• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Flood Victims (automotive) - Learning Points

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No good picture would explain better than this of the frustrating life being a cop. Not surprising that they have awfully fuming views about offending motorists. In any case they all are human.

MINIACE

you beat me to it mate, decided to put it here on the same thread as soon as I received it in the morning. Thumbs up for this cop and there were plenty of helping cops on the road in this morning, not to mention there were ones nicely stayed under shelters giving up the job.

yeah, we always make fun of cops but there are very helpful cops too

Note how it is a Junior fella standing in this melee- although there is another one behind him.

I can't figure out how he's still standing in that torrent- waves that high would certainly take a man off his feet.

Fantastic pic GihanFX- where was this taken? What happened the following seconds?

found this pic in FB,

Edited by GihanFX

Dear Sirs... after reading this post, I have jury rigged my little nephew's bathing bucket under the engine. Once I fill it with water, it immerses the engine sump. I also removed the fan belts as I feel it is a waste of space and weight. Now my car is really cool..

Tomorrow, I will remove the radiator and fix small water bottles around the engine to constantly bathe the engine with cool water to keep my temp down..

:):action-smiley-060:

Also I will write a strong worded letter to all car manufactures as to why they have still not contacted Mr. Sylvi to get some advise on the cooling mechanism of internal combustion engines.

Dear Sirs... after reading this post, I have jury rigged my little nephew's bathing bucket under the engine. Once I fill it with water, it immerses the engine sump. I also removed the fan belts as I feel it is a waste of space and weight. Now my car is really cool..

Tomorrow, I will remove the radiator and fix small water bottles around the engine to constantly bathe the engine with cool water to keep my temp down..

:):action-smiley-060:

Also I will write a strong worded letter to all car manufactures as to why they have still not contacted Mr. Sylvi to get some advise on the cooling mechanism of internal combustion engines.

Sir

i recommend you to fix a watercolor to the sump and relocate your AC ducts to the sump too, maybe later we can use water as oil and water as fuel too, flooding rocks :jumping-smiley-013:

Sir

i recommend you to fix a watercolor to the sump and relocate your AC ducts to the sump too, maybe later we can use water as oil and water as fuel too, flooding rocks :jumping-smiley-013:

We can even make coffee/tea! What a brilliant idea!!

how much will you charge for this? Rs. 15,000 or more?

Upper left hand side corner, close to the battery.

I went through faily high level of water twice dat day... (just arnd or above knee level)

gladly it was still fine...

I went through faily high level of water twice dat day... (just arnd or above knee level)

gladly it was still fine...

Whoa! Thats a lot of water mate!

Also, everyone, remember to knock your AC off when wading through water. A spinning compressor clutch if goes underwater will let water inside the housing of the pulley and destroy the pulley bearings of the compressor. The sand and mud actually. Happend to a friends N16 sometime back. The AC technician knew the moment he heard it running and showed us what it did... new compressor as some of these pulleys cannot be replaced.

of course 'removing' the belt like Sir said earlier might help too... but pulling off belts in the middles of a pouring rain is a bit tough, especially in cars today... :)

Also, everyone, remember to knock your AC off when wading through water. A spinning compressor clutch if goes underwater will let water inside the housing of the pulley and destroy the pulley bearings of the compressor. The sand and mud actually. Happend to a friends N16 sometime back. The AC technician knew the moment he heard it running and showed us what it did... new compressor as some of these pulleys cannot be replaced.

of course 'removing' the belt like Sir said earlier might help too... but pulling off belts in the middles of a pouring rain is a bit tough, especially in cars today... :)

Members of the forum,

Removing the fan belt was done not to flash flood water to Spark Plugs Plug wires and distributor not to any thing with engine temperature some idiotic members do comment against this.

I have done this many times in my life. I only shared my Experience I never wanted any other member to do this.

I have done my Engineering Theory and Practical long before most members were born in a first class country.

When ever I do a Engine overhaul I run the engine few hours on my test bench with controlled running water from a electric pump connected. To cool the Engine with a Temperature meter.

Wijesinghe.

