• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Is The Coolest Mobile Phone????

Was never a fan of the N97s. Three row keyboards annoy me. Ideally 5, but that is damn rare. The only 2 5-row keyboard Android sliders that comes to mind are the Original t-mobile G1 and my current LG GW620.

Nokia N97 mini. Say what you want about Symbian as an OS, it's hard to fault the build quality and overall value proposition of the N series. Having used one myself for going on a year and half, I'm struggling to find a worthy upgrade that stacks up, amidst the (wide) selection of new model smart phones on the market. Though not designed to be a rugged phone, the 97 mini, has withstood considerable abuse yet shows only minimal scaring. It's a shame Nokia are killing off Symbian in favour of Win7 mobile, call me crazy but I will always be a fan.

HTC has certainly improved a lot in the design and build quality of their phones but are yet to crack a rock solid implementation of a full slide out QWERTY, IMO. SE seems to be cutting corners with their materials and making good looking handsets that feel cheap and plasticky, while Samsung and Motorola are locked in a tussle to see who can release the most new models every quarter, saturating the market with a myriad of uninspiring, quirky phones that do little to advance the genre.

The Nokia E7 seems, on spec, like a very decent piece of kit but having tested one out recently I'm not sold on it either. It's a bit too big to be considered pocket-able IMO and then there's the non-replaceable battery and sub-par camera, all at an unjustifiably high price for the features on offer.

I'm sticking to my N97 mini for now, at least until the new Win7 mobile based models (from Nokia) come out later this year.

Being a fan of Nokia Symbians for couple years, after E71 couldn't find a worthy upgrade. not a fan of Virtual qwerty (Touchscreens - feels like toys) but inspired by the Build quality and ruggedness of BBs. :D

Was never a fan of the N97s. Three row keyboards annoy me. Ideally 5, but that is damn rare. The only 2 5-row keyboard Android sliders that comes to mind are the Original t-mobile G1 and my current LG GW620.

97 was one of the worst phone i have used, software issues, crappy keyboard and the worst part is the joystick is on the left side

Would you guys recommend a Galaxy tab?

I like the nice big screen that you can actually watch something on while in a bus or waiting for something rather than the tiny smartphone screens. Its not as bulky as an iPad + it has a phone. and currently there's a pretty nice offer in S'pore for it. Selling at SGD198 (abt LKR 18,000) with a 2 year plan. Qquite tempted by it, but the fact thats its not caught up so much worries me a bit. Ideas?

I like the nice big screen that you can actually watch something on while in a bus or waiting for something rather than the tiny smartphone screens. Its not as bulky as an iPad + it has a phone. and currently there's a pretty nice offer in S'pore for it. Selling at SGD198 (abt LKR 18,000) with a 2 year plan. Qquite tempted by it, but the fact thats its not caught up so much worries me a bit. Ideas?

Is it 18K plus the plan? In Aus they were selling them for $300 unlocked. They come down from something like $650. I would say wait for some time. :)

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3829&idPhone2=3370

Tab comes with Android Froyo and flyer comes with Ginger

Not a fan of 7inch tabs. Want a 10 at least. I know the size will be ok, by current netbook is 10.1, so comfortable with that size.

Personal wishlist -

10 inch

wifi only (no taking calls with that)

HDD.

Should be great for showing off photo portfolios without lugging laptops around. Besides, I plan to have an android phone too, so wifi hotspots so connectivity is not an issue.

Unfortunately, the only current HDD based one seems to be this -

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-160-Internet-Tablet-Android/dp/B002OL2PM4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306393048&sr=8-3

Has some snazzy features, but ridiculously limited, including no Market access. Waste.

However, this HDD thing might not matter soon, considering 128Gb SD cards are on the way.

so does that mean the HTC's better?

I also heard that the gorilla glass is stronger (hence better) but not as sensitive as an ipad/iphone

yeap. gorilla glass is strong, when we compare flyer and p1000 flyer got a better cam more Ram new os and got 1.5 ghz cpu, so yeah its better

so does that mean the HTC's better?

I also heard that the gorilla glass is stronger (hence better) but not as sensitive as an ipad/iphone

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/comparisons/843889/htc_flyer_vs_samsung_galaxy_tab_101.html

On this, the Flyer only wins on camera, on what the reviewer says "more megapixels are the way to our hearts". Something no self respecting SLR owner should ever agree with. I'd wager real money that the Original 6mp EOS Rebel will take better pics with a kit lens than this damn thing.

