• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

No To Speed Gun

VVTi

Senior Police DIG Nimal Lewke said today that the strategy to nab offenders with a high-speed gun has failed and the police should not use this tool in the future to monitor the speed of vehicles.

The DIG, who is in charge of the Wayamba province told reporters at a press briefing in Kurunegala that the strategy used by policemen to nab offenders by examining the speed of vehicles with the high-speed gun while in hiding has failed and thereby it should not be used in the future.

“Police officers should be on the road and examine the speed of vehicles. Then when drivers see these police officers they will control their speed in fear and will warn other drivers to control their speed as well,” DIG Lewke said.

The DIG also pointed out that 167 people have died in the Wayamaba province alone as a result of accidents within this year and added that this is a grave situation. (Daily Mirror online)

Buy a new montero and tint the windows to 99% and you can speed as much as you want.

good one mate :action-smiley-033:

Edited by tiv

i think this DIG is a tad off his rockers!

i mean most of us if not all have got copped for speeding...

so it kinda works in catching a few guys on and off!

in no means it's a fool proof system but it's stupid to say it doesn't work...

If all drivers know there is no possibility in getting copped for speeding...what would stop folks from flooring it all the way?

maybe installing cameras might be a better way to keep and eye on speedsters....cos permitting of course!

also having better highways so on longer trips drivers can travel at higher speeds safely without having to cut through cities and towns etc.

until such systems are brought in...speed gun should stay in!

A weekend drive out of town towards haputhale made it crystal clear that some retards have absolutely no respect for other motorists on pedestrians on the road. And a move like this will only encourage those donkeys even more

maybe installing cameras might be a better way to keep and eye on speedsters....cos permitting of course!

also having better highways so on longer trips drivers can travel at higher speeds safely without having to cut through cities and towns etc.

A weekend drive out of town towards haputhale made it crystal clear that some retards have absolutely no respect for other motorists on pedestrians on the road. And a move like this will only encourage those donkeys even more

Agreed! But of course... 'better highways' seems like a bit of wishful thinking to me.... :D

WTF, just last week I saw some cops trying to nab motorists with speed guns near beruwela

Who is correct? Cops in Beruwela or the DIG????? :D

The DIG, who is in charge of the Wayamba province

i think this DIG is a tad off his rockers!

i mean most of us if not all have got copped for speeding...

so it kinda works in catching a few guys on and off!

in no means it's a fool proof system but it's stupid to say it doesn't work...

If all drivers know there is no possibility in getting copped for speeding...what would stop folks from flooring it all the way?

Spot on mate.......I totally agree with you. Went to Trinco Friday and that was nuts cause of some jackasses who thought the road was their frickin backyard

to do as they pleased. Saw quite a few cops lying i wait for speeding offenders with their little toys out. Our driver got copped for 'cutting the line' on the Dambulla strech as well.......he ..errr, somehow managed to overcome the situation :P

Must've talked nicely to them........

Incidently, did any of you read the article on the front page of the Sunday Island? It was titled 'Law of the asses' LOL...an interesting article, complete with a pic

of the offending vehicle. Well done to the writer. :action-smiley-033:

WTF, just last week I saw some cops trying to nab motorists with speed guns near beruwela

Who is correct? Cops in Beruwela or the DIG????? :D

Machang I think this was announced yesterday...........

My opinion is speed guns should stay in, but there should be amendments done to the speed limits also. I once got copped doing 80 on the puttalam road - straight stretch and perfect road. Could have done 100 with no issue. On roads like this, the top limit should be increased while there are some roads I've been on where you can't do even 50, whilst the limit is 70. Limits should be enforced according to the roads - both in and out of colombo.

When doing long trips, I honestly exceed the limits at some places when the roads are good and clear. :-)

My opinion is speed guns should stay in, but there should be amendments done to the speed limits also. I once got copped doing 80 on the puttalam road - straight stretch and perfect road. Could have done 100 with no issue. On roads like this, the top limit should be increased while there are some roads I've been on where you can't do even 50, whilst the limit is 70. Limits should be enforced according to the roads - both in and out of colombo.

When doing long trips, I honestly exceed the limits at some places when the roads are good and clear. :-)

plus, there has to be sophisticated devices mounted steady as cops cannot shake or move the device to exploit the situation. Further this device should be able to capture the photograph of the vehicle where number plate is visible with the speed printed on it. So that cops won't be able to keep an old reading and fine you showing that. :P

• 6 months later...

Is this still enforced ?

This happen to yesterday to me.The cop was with a speed detector.

SL Police good for seek and hiding.

we were driving our vehicle in Panadura road.There were truck in front of us.suddenly cop jump in to road and signed to stopped the truck.Truck driver braked instantly.We barely stop vehicle without crashing.

Edited by vidu

Is this still enforced ?

This happen to yesterday to me.The cop was with a speed detector.

SL Police good for seek and hiding.

we were driving our vehicle in Panadura road.There were truck in front of us.suddenly cop jump in to road and signed to stopped the truck.Truck driver braked instantly.We barely stop vehicle without crashing.

There was never a law to stop using speed guns, But since there was a court case using speed guns during the trial was prohibited. Now the case is over and the police have every right to use speed guns <_<