Members of the forum,

Removing the fan belt was done not to flash flood water to Spark Plugs Plug wires and distributor not to any thing with engine temperature some idiotic members do comment against this.

I have done this many times in my life. I only shared my Experience I never wanted any other member to do this.

I have done my Engineering Theory and Practical long before most members were born in a first class country.

When ever I do a Engine overhaul I run the engine few hours on my test bench with controlled running water from a electric pump connected. To cool the Engine with a Temperature meter.

Wijesinghe.

you just dont know when to stop digging your own hole do you?... sigghh...

one day you say you have 50 years of experience in the automotive industry and then you go make a dumbass statement like this.. what DID you do in the automotive industry. The closest you seem to have gotten to a book on automotive principles book is when you had to move it aside to serve the mechanics their evening tea, :P and remember contrary to what you believe, age doesnt always bring expertise with it.

I did hav it on and heard a creaking noise for a short time with the AC on.

now that the weather seems ok, I thought of doing a check up.

What do you think that I should get checked essentially?

If turning back or taking an alternative route is not possible, other option is to knock off the engine and have the vehicle pushed across - as a lot of folks with vans actually got done at Ja-ela.... of course there were plenty of dip-sticks around to do the job - for a fee of course.

one day you say you have 50 years of experience in the automotive industry and then you go make a dumbass statement like this.. what DID you do in the automotive industry. The closest you seem to have gotten to a book on automotive principles book is when you had to move it aside to serve the mechanics their evening tea, :P and remember contrary to what you believe, age doesnt always bring expertise with it.

Soo true dilesh............even my 16 year old cousin knows about cars way better than me... and maybe better than sylvi too :P

Mr.Dilesh,

I think you have good experience of making Tea so treat your Mechanics with good evening Tea.

Wijesinghe.

Members for your information.

Driving in flooded Roads.

More than 50 Vehicles are already sucked water into their cylinders running in flood waters. Connecting rods are damaged

many are still in repair garages waiting to complete repairs.

Wijesinghe.

Members of the forum,

Wijesinghe.

MR Wijesinghe

can u explain how can stopping the fan helps with the cars that has Boxer Engines ? also with your 70 years of experience didn't u thought about removing the Fan fuse from the main fuse box or remove the fan power connectors next to the radiator ?, anyway i get your point why u want fans to stop, but there are tons of easy ways to do it

(cus most new vehicles has electric fans)

Edited by GihanFX

MR Wijesinghe

can u explain how can stopping the fan helps with the cars that has Boxer Engines ? also with your 70 years of experience didn't u thought about removing the Fan fuse from the main fuse box or remove the fan power connectors next to the radiator ?, anyway i get your point why u want fans to stop, but there are tons of easy ways to do it

(cus most new vehicles has electric fans)

Sir,

Almost all new cars have Boxer Engines. Yes You can disable fan by removing fuse control relay or Disconnecting the fan wires.

If they are water proofed can go in Flooded water some BMW HUMMER Etc Can go under flooded water

For Your Information I was Writhing about in 1980 days Cars my Experience Spark plugs Distributor was assessable easily.

If the fan belt is not removed from those engines driving in Flooded water will flash water on them and engine will stop.

I mentioned early at R.A.De.Mel Mawatha I traveled very low Flood water and my Temperature meter doped reading after I came out of Flooded water on normal Road the Meter came back to normal.

Early days motorists used to spray Penetration oil and wash cars undercarriage this was stopped after Clean park educated car owners not to spray any oil only to wash them by high pressure and he used to clean the engine by hand when he washes the engine bay he used to cover that area with polythene cover

Clean Park (Ranjan Rathnasena Esq) is the Father of modern auto detailing to this country Many others followed him.

This forum is there to share Experience with other members and to relate our past Experiences in a friendly way.

But I do not experience that high quality here Some forum members are like Politicians.

Wijesinghe.

I want one of the them Underwater BMWs and Hummers!! I really do... ;)

If they are water proofed can go in Flooded water some BMW HUMMER Etc Can go under flooded water
Edited by VVTi