• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Window Tints-what's The Deal???

Shrapnel

If they give something in black and white it will save all motorists time/money/stress.

You want a solution that saves time money and stress? Very simple. Don't have a tint on. Then you don't have to bother paying attention whatever level anyone claims. Not just preaching here, thats how I roll, no tints on the front windows. Its very stress free. Doesn't cost anything, and doesn't waste time.

On another note, how come many of our forum members are a bunch of humorless twats? Many of them can't take a joke. What has happened to the humor, people??? Why so serious?

I think owning and driving cars has become such a stressful task for many people, worrying about 1kmpl, the cost of parts, the tax, etc, that the joy and humour of it all have all died.

I noticed that those who actually take a joke and give back in kind and still be non-anal about it are people who enjoy the driving and owning of cars regardless of the pain associated, not those who bought them to impress or as a dire necessity. They can take a joke and they give it back in style and you never feel that you offended anyone. Eg. MasterDon, Ripper, Peri, Devinda...

But some other members are just, like I said are, Humorless twats.

Cheer up guys, there is more to life than how many Kms per litre your Toyota does.

Damn, sometimes commenting here is like walking on broken glass, not knowing which sensitive Homo you will offend next.

Sad..

See dude the thing is when a twat whom you don't know personally say stuff hiding behind the sarcasm banner it’s hard to differentiate weather that twat is joking or not. Plus jokes are subjective. Something you find funny may not be for others.

Well you may be able to get away with showing it to the cops, since they don't usually go to question folks who are well prepared I think :P The worst they can do is tell you that it is expired, best they can do is get confused and let you go. However, beside that point, it would be good to try and get a copy of the new gazette notification for the new rules- if there is one.

Hehe haven't you heard about Photoshop? :P

See dude the thing is when a twat whom you don't know personally say stuff hiding behind the sarcasm banner it’s hard to differentiate weather that twat is joking or not. Plus jokes are subjective. Something you find funny may not be for others.

Well, it sucks big time when you can't take a joke eh? Especially when the person getting affected was not the target in the first place... :)

I referred to the humourless twats, and of all the people here why are you responding? Are you humourless? :)

What's your problem? Why are you getting all antsy? Do you also have a breast feeding issue?

Edited by VVTi

Well, it sucks big time when you can't take a joke eh? Especially when the person getting affected was not the target in the first place... :)

I referred to the humourless twats, and of all the people here why are you responding? Are you humourless? :)

What's your problem? Why are you getting all antsy? Do you also have a breast feeding issue?

cmon vvti,,because you reply regarding the breast feeding was a bit offensive for ME.coz i had no clue mate..not even a smiley :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

im sorry for taking your joke serious mate,

its just that everyone may not be in a mood/situation to accept it..you seem to be a very old member(1000+ posts) and the names which you have mentioned happen to be old members too...they might be knowing you from the scratch.you may be a fun type guy who takes everything not serious and some of the members might be knowing about your character so that they never get offended.and so am i from today onwards.

tc.later

Like I said.... one must test the mood/situation of others before commenting on a public forum... Hilarious!!!!

I mean, have you all become the sensitive types since of late?

One asks me to test the mood/situation of a random member of a forum before I comment, another plebe 'hates' to be humiliated...

Tell me, have you all fallen from the sky?

Has anyone of you even attended a public school in Sri Lanka????

Hilarious Indeed.

Like I said.... one must test the mood/situation of others before commenting on a public forum... Hilarious!!!!

I mean, have you all become the sensitive types since of late?

One asks me to test the mood/situation of a random member of a forum before I comment, another plebe 'hates' to be humiliated...

Tell me, have you all fallen from the sky?

Has anyone of you even attended a public school in Sri Lanka????

Hilarious Indeed.

