• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Import Tax Slashed By 50%

crdesilva

I agree with Lalinda.

On top of this if you are an individual importer, you have to get a temporary VAT certificate from Inland Revenue.

This is where they get you. You have to show them how you are going to pay for the new car (car loan, sale of old car, savings etc).

But all this is worth it for cutting out the local car dealer and to save some money.

Good luck !

CIF price of 1.6 million is the depreciation in the UK. I'm guessing the CIF for a 2007 C-Class would have been atleast US$25,000 when brand new. According to the depreciation table given by SL Customs (refer: http://www.customs.gov.lk/mv/mvpg02.pdf) the CIF price now would be US$19,250 (77%). I believe the excise duty will be calculated as $19,250 *150% (not on the actual price you paid - 9,500 sterling). Then there's also other tax components - VAT, Port levies, environmental taxes etc etc... I'm thinking the price will be close to 6Mil landed - still not bad considering what they used to cost...

I thought the 20% VAT was already included in the 150% duty....

Surely One can buy a Mercs or BMW for that money in UK!

Sri lanka is a strange land by all means!

i have had enuf of u bitching on about sri lanka. if u r not happy then cut the crap and go back to UK the country where they live in those tiny houses!!! i was in UK 3 times last couple of years and i know that it aint as sweet as you say even for professionals (cars wise certainly better but not some otherwise). there are pros and cons of living in any country. but sri lanka aint no hell, at least as of yet.

i have had enuf of u bitching on about sri lanka. if u r not happy then cut the crap and go back to UK the country where they live in those tiny houses!!! i was in UK 3 times last couple of years and i know that it aint as sweet as you say even for professionals (cars wise certainly better but not some otherwise). there are pros and cons of living in any country. but sri lanka aint no hell, at least as of yet.

You are 100% correct. Most of the srilankans (currently living in SL) thinks that it is a Hell. But if they know the Sh!!!t that we have to go thru SL is better,at least for professionals. again there are pros and cons. SL is another country. We shouldnot compare a developed country with a 3rd world country!!! That's where people got wrong...thinking SL is a Hell.

Edited by nissmoz

You are 100% correct. Most of the srilankans (currently living in SL) thinks that it is a Hell. But if they know the Sh!!!t that we have to go thru SL is better,at least for professionals.

Anyone living outside should stop bitching about conditions in SL; you didn't like it in SL, you got out, now shut up and enjoy your life....

Sorry for going OT, but Nissmoz would you care to share the Sh!!!t you have to go through as a professional living abroad?

Edited by madmax

Anyone living outside should stop bitching about conditions in SL; you didn't like it in SL, you got out, now shut up and enjoy your life....

Sorry for going OT, but Nissmoz would you care to share the Sh!!!t you have to go through as a professional living abroad?

NO I DON'T. THATS MY PERSONAL OPENION. I DIDN'T LIKE IT THAT'S WHY I'M MOVING BACK TO SL.

THAT'S IT... NO MORE.

i have had enuf of u bitching on about sri Lanka. if u r not happy then cut the crap and go back to UK the country where they live in those tiny houses!!! i was in UK 3 times last couple of years and i know that it aint as sweet as you say even for professionals (cars wise certainly better but not some otherwise). there are pros and cons of living in any country. but Sri lanka aint no hell, at least as of yet.

(-:

Why the aggression bro? (-: I love my country that is why I returned! And loving the motherland by example! he he he I was just pointing out the differences in the system. I know there are difficulties living in a foreign land. But the quality of life is certainly better and social benefit systems are better. Just wanted to show those facts as we are trying to be the wonderland in Asia! So we should live in wonderland at least in our dreams. It is only a 3rd world country for people like me and poor masses. Politicos and middleman business people live better lives than people in developed countries. Why? they rob us two civics, when we buy one civic with our hard earned money!!!

I know professionals are called by their name by non-professionals in the work place and they have the guts to challenge bosses when they do something Wong. Hence professionals have difficulties.

I never lived in a tiny house and was drawing a monthly salary of £6000+ after taxes! Not just bloating myself. Now getting a £350 state salary here. I could buy a similar car here. But I just want to buy a mid priced sedan just to save money for me and country. Still love my country and that is why I decided to come and serve the poor, when many are trying to exit here. I will be here and die here though aggression and dishonesty is all around. But then as a human it is not unreasonable to get frustrated, when you see how professionals and honest people are treated by the state here. You have earned yourself a top position in a certain area and live honestly. There are politicos and sale gentleman to rob your money and live thousand times better than you. And the society? Do they treat you well for your honesty and hard work? Noop There are enough nice gentleman like you, who direct their very civilized and polite dialect toward people like us showing, how people are treated by the merits of their honesty and love for country.

