt lavinia ,Mardana .are noted and the leading vehicles are the civics ..

AND DILESH the h3 is a 3.5-liter, I5, 220-horsepower engine it is said it does 16 mpg but even it does more as my uncle said(SAVES PETROL THAN THE h2 )

Yah, u r correct...The Montero's have a really brightttt head beam. If u meet one face to face, no way of seeing the way. I was jus wonderin whether those were original stuff or after market stuff??

:)

Factroy installed Bi Xenons are well aligned and it has a lense that keeps the beam away from the eye of oncoming driver. That is only if the low beam is used. When u change to high beam.. forget about it. I have them and on highways just one flash of high beam from behind another vehicle is good enough to get a road hog out of the way most of the time. Rear view mirror reflection is enough to have the same effect.

All this stuff is good when the user is decent. If anybody want to abuse xenon using high beam they should get hit head on by a truck.

Its like the any other tool. when an idiot gets his hands on it it is dangerous. Not different from a gun.

AND DILESH the h3 is a 3.5-liter, I5, 220-horsepower engine it is said it does 16 mpg but even it does more as my uncle said(SAVES PETROL THAN THE h2 )

thanks.

wow, seems pretty OK i guess.

this sounds more like something we can run in sri lanka... thats IF you can afford to buy it in the 1st place...

According to srilanka rates the duty is arnd 300% more than the original of the vehicle no ..So a Hummer h3 will range frm 26-30 ,000

Usd .IF THE DUTY RATE IS ACCURATE THIS VEHICLE WILL BE LESS THAN A MONTERO ...or LAn DCRUISER sahara

wow! this is quite reasnoable, dont you guys think? i guess we just might see some of these in SL.. but still they arent the most economical sadly:(.. but hey, i guess those who can afford one, can run one!

wow! this is quite reasnoable, dont you guys think? i guess we just might see some of these in SL.. but still they arent the most economical sadly:(.. but hey, i guess those who can afford one, can run one!

Yeah man...many could affor it

Its 1 cool but a bit ugly machine more round on the front and boxyyy on the edges