Take a chill pill man, what xxx and riddle trying to elaborate is the other side of the story which make sense too and I don't think anyone blame you anymore. Even I got shocked to see 'that' post knowing the times I went through with two kids, you know there are some seriously sick people out there :)

Let's call a truce here and keep an eye on what our law makers are up to with this 'situational law'

Edited by harshansenadhir

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this topic back but was wondering what is the current state of the law as I'm thinking of tinting the windows of our vehicle except for the passanger and driver side. Recently I have seen some fully tinted vehicles for sale on AL too so if some one has any information regarding this I would grately appreciate that. Also what will be the rough cost to tint a Townace Noah and if some one has any good contacts please PM me. Thanks in advance. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of fully tinted vehicles running around these days. I especially like how some 1980s and early 90s model cars are running around fully tinted and the morons at the wheel seem to think that gives them full immunity from the law.

However, I don't think the law itself has changed, and all it takes is for the DIG traffic to wake up one day and ask his cops to suddenly start copping people for this again. Today they were writing up people who had parked on the lanes off Dharmapala mw. These are working folks with no other place to park their cars, and with no signs saying "no parking" anywhere in the vicinity. After a couple of hours the cops just left.

Best is not to tint thr ftont windows as that way there are no excuses they can make.

actually the DIG has waken up yesterday and has ordered to check the tints again! my colleague got copped and can u believe he was being pursued by a police bike just for that? and the best part is the cop has shown a copy of the gazette which now carries another amendment to the law which bans the windscreen tint stripe as well. god knows whats the deal now!

actually the DIG has waken up yesterday and has ordered to check the tints again! my colleague got copped and can u believe he was being pursued by a police bike just for that? and the best part is the cop has shown a copy of the gazette which now carries another amendment to the law which bans the windscreen tint stripe as well. god knows whats the deal now!

:blink:

Where can we access a copy of this? Think it's time to call up the traffic department again.

From the police website:

Answer:

Use of tinted glass are appended in Government Gazette 875/08 on 16.06.1995 and Gazette Number 1273/28 on 31.01,2003. If windscreen and the two shutters besides the driver are tinted It is an a offence. However 20% tinted glass could be used only on the top portion of the windscreen

http://www.police.lk/divisions/tfaffic_faq.asp

Is there some lawyer on the forum who can advice us more clearly on this matter?

Edited by SeanD

I'm also thinking of getting tints done to the truck...damn heat is a bit of a botch these days...

had like a light tint on the car front shutters but never got into trouble for it...

just to be safe i'll fully tint the back and the canopy...

It'll be super if the cops or somebody can clearly state the law as it stands today. this is one bloody mess.

Even during war times things weren't this bad :(

I sent a complaint regarding the same through the "Ask the IGP" section of the police website. I am eagerly anticipating their detailed response.

Wait a minute. Response? Yeah right...

well some slave there must be cursing you and compiling a standard mail format they have to reply :)

• 9 months later...

Friends, I got copped in Peliyagoda the road connecting the kandy road and nawaloka junc and requested my DL as my front windows are tinted.Somehow escaped.Think they have started again.

Sucks. What did the cop say? What did you say? How did you somehow escape? Let me guess, was it a woman?

Extracts from http://www.police.lk/index.php/traffic-police/55

FAQ

Question : 15.

I have tinted glass fitted into my vehicle. Is it a offence?

Answer:

Use of tinted glass are appended in Government Gazette 875/08 on 16.06.1995 and Gazette Number 1273/28 on 31.01,2003. If windscreen and the two shutters besides the driver are tinted It is an a offence. However 20% tinted glass could be used only on the top portion of the windscreen

I guess rear tint is ok, get the copy of the Gazette and keep in the car if your rears are tint, the moment the cop knows that you know about the law they generally retreat.

• Like 1

So now doctors are above the law too! Cool, and all this time i was sulking that I dont have an uncle who washes some minister's prado :(

Awe, you got a rep up from a doc for the sarcastic comment you made on the whole scenario. Sorry, forgot, logic isn't taught in THAT subject stream isn't it?

bank on topic, what's the confusion about the tint law now? you can't have any tint at all on front windows (can have a sun blind tiny strip on front windshield) and you can have pitch black even on rear half, any cop would know this by now and no confusions at all.

So, keep up to it, you won't get caught. If you do get caught (don't waste yours or anyone else's time) telling the story to whole world. Simple.

Edited by harshansenadhir