Sri Lanka is a wonderful country! Sri Lanka will be the best country in the world when we see the back of filthy politicos and dishonest middleman businessman.

Perhaps then people will have the minds and dialect to respect others views with mettha and empathy. They will take good things from other systems and improve system. They will have only nice words to others. They will not show their true quality by their harsh arrogant words, while being encapsulated as Buddhists and friendliest people on earth! :rolleyes:

I hope I will see that heaven in my life time and talk to you as a friend and gentleman! Cheers buddy <_<<_<

Edited by kaushama

I never lived in a tiny house and was drawing a monthly salary of £6000+ after taxes! Not just bloating myself. Now getting a £350 state salary here. I could buy a similar car here. But I just want to buy a mid priced sedan just to save money for me and country. Still love my country and that is why I decided to come and serve the poor, when many are trying to exit here.

Whoa! That's a pretty handsome salary you were drawing- After tax too. That kind of money would buy me one of those shiny red Rx8's offa dillongt...I wouldn't even have get one second hand :D

Edited by Kavvz

Whoa! That's a pretty handsome salary you were drawing- After tax too. That kind of money would buy me one of those shiny red Rx8's offa dillongt...I wouldn't even have get one second hand :D

Yup But as I have common sense and brains, I do not want to show off by buying an RX8. I am sensible! That is why I went for a secondhand when I knew taxes are going to be reduced for sure! Now I will get a reasonable sedan from Japan without feeding sharks around. Many people waiting to buy secondhand cars haven't seen a price drop. Why? There was a rumor that taxes would be reduced cars below 1000cc when I knew it was going to be across the broad. Who told this? Mainly car dealers! Now there is a rumor that taxes would be increased after three months. Not to my knowledge! Who says these? I wonder. Perhaps people, who wants to keep artificial market going!

I will never be able to earn that much for sure in future! Unless I become a politico or a middleman business person!!!! (-: So got to be sensible! And I do not think, we should go for luxurious flashy cars in Sri Lanka. If you really love the country. Revenue Drain! Another hot topic oops!!!!!

Edited by kaushama

(-:

Why the aggression bro? (-: I love my country that is why I returned! And loving the motherland by example! he he he I was just pointing out the differences in the system.

Don't wrench your shoulder patting yourself on the back. Let's not forget where we were just over a year ago, and where we are now. Lets not ignore what a lot there remains to be done, and how the price of cars, while an inconvenience, and a method for unscrupulous businesspeople to make a fast buck, are not the be all and end all of life (sorry to say this on an automotive forum). Let's also stop acting like this wouldn't happen in any other country had the system and the tax structure been the same. No Western country had to deal with 30 years of Civil War in their own country, leading to the majority of their best and brightest either being killed or leaving the country.

Things aren't going to change overnight, or in five years (though maybe ten, who knows), no matter how much we would wish it or want it. But it will change. To those asking what problems are faced by professionals abroad, the problems are exactly the same as the ones in SL. I've lived in the US over ten years, having worked (in 14 different states for long and short durations, drawing a ballpark salary to you in USD, but which really isn't much money in terms of the cost of living here) in the private sector, and have seem the same type of corruption, laziness, backstabbing, complaining, red tape, and everything else that people in Sri Lanka complain about in the workplace (and I won't even begin to mention the problems outside of the workplace). And all for what? In SL, if you do achieve something in the workplace and in society, then you become well known and earn a lot of respect. You might also do that if you have a nice car :) Here, nobody would care if you're a multimillionare, cos there's always someone better than you, or with a better car. If there is anyone who denies this then they have either not lived abroad long enough, have not experienced much diversity where they are, or continue to view the West with rose tinted glasses. Whatever, it's their opinion, though I think they're not quite correct. Most people in the US (except for the select few) are not able to afford to pay even a basic car off outright, and spend 3-4 years and sometimes longer paying it off, while also racking up heaps of debt. That doesn't sound to me like a better deal. Like I mentioned before, I've dealt with car dealers here that would make the chaps in SL seem like loveable teddy bears.

And while the quality of life here may be richer, I don't consider the life it self to be remotely so, compared to most middle class lifestyles in SL. Those in poverty face the same problems worldwide so I won't get into that. And it really is time to stop comparing countries that have 60-300 million people, where there will obviously be a larger segment of capable folk, to 20 million people in SL who have been through much more than most of the world in the past 30 years.