Tho this is the 10.1 inch ver. And that might be more expensive. And as I heard, might be Wifi Only. Like that.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/comparisons/843889/htc_flyer_vs_samsung_galaxy_tab_101.html

On this, the Flyer only wins on camera, on what the reviewer says "more megapixels are the way to our hearts". Something no self respecting SLR owner should ever agree with. I'd wager real money that the Original 6mp EOS Rebel will take better pics with a kit lens than this damn thing.

Tho this is the 10.1 inch ver. And that might be more expensive. And as I heard, might be Wifi Only. Like that.

I was using a galaxy tab few hours ago and yes gotta agree, the camera is ultra-shitty! between all smart phones the think the best camera i have seen is the iphone4. its so good, that looking through that screen is so real, you might even think someone removed the middle of the phone for the picture to just come right through. (ok, that might have been a bit of an exaggeration)

I was using a galaxy tab few hours ago and yes gotta agree, the camera is ultra-shitty! between all smart phones the think the best camera i have seen is the iphone4. its so good, that looking through that screen is so real, you might even think someone removed the middle of the phone for the picture to just come right through. (ok, that might have been a bit of an exaggeration)

I'm gonna have to slap you with the 40D next time I see you.

that review was based on Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G, it will be released in next month, check the Samsung P7100 Galaxy Tab 10.1v, thats one hell of a TAB with 8mp cam http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_p7100_galaxy_tab_10_1v-3831.php anyway this will be pretty expensive though, the cheapest option is Samsung P1000 Galaxy Tab, only P1000 support for GSM voice communication, SMS, and MMS

Edited by GihanFX

that review was based on Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G, it will be released in next month, check the Samsung P7100 Galaxy Tab 10.1v, thats one hell of a TAB with 8mp cam http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_p7100_galaxy_tab_10_1v-3831.php anyway this will be pretty expensive though, the cheapest option is Samsung P1000 Galaxy Tab, only P1000 support for GSM voice communication, SMS, and MMS

Yeah, but I don't want a 3G version. Just want a wifi tab.

edit: not interested in the voice either. Thats what the phone is for. And since the phone is there, mobile wifi hotspot means I can just link up and use the phones data connection.

Edited by Pericles

BTW, D, if you want a more budget 7 inch tab, was checking on Amazon and found these

ViewSonic ViewPad 7 (Seems fairly meh, but cheap!)

Dell Streak 7 Wi-Fi Tablet (Not too bad)

Acer Iconia Tab A500-10S16u 10.1-Inch Tablet (Looks good on paper, and any table that has a racing game with a Z in its advertising gets my vote!)

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch (Interesting. IPS display. Handy for photowork)

T-Mobile G-Slate 4G Android Tablet (Damn thats expensive! but lots of bells and whistles for your money. 4G connectivity and 3D video recording)

And the Xoom and Galaxy Tabs too

And the absolute monster (and similarly expensive) AASUS Eee Slate EP121-1A010M 12.1-Inch (Win 7, core i5! Man!)

Edited by Pericles

Yeah, but I don't want a 3G version. Just want a wifi tab.

edit: not interested in the voice either. Thats what the phone is for. And since the phone is there, mobile wifi hotspot means I can just link up and use the phones data connection.

ill defiantly go for the 3G one cus i can use a Airtel data package, 45 rs per day 1.5 gigs data and speedtest shows average 1MBPS speed in day time, this april i was about to buy the P1000 but thought of waiting for a TAB that comes with Super AMOLED screen or S-LCD

ill defiantly go for the 3G one cus i can use a Airtel data package, 45 rs per day 1.5 gigs data and speedtest shows average 1MBPS speed in day time, this april i was about to buy the P1000 but thought of waiting for a TAB that comes with Super AMOLED screen or S-LCD

The point is, if you already have a phone with that package, you can either tether or use mobile wifi hotspots to use the phones connection, then no need to have two packages.

Edited by Pericles

• 3 months later...

no you are not.....count me in too ..... i am not into touch screens as at yet..

I said rare, not unique :)

But I might have to reconsider. The iphone loving set are into the touchscreens, but SL still has a large base with Blackberry, even tho their global customer base is dwindling.

Doubt it will come here. The market seems trending more towards full touch phones. Only people who think like me (quite rare) want hardware keyboards.

I dont know, but for me the full touch is quite good.I'm currently using a vivaz,and it's not that hard to type in as it appears.This changed my view about full touch phones really.