Kaushama, thank you for believing in your country, but you surely did not expect it to be a bed of roses did you. I'm also following you in a couple of weeks time, and don't intend to ever leave again. Hopefuly we'll see some good times ahead, but please. let's just stop comparing and start doing.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I'm disappointed with the number of "SL Sucks," "No, YOU suck" posts on this forum lately. It's not going to get us anywhere.

PS- we can start by retiring the term "third world": http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/14/t...b_n_537814.html

Edited by SeanD

You were not a Collection Agent for the LTTE, by any chance, were you? :)

They had great 'salaries' too... lived the life.. ah.. those were the days.

Just thinking out loud... with a monthly salary of GBP 6000 AFTER taxes, how come you came back? You could have had it good there, right?

Something wrong with people in Sri lanka, they tag thing as luxury and super luxury, for instance, Apartments, recent Airport train, cars and some house hold items. Those items are normal these days and they are essential for, ever changing lifestyle. Itz not just politicians, people as well, we need a attitude change in sri lanka. Edited by saraprobe

You were not a Collection Agent for the LTTE, by any chance, were you? :)

They had great 'salaries' too... lived the life.. ah.. those were the days.

Just thinking out loud... with a monthly salary of GBP 6000 AFTER taxes, how come you came back? You could have had it good there, right?

I think itz bit rubbish, GBP 6000 is about Aus$15000.00 , No damn way, GBP 1500 - 2000 possible after tax :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

oh oh!

Now I shouldn't have told the numerical values! (-: But if you work hard you can earn that! he he he Envious is it?

I worked hard as I wanted to come back and take a proper chunk when I return! He he he

True love for country!

I never compared the two systems. It is ridiculous to do that. But attitudes and honesty! well I guess I can not compare those because we are an oriental spiritualistic Buddhist country! I do not worship them. I used to tell them point blank that they robbed us to live like that. I do not question my coming back. I love this country. But I honestly have a concern the way it heads. Mostly the attitudes! I do not see we will change our attitudes and will make it a honest society. Well we will see.

I am surprised people judge others by few comments made in a forum without knowing them. It is hard to believe that people like us came back while earning that much??? Guess if they volunteered to go to war zone giving up that much income? he he he

I am surprised people judge others by few comments made in a forum without knowing them. It is hard to believe that people like us came back while earning that much??? Guess if they volunteered to go to war zone giving up that much income? he he he

Its a somewhat anonymous forum mate.. we can be who we want to be... :) Earn as much as we want, drive whatever we want and say whatever we want.... :)

Its rare for someone who earns that much to come to SL... Yes.

People earning less than that and far more 'patriotic' choose to stay and keep earning... :)

:action-smiley-060:

Don't wrench your shoulder patting yourself on the back. Let's not forget where we were just over a year ago, and where we are now. Lets not ignore what a lot there remains to be done, and how the price of cars, while an inconvenience, and a method for unscrupulous businesspeople to make a fast buck, are not the be all and end all of life (sorry to say this on an automotive forum). Let's also stop acting like this wouldn't happen in any other country had the system and the tax structure been the same. No Western country had to deal with 30 years of Civil War in their own country, leading to the majority of their best and brightest either being killed or leaving the country.

Things aren't going to change overnight, or in five years (though maybe ten, who knows), no matter how much we would wish it or want it. But it will change. To those asking what problems are faced by professionals abroad, the problems are exactly the same as the ones in SL. I've lived in the US over ten years, having worked (in 14 different states for long and short durations, drawing a ballpark salary to you in USD, but which really isn't much money in terms of the cost of living here) in the private sector, and have seem the same type of corruption, laziness, backstabbing, complaining, red tape, and everything else that people in Sri Lanka complain about in the workplace (and I won't even begin to mention the problems outside of the workplace). And all for what? In SL, if you do achieve something in the workplace and in society, then you become well known and earn a lot of respect. You might also do that if you have a nice car :) Here, nobody would care if you're a multimillionare, cos there's always someone better than you, or with a better car. If there is anyone who denies this then they have either not lived abroad long enough, have not experienced much diversity where they are, or continue to view the West with rose tinted glasses. Whatever, it's their opinion, though I think they're not quite correct. Most people in the US (except for the select few) are not able to afford to pay even a basic car off outright, and spend 3-4 years and sometimes longer paying it off, while also racking up heaps of debt. That doesn't sound to me like a better deal. Like I mentioned before, I've dealt with car dealers here that would make the chaps in SL seem like loveable teddy bears.

And while the quality of life here may be richer, I don't consider the life it self to be remotely so, compared to most middle class lifestyles in SL. Those in poverty face the same problems worldwide so I won't get into that. And it really is time to stop comparing countries that have 60-300 million people, where there will obviously be a larger segment of capable folk, to 20 million people in SL who have been through much more than most of the world in the past 30 years.

Kaushama, thank you for believing in your country, but you surely did not expect it to be a bed of roses did you. I'm also following you in a couple of weeks time, and don't intend to ever leave again. Hopefuly we'll see some good times ahead, but please. let's just stop comparing and start doing.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I'm disappointed with the number of "SL Sucks," "No, YOU suck" posts on this forum lately. It's not going to get us anywhere.

PS- we can start by retiring the term "third world": http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/14/t...b_n_537814.html

I agree with you. I never judge people by few comments that they made. I am doing and have done enormous amount of work after I came back. People live in castles around colombo wouldn't have dreamed of doing those. I do not think we are a third world country. I never judge people by their cars and way they live. That is why I have the guts to use a reasonable car. But rest of the society do not. See how many questioned my earnings and going for a small car? COMMON WAY OF THINKING. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GIVE UP THAT LIFE AND COME BACK AND LIVE A CHARMING LIFE! HE HE HE WE WOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT! And If we had that chance we wouldn't have come is it?

Well I do not want to irritate people here anymore! Lets talk about new tax scheme and how we can get maximum out of it. If I really state my feelings and ways about how we should proceed, I am sure people here will suddenly change my label from "colonial loyalist" to a member of one infamous political party (which I hate). :action-smiley-060:

Edited by kaushama

I never compared the two systems. It is ridiculous to do that. But attitudes and honesty! well I guess I can not compare those because we are an oriental spiritualistic Buddhist country! I do not worship them. I used to tell them point blank that they robbed us to live like that. I do not question my coming back. I love this country. But I honestly have a concern the way it heads. Mostly the attitudes! I do not see we will change our attitudes and will make it a honest society. Well we will see.

Dude!! You talk as if outside Sri Lanka, rest of humanity are saints!!! You talk as if politicians elsewhere do not rob people, don't lie, don';t cheat and don't syander away public money...

We are what we are. You want change? Be the change. Stop bickering about how messed up this country is and how grateful the rest of the natives should be glad that people like you decided to come back. Come back and put your 'expensive' expertise in to practice. Perhaps more action and less bickering might actually make this country the Utopia you fantasize about.

But accept the fact that, Yes, our cars are expensive, Yes our politicians are corrupt, Yes, we have liars and cheaters in our midst. Yes, bonchi is 120 per kilo, wattakka is worse... petrol is not as cheap as it maybe from where you are. C200s may be not as cheap as you want them to be, and yes, Mervin Silva can be annoying at times.

But this is still OUR OWN. As flawed as it may be. Accept it, embrace it but stop crapping on the only block of land we have on this earth to call our own.

No more OT.. :)

Back to car prices please.

Its a somewhat anonymous forum mate.. we can be who we want to be... Earn as much as we want, drive whatever we want and say whatever we want....

Its rare for someone who earns that much to come to SL... Yes.

People earning less than that and far more 'patriotic' choose to stay and keep earning... .

Hey mate!

£65 an hour! At least 8 hours a day! At least five days a week! You are in charge of how to choose your hours (8 or 12) And number of days too. HIGH DEMAND FOR THE TRADE BECAUSE BRITISH BUGGARS DO NOT WANT TO STRESS THEMSELVES! If you have any friends check yourself!

No wonder British government has become envious of our trade and want to stop us robbing their money (new conservative buggars)! he he he

Yet most of people in my trade choose to come home after earning! Because they love home and work satisfaction you get here!

We are what we are. You want change? Be the change. Stop bickering about how messed up this country is and how grateful the rest of the natives should be glad that people like you decided to come back. Come back and put your 'expensive' expertise in to practice. Perhaps more action and less bickering might actually make this country the Utopia you fantasize about.

People who gets my service are more than happy and grateful for my ways buddy! I am putting that practice into good effect and have made good for those people. Anyway thank you for reminding! I am not prepared to accept "We are what we are" Will try to do changes in my own little way where I can do those! That is why this bickering about honesty and fair trade

! I am sorry if I hurt any ones feelings doing that! No reason to be if you are honest and fair!

Edited by